Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State with best BBQ if you could only have one.
North Carolina 18 14.63%
South Carolina 13 10.57%
Georgia 7 5.69%
Tennessee 24 19.51%
Alabama 5 4.07%
Texas 39 31.71%
Kansas 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM

187 posts, read 214,370 times

Advertisements

I would say the North Alabama white sauce is overrated and isn't even offered at most BBQ restaurants that I've been to in the Bham/Gadsden area. It's basically mayo, which I don't like and don't give much credit to since it's not exactly an addition worthy of culinary acclaims. Just an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
There seems to be several people saying "Georgia"...I live in Atlanta now so if there are any recommendations please shoot em my way. Don't say SmokeJack either...overrated
While I wouldn't pick Georgia ahead of Memphis, KC, or South Carolina (all places where I've tried various BBQ options), in Atlanta I liked Fox Bros. very much. Fat Matt's is supposed to be good, but didn't get there. Also really liked Rolling Bones, but they apparently closed a couple years ago after a fire.

In Memphis, really liked the Bar-B-Q Shop, Neely's (now closed), and A&R. Central BBQ and Blues City Cafe were decent. Didn't like either Corky's or Interstate, though to be fair they were tried at their airport outposts. Both Rendezvous and Payne's were closed for vacation.

In KC, really liked Joe's Kansas City BBQ, Fiorello's Jack Stack, and Arthur Bryant's. Gates was okay.

In South Carolina, liked Maurice's Piggie Park in downtown Columbia very much (wouldn't try them until their controversial owner passed away, though), and Bessingers in Charleston was good. Both do mustard based BBQ.

Did try the Salt Lick outpost (considered an example of Texas BBQ) at the Oklahoma City airport, which was good. It's now closed as well.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Texas.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM

12,827 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
While I wouldn't pick Georgia ahead of Memphis, KC, or South Carolina (all places where I've tried various BBQ options), in Atlanta I liked Fox Bros. very much. Fat Matt's is supposed to be good, but didn't get there. Also really liked Rolling Bones, but they apparently closed a couple years ago after a fire.

In Memphis, really liked the Bar-B-Q Shop, Neely's (now closed), and A&R. Central BBQ and Blues City Cafe were decent. Didn't like either Corky's or Interstate, though to be fair they were tried at their airport outposts. Both Rendezvous and Payne's were closed for vacation.

In KC, really liked Joe's Kansas City BBQ, Fiorello's Jack Stack, and Arthur Bryant's. Gates was okay.

In South Carolina, liked Maurice's Piggie Park in downtown Columbia very much (wouldn't try them until their controversial owner passed away, though), and Bessingers in Charleston was good. Both do mustard based BBQ.

Did try the Salt Lick outpost (considered an example of Texas BBQ) at the Oklahoma City airport, which was good. It's now closed as well.
Salt Lick in Texas is pretty far down the list of great bbq. Great ambience and fun, but food wise, eh......

Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 AM

187 posts, read 214,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Salt Lick in Texas is pretty far down the list of great bbq. Great ambience and fun, but food wise, eh......
Agree, if you want real Texas bbq, find an open pit place somewhere.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
I would say the North Alabama white sauce is overrated and isn't even offered at most BBQ restaurants that I've been to in the Bham/Gadsden area. It's basically mayo, which I don't like and don't give much credit to since it's not exactly an addition worthy of culinary acclaims. Just an opinion.
A restaurant around here puts it on smoked chicken wings and it's lovely for that. I'm not sure I would want much of it on a full sandwich, but it can go well on some things.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:37 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can't drive anymore, so the airport outposts of Salt Lick will be the only opportunity I'll have to try them. I thought the one at the OKC airport was good, actually.

There may well be better Texas style BBQ than this chain -- hopefully I'll have the chance to get to Texas and try other places (like Black's, Kreuz Market, and Smitty's in Lockhart, Franklin and Iron Works in Austin, Sonny Bryan's in Dallas, Angelo's and Railhead Smokehouse in Ft. Worth).

Old 08-10-2017, 04:42 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,133 times
Texas. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City