Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville vs. Indianapolis vs. Cincinnati
Louisville 23 28.05%
Indianapolis 15 18.29%
Cincinnati 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
People (at least on polls on here) seem to be less likely to pick places based upon job market, and more likely based upon things to do, environs, etc. which makes sense. Most people on here aren't imminently planning to move to either of these 3 (if the question was asked that way, the results would be way different).

I actually happen to think Indianapolis is a really cool, underrated Midwestern city, and that people that skip out on it are missing out. It has the things you said, plus underrated topography and cool towns in the southern exurbs (Columbus, Bloomington, and has great proximity to Chicago and one of the most beautiful spots of Lake Michigan. Also, it's downtown is built almost a bit like DC on a smaller scale with all the monuments and parks everywhere, plus it has made itself very bicycle friendly.

That being said, I think the general consensus of voters is that it's not on the water, it's relatively flat, and it doesn't have as historic or distinct a culture/cityscape as the other two. That may be wrong, but that's why the results are flowing the way they are.
Louisville and Cincinnati are simply much more impressive snd seeing a massive urban renaissance on both sides of the river in both metros.

This is a tight race but Louisville fills fresher, feels hipper, and has a better food scene.
Cincy and Indy have a slight edge on upscale shopping, but I've heard Cincinnati pays Saks to stay open.
Louisville has more and bigger festivals...such as Eddie Vedder coming to a new blockbuster festival,Bourbon and Beyond

Louisville's urban neighborhoods are ahead of both cities in gentrification, but Cincinnati has by far the most potential due to the size difference in metro areas. Louisville has the nicer and more connected waterfront with better festivals.

Cincinnati has a few things Louisville lacks, mainly pro teams and Findlay market. From an entertainment standpoint, Louisville now gets more big mame concerts and UofL basketball, like Texas football in Austin, is basically a pro experience with luxury boxes, upscale food and cocktail lounges in the arena.

I'm a huge champion for Louisville but I disagree it blows out the other too. If you combine these 3 coties you have a perfect city...Indy's downtown with Louisville's hip neighborhoods and food with Cincinnati culture, urbanity sports.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I wouldn't even necessarily say more impressive. The way public spaces have been mapped out in Indianapolis, it's event venues, economy, companies, bike infrastructure, a suburb like Carmel, all those are things that the other two would gladly take. But immediately yes, people's perception when they think Indianapolis is "bland Midwest plains" much more so than they would think that about Cincinnati or Louisville. I guess in urban scale they are better too, but at the same time Indy along the canal and in those spaces is just stunning, also.

I won't disagree with you on Louisville feeling fresher or hipper than Cincinnati, I don't know the two that well. But, I would say on the other side of that coin, Cincinnati might feel more established, professional, walkable, historic etc. They seem to have similarities, but at the same time be complimentary cities (perfect example even added on, Cincinnati being primarily northern/Midwestern influences, Louisville being southern first, but then also with a decent amount of northern/Midwestern influence (from what I understand).

I think the other big thing Cincinnati has on Louisville is the topography and viewlines. Cincinnati from places like Mount Adams is just stunning, one of the most beautiful urban vistas anywhere in the states (hard to compare to differently styled, non American skylines of course): https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...Adams-View.jpg

Actually though, was quite surprised to find that Louisville and Cincinnati are both about the same proximity to the mountains (because Louisville was so far west and Cincinnati has the degree of topography it does, it just seemed to be closer.) Still though, the views and general aesthetic help Cincinnati for sure.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM

192 posts, read 241,965 times
Please, please stop including Indianapolis in these comparisons. I spent some time scouring city vs. city polls, and Indianapolis has never once led a poll, against any legitimate competition. Simply put, it is the single most disliked city on this forum, and the stats back it up. Indianapolis vs Fallujah...I'm not even sure which way that one would go.

So my advice would be to believe absolutely nothing written about Indy from anyone who hasn't spent at least 3 years living there. And certainly don't take the word of some of the more jingoistic homers from our cities to the south who aren't qualified to weigh in on the subject. I'm certainly not going to weigh in on any of the particulars as I don't have the time to devote to the subject that some of the "chamber of commerce" posters seem to have.

Please, continue this pointless pissing match, but leave the America's red-headed stepchild out of the conversation.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Please, please stop including Indianapolis in these comparisons. I spent some time scouring city vs. city polls, and Indianapolis has never once led a poll, against any legitimate competition. Simply put, it is the single most disliked city on this forum, and the stats back it up. Indianapolis vs Fallujah...I'm not even sure which way that one would go.

So my advice would be to believe absolutely nothing written about Indy from anyone who hasn't spent at least 3 years living there. And certainly don't take the word of some of the more jingoistic homers from our cities to the south who aren't qualified to weigh in on the subject. I'm certainly not going to weigh in on any of the particulars as I don't have the time to devote to the subject that some of the "chamber of commerce" posters seem to have.

Please, continue this pointless pissing match, but leave the America's red-headed stepchild out of the conversation.
Why get defensive?

What answer does Indianapolis have for the Highlands? Crescent Hill? Olc Louisville? Butchertown? Downtown New Albany even?

Over the Rhine? Mt Adams? Hyde Park?

Indianapolis isn't horrible...the city put all its eggs in downtown development and thus you have a beautiful mile square, a gentrifying 2 mile square, then miles of ghetto until you reach nice suburbs. I'd argue Carmel is nicer than Mason, OH or Oldham County, KY which are their counterparts south. Broad Ripple is not even the major counter culture area in Indiana so I'm not impressed by that.

CD is full of architectural and urban neighborhood enthusiasts and most here agree Indy is lacking there...it wasn't a major city in the 1800s like Louisville and Cincinnati

Old 08-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why get defensive?

