Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati or Dallas? Which city would you rather live in?
Cincinnati 87 48.07%
Dallas 94 51.93%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Dallas can feel like a collection of towns strung together in some ways, especially the disparate urban areas south of the Trinity River. Oak Cliff feels very separate from Pleasant Grove.

Cincinnati has more of an old-school charm to it, but I have no desire to live in the Ohio River Valley region, or put up with the local quirks of the people in Cincinnati. Dallas isn't my favorite city by any means, but I'd live there way before I'd even consider Cincy. It's a larger city, better economy, and seems to be more open to different people and different ideas (despite the fact that it's in Texas) way more than Cincy does.
I have to agree, Dallas is not my favorite city either, but to put up with the quirks of Cincinnati (I have other choice words that are inappropriate for this conversation) is a deal breaker for me. I would much rather live in a more vibrant, open city. At least Dallas is attempting to make an effort to urbanize. Cincinnati is urban in a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 06:15 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Oh bless your hearts. Stick with suburban "cities."

Otherwise show us Dallas' OTR or other neighborhoods that can touch Cincy.
OTR has good urban bones, but it's redevelopment is in pockets. There's still A LOT of blight.

Dallas' more urban areas are far more ahead in gentrification and development.

The most urban older areas of Dallas are the Deep Ellum area and the older parts of the CBD.

There are types of neighborhoods in Dallas that you just don't see in Cincy either.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 AM

538 posts, read 658,403 times
Each city is a halfway house for the NFL

Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
OTR has good urban bones, but it's redevelopment is in pockets. There's still A LOT of blight.

Dallas' more urban areas are far more ahead in gentrification and development.

The most urban older areas of Dallas are the Deep Ellum area and the older parts of the CBD.

There are types of neighborhoods in Dallas that you just don't see in Cincy either.
I'm not aware of any type of neighborhood in Dallas they they don't also have in Cincinnati. Most of Dallas's most unique neighborhoods are streetcar suburbs which Cincinnati has plenty of. I guess you could make the point that there are more tutor style homes in Dallas than Cincinnati which is true, but different types of neighborhoods? naw. As much as I love Deep Ellum, it isn't OTR. Deep Ellum is more of an entertainment district at this point than neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:44 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Each city is a halfway house for the NFL
Oh boy now you've done it

Old 08-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not aware of any type of neighborhood in Dallas they they don't also have in Cincinnati. Most of Dallas's most unique neighborhoods are streetcar suburbs which Cincinnati has plenty of. I guess you could make the point that there are more tutor style homes in Dallas than Cincinnati which is true, but different types of neighborhoods? naw. As much as I love Deep Ellum, it isn't OTR. Deep Ellum is more of an entertainment district at this point than neighborhood.
I guess I should say that Cincy doesn't have the variety of neighborhoods that Dallas has. Cincy has more older areas, but that modern urban neighborhood feel that you get in a lot of areas of Central Dallas is missing from Cincy.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
I guess I should say that Cincy doesn't have the variety of neighborhoods that Dallas has. Cincy has more older areas, but that modern urban neighborhood feel that you get in a lot of areas of Central Dallas is missing from Cincy.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same cities. I get the exact opposite impression. You have to remember that Cincy was a top 10 biggest city for almost the whole 19th century, so you get alot of styles that you simply don't find in Dallas. Cincy also was one of the first cities to have street car neighborhoods, which make up most of Dallas's best neighborhoods.

Dallas is currently much larger, but besides maybe more uptown apartment donuts, and having more height in the CBD, I can't think of anything architecturally has that Cincy doesn't also have.

Cincy has much more urban neighborhoods. OTR is a real neighborhood, for better or worse. What we now call Deep Ellum (that which wasn't destroyed by the highway), is more an entertainment district than neighborhood. Most people used to live over by State/Thomas.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Another one of those "Really, dude; really?" posts...
Amen to that! This should be more like a Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh or Cincy vs. Saint Louis thread, but that's just me. Maybe Cincy vs. Louisville, or Cincy vs. Nashville?

Anyway, I'd vote Cincinnati. The weather is actually pretty perfect, and you don't get weather extremes there that are too very hot, nor too cold. If there's any factors I hate about Chicago among the most, it's always been how very cold and snowy certain winters can sometimes get here! Plus, Dallas(per looking at traditional maps, and Google Maps) seems excessively sprawled as crap, vs. Cincinnati. And also, there aren't a lot of cities nearby that one could travel to from the DFW area, besides like Oklahoma City, Houston, or any of the Texas ones south of there on the I-35 corridor. From Cincy, you aren't too far from Indianapolis, Louisville, Columbus, Dayton, and even Lexington, KY.

I might be a little biased, since I've always liked those nearby cities from Cincy myself. And since I'd rather have weather that wasn't too hot nor too cold, easy win for Cincy.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same cities. I get the exact opposite impression. You have to remember that Cincy was a top 10 biggest city for almost the whole 19th century, so you get alot of styles that you simply don't find in Dallas. Cincy also was one of the first cities to have street car neighborhoods, which make up most of Dallas's best neighborhoods.

Dallas is currently much larger, but besides maybe more uptown apartment donuts, and having more height in the CBD, I can't think of anything architecturally has that Cincy doesn't also have.

Cincy has much more urban neighborhoods. OTR is a real neighborhood, for better or worse. What we now call Deep Ellum (that which wasn't destroyed by the highway), is more an entertainment district than neighborhood. Most people used to live over by State/Thomas.
Yes, there's a lot of variety of older types of neighborhoods. Cincy doesn't have variety in the sense that it doesn't mix in the modern types of neighborhoods that you see in Dallas.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Yes, there's a lot of variety of older types of neighborhoods. Cincy doesn't have variety in the sense that it doesn't mix in the modern types of neighborhoods that you see in Dallas.
Please provide examples of these modern neighborhoods, maybe using Google Maps! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City