Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh and Oklahoma City are not comparable. Raleigh is much larger. Raleigh's urban area is the same size as the entire Oklahoma city metro.

Raleigh (Triangle) pop. 2.2 million
Oklahoma City Metro pop. 1.3 million.

Oklahoma is a a decent size city however, but in no way is it a "BIG" city...
The fact the OKC even has an NBA team is a travesty (Yes I'm a bitter Sonics fan)

Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The fact the OKC even has an NBA team is a travesty (Yes I'm a bitter Sonics fan)
Seems like they support the Thunder pretty well. I think Seattle will get another expansion team eventually.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
I didn't realize that OKC has a land area of 620 square miles. Wow! That's less than 1,000 ppsm. Absolutely crazy.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM

159 posts, read 171,941 times
No way is OKC a "big city." With a metro population of 1.3 million I'd put it into the small city category.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like they support the Thunder pretty well. I think Seattle will get another expansion team eventually.
Hell, what else is there to do in OKC besides go to a basketball game or walk around Bricktown ? I will say that OKC's Downtown is pretty nice for a city of its size. The MAPS program did a lot to turn that area around.

As for this question, no. OKC is roughly the size of Memphis (City and Metro area). I consider both to be Mid-sized.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM

90 posts, read 113,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Hell, what else is there to do in OKC besides go to a basketball game or walk around Bricktown ? I will say that OKC's Downtown is pretty nice for a city of its size. The MAPS program did a lot to turn that area around.

As for this question, no. OKC is roughly the size of Memphis (City and Metro area). I consider both to be Mid-sized.
So what in your opinion makes a city "big"

Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
One city I don't know to much about is OKC. Is it big.. or a top 3 tier? I'm not basing on population but more on how it feels. Does it feel urban and big. I have only been here once. I'm from KC so let's compare to that in some ways
I would consider it a small metro. Kansas City, Charlotte, Indianapolis, etc are mid-sized. OKC is probably the least urban city its size in the country and therefore punches significantly below its weight. Tulsa and Omaha are both more urban and feel larger than OKC does. It's a tier below Memphis, Louisville, Jacksonville, etc and two tiers below Kansas City in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM

43 posts, read 60,249 times
Quote:
One city I don't know to much about is OKC. Is it big.. or a top 3 tier? I'm not basing on population but more on how it feels. Does it feel urban and big. I have only been here once. I'm from KC so let's compare to that in some ways
I wish KC had their large Devon Energy Center tower in our skyline.
Very nice development and some other things going on in OKC.
I only stayed there once 20 years ago and there were only 2 live music options in the entire city.
I've been through a couple of times since.
I'm sure the music and restaurant options have improved a lot since then.

Downtown OKC reminds me of Omaha's downtown.
I think Omaha is a bit more to my liking culturally.
I don't think OKC is a big city now.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
So what in your opinion makes a city "big"
I think it depends on perspective. I think cities like Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc are large enough to offer the "best of both worlds" between a large metro and a small metro. A person for instance could move from Atlanta to Charlotte or from the Twin Cities to Kansas City and not feel too deprived. OKC on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired, even when coming from Tier 2/3 cities. It's not uncommon to have to take routine trips to Dallas or Tulsa for amenities that OKC doesn't offer.

For somebody coming from rural America however, I think OKC would seem plenty large and vibrant enough and isn't a bad place to start. It's a tough adjustment from a larger or even similar sized city though.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I didn't realize that OKC has a land area of 620 square miles. Wow! That's less than 1,000 ppsm. Absolutely crazy.
Much of that 620 sq mi is rural. The central loop has a density of about 5,000/sq mi.

And, according to the Census Bureau, OKC's entire urban area (from 2010) is 411 sq mi.

Last edited by KayneMo; 07-25-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City