Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville vs. Indianapolis vs. Cincinnati
Louisville 23 28.05%
Indianapolis 15 18.29%
Cincinnati 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2017, 09:20 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Indy is certainly getting better. As far as neighborhoods, I also really like Woodruff Place, Windsor Park, Old Northside and Herron Morton. I think Bates-Hendricks and Garfield Park have some serious potential. Honestly for me Indy's downtown is the most vibrant of the three but it's also very bland and sterile. Indy also seems to have no plans ever for rail transit. The BRT seems to be slow in coming and a bit half-assed.
How is the BRT half assed? The Red Line has a dedicated lane and traffic prioritization the whole way to Broad Ripple last I heard. There will also be protected bike paths on the Downtown segment. And there's a brand new transit center Downtown. I don't know much about the other lines, but the airport connection on the Blue Line looks half assed.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Well it's not the worst but it's not that great either. Dedicated lanes are only downtown to BR, nothing in the southern segment (though perhaps not as needed) and it's just one line. Obviously something is better than nothing but I'm just saying.

In Jax we got our BRT system launched with 3 phases opening about 6 months apart. The last 2 phases are expected to open about 1.5 years and 2.5 years later. Of course, ours is even more half-assed...although the routes are far more comprehensive than Indy's it is far less "BRT" and really just better (you might say decent) bus service.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Which city has jobs available? Logistics, retail, manufacturing, blue collar, IDC.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Definitely Louisville has tons. 31,000 open jobs....many paying 30/hr for manufacturing with little to no education requirement. They are begging for people to fill these jobs.

https://insiderlouisville.com/busine...ill-open-jobs/

Louisville's Mayor was on the national news yesterday....as he was named top Mayor in the US. Louisville has added over 63,000 jobs lately. You can see the momentum in the city with literally construction everywhere. If you have not been here in over a year, you will be shocked.

Louisville mayor on Charlottesville violence, social mobility and jobs - Videos - CBS News

Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Definitely Louisville has tons. 31,000 open jobs....many paying 30/hr for manufacturing with little to no education requirement. They are begging for people to fill these jobs.

https://insiderlouisville.com/busine...ill-open-jobs/

Louisville's Mayor was on the national news yesterday....as he was named top Mayor in the US. Louisville has added over 63,000 jobs lately. You can see the momentum in the city with literally construction everywhere. If you have not been here in over a year, you will be shocked.

Louisville mayor on Charlottesville violence, social mobility and jobs - Videos - CBS News
Cool. But what about mass transit? I don't need trains; buses will do.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:43 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Nobody seems to like Indy on city data for some reason, even Detroit and Cleveland get more love than Indy. I never met many people in real life that did not like Indy.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM

89 posts, read 140,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I am surprised Cincinnati is getting so love much, I like it but it has a lot of short comings as well, good place to raise a family thou(Cincinnati Metro).
I as well. I live in Indy and I was in Cincy a few months ago and I was totally not impressed. The Kentucky side of the river is a overgrown small town. Over the Rhine is basically the same thing as Broadripple and Mass Ave; and, I never heard of Mt Adams and Hyde Park. The only good things to me is Kings Island and Great American (i.e. Wrigley on the Ohio), a great place for cheap Cubs tickets.

Ah Cincy and St Louis: basically the same as Indy but enjoy putting Indy down and acting like they are on par with Chicago.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
I as well. I live in Indy and I was in Cincy a few months ago and I was totally not impressed. The Kentucky side of the river is a overgrown small town. Over the Rhine is basically the same thing as Broadripple and Mass Ave; and, I never heard of Mt Adams and Hyde Park. The only good things to me is Kings Island and Great American (i.e. Wrigley on the Ohio), a great place for cheap Cubs tickets.

Ah Cincy and St Louis: basically the same as Indy but enjoy putting Indy down and acting like they are on par with Chicago.
OTR the same as Broad Ripple? lol. If you have not heard of Hyde Park and Mt Adams...you have not been to Cincinnati other than a cursory meander off the interstates.

The Highlands in Louisville alone smokes anything in Indy.
Indy is simply not a neighborhood city, and that is ok.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:16 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Cool. But what about mass transit? I don't need trains; buses will do.
There are buses...Most major cities have buses, and Louisville is no exception

Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 PM

192 posts, read 242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
OTR the same as Broad Ripple? lol. If you have not heard of Hyde Park and Mt Adams...you have not been to Cincinnati other than a cursory meander off the interstates.

The Highlands in Louisville alone smokes anything in Indy.
Indy is simply not a neighborhood city, and that is ok.
It's crazy to say that anything in Indy compares well to OTR. Heck, outside of Chicago there's very few neighborhoods in the entire midwest that compare well to it. Hyde Park and Mt Adams are also fine neighborhoods.

The Highlands...please. There's nothing even remotely unique about anything along Bardstown Rd and the adjacent neighborhoods that can't be found in any city with a metro population over one million. It's handy because anything remotely desirable in the city is along that one corridor, but lets not pretend it's something special.

Your boosterism and jingoism reeks. I sincerely hope you're paid to get on here and spout this garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.