What answer does Indianapolis have for the Highlands? Crescent Hill? Olc Louisville? Butchertown? Downtown New Albany even?

Over the Rhine? Mt Adams? Hyde Park?

Indianapolis isn't horrible...the city put all its eggs in downtown development and thus you have a beautiful mile square, a gentrifying 2 mile square, then miles of ghetto until you reach nice suburbs. I'd argue Carmel is nicer than Mason, OH or Oldham County, KY which are their counterparts south. Broad Ripple is not even the major counter culture area in Indiana so I'm not impressed by that.

CD is full of architectural and urban neighborhood enthusiasts and most here agree Indy is lacking there...it wasn't a major city in the 1800s like Louisville and Cincinnati
Here we go.

Indianapolis has no answer for anything Louisville has. And certainly no answer for anything Cincinnati has. So I won't bother refuting this.

Please, continue spouting your stuffingly ill-informed and pig-ignorant opinions of Indianapolis. We'll just keep doing what we're doing up here, because it's clearly working.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Here's some objective information about some of the positive things happening in Indianapolis, free of the jingoistic rantings commonly found in the cesspool that is the city vs city forum.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#544a5e7338f6

Millennials, Meet Indianapolis, Your New Dream City - NBC News

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-indiana.html

Why Milktooth Chef Jonathan Brooks Can't Get Enough of Indianapolis - Condé Nast Traveler

Best Place to Live in America - Carmel Indiana Ranked Best Place To Live In United States By Niche

Indianapolis - Broad Ripple and Downtown - SkyscraperPage Forum

The Emerging New Aspirational Suburb | Newgeography.com

Check these out, visit for yourself and don't rely on the opinions of biased, uniformed boosters of other cities have to say. Also, do the same for Cincinnati and Louisville. They're both lovely cities too. And to be honest, you can drive from any of these three cities to the other in 90 minutes...when you live in one, you get to take advantage of all three.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:08 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Hi CentralCarmel. Happy Friday

While I think Louisville is the best of the three, I'd take Indy over Cincinnati. Cincinnati beats Indy in terms of natural scenery and skyline, but by all other metrics, I think Indy does quite well for itself. I was very impressed by all of the big monuments all over Indianapolis that are lit up beautifully at night. I loved the bike trails that cross the city. I found the residents rather friendly and open. I thought Fountain Square was a fun neighborhood with a lot of character.

I also disagree that Indy is the redheaded stepchild of city-data. That prize, from what I've read, probably belongs to Phoenix or San Jose.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 08-04-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Here's some objective information about some of the positive things happening in Indianapolis, free of the jingoistic rantings commonly found in the cesspool that is the city vs city forum.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#544a5e7338f6

Millennials, Meet Indianapolis, Your New Dream City - NBC News

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-indiana.html

Why Milktooth Chef Jonathan Brooks Can't Get Enough of Indianapolis - Condé Nast Traveler

Best Place to Live in America - Carmel Indiana Ranked Best Place To Live In United States By Niche

Indianapolis - Broad Ripple and Downtown - SkyscraperPage Forum

The Emerging New Aspirational Suburb | Newgeography.com

Check these out, visit for yourself and don't rely on the opinions of biased, uniformed boosters of other cities have to say. Also, do the same for Cincinnati and Louisville. They're both lovely cities too. And to be honest, you can drive from any of these three cities to the other in 90 minutes...when you live in one, you get to take advantage of all three.
I think Louisville probably has the most positive press. A simple google search will prove that. Indy's a fine town but most would agree it's not an urban neighborhood city. And that's ok. I also agree tge 3 cities complement each other very well. Each city lacks at least one major thing making them less than they could be

You want objective data? Here are 37 accolades for Louisville for one year alone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insider...ouisville/amp/

Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I'm a Louisville homer, and love it to the core.

But I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't getting more love. From a job market standpoint, it's night&day better. The tech market is on the rise majorly and is bringing in ALOT of money making tech companies & employees . Plus it's still a very affordable area overall.

That being said, I'll take Louisville anyway, over Indianapolis & Cincinnati
Indianapolis usually comes in last place or near the bottom in these city vs city threads on City-Data Forums. I think most people overlook and under estimate Indianapolis. Indianapolis is like the Rodney Dangerfield of American cities - it gets no respect. At least not the respect it deserves.

In one way, that's a good thing. It keeps the prices lower than most cities and in another way it's not so good because it loses smart people to areas of the country that are more attractive, better weather, and more exotic and exciting places to live. Indy needs to get creative and think "outside the box" in order to attract desireable educated transplants to the Indianapolis region.

I voted for Indianapolis because it's the one of the 3 that I know best and it's close proximity to Muncie.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-04-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think Louisville probably has the most positive press. A simple google search will prove that. Indy's a fine town but most would agree it's not an urban neighborhood city. And that's ok. I also agree tge 3 cities complement each other very well. Each city lacks at least one major thing making them less than they could be

You want objective data? Here are 37 accolades for Louisville for one year alone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insider...ouisville/amp/
And this is precisely why it's pointless to engage in conversation with you on any comparison with Louisville. Your jingoistic, blind homerism reeks worse than the Ohio River on a swealtering hot, humid Louisville day. KCMO used to be the most insufferable homer on City-Data, but congratulations...you've taken the crown.

Enjoy Louisville. I certainly do. But for what I need out of a city, Louisville simply doesn't compare to Indianapolis. Cincinnati, on the other hand...I could make that work. But in all honesty, as midwestern river cities go, both Cincy and Louisville are poor competition compared to Pittsburgh and Saint Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.