Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Honest question: what do you do that only requires you to wear shorts and a T shirt? Sure, if all you ever wear are T Shirts and shorts then yeah, it probably is a lot quicker and cheaper to dress in Dallas than Chicago.

Most people don't just wear shorts and Tshirts all the time. I wish I could.

Again, putting on a jacket isn't some crazy feat of engineering. You really can just sort of throw it on unless you are spending an extended period outside in which case it maybe takes an extra 30 seconds?

As for people keeping warm in Chicago winters, yeah, its basically the same concept you will find here in the summer. People will dress to try to be as comfortable as possible and then find climate controlled environments to warm up or cool off. Go out to the bars in the summer in Dallas an you will find people doing their best to stay cool with AC. "I'm so hot, lets go inside" is a pretty common phrase you hear people say as you push through the sweaty masses to get inside a bar this time of year.
In winter up north, you run from your house to your car which has heat and to the building at work anyway so people only need a coat.

I never had to scratch ice or snow from my windshield because I had parking garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
You think anywhere up North has a garden that can match? If yes, then show me; I'll be waiting.
Match it in similar trees, no. Match it in beauty.....most definitely!!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
That view is hardly an exception. Heck, Dallas has gardens that look like this:

Tony

Show me ANYWHERE in the North that can match, and then we can talk. I'll even let you use the Northeast (which is milder than the Midwest where Chicago is). I'll wait.
Images from Buffalo, NY, comparable weather to Chicago:

Winter at the historic Botanical Gardens in Buffalo:

Outdoor winter activities in Buffalo while Dallas endures freezing rain:

Playgrounds

Skating

Sledding

Skiing

Old 08-13-2017, 12:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Winter temperatures in Chicago are mild most of the time. Low temperatures aren't commonly below zero in the city limits of most of the urbanized portions of Cook County that contain the automated stations of O'Hare and Midway airports. The Upper Midwest like Duluth and northern Wisconsin have actual winters with many subzero low temperatures by comparison. Try a foot of snow on the ground by November and a foot of snow still melting in May.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I never claimed objective truth, weather is a personal opinion. And yeah, I do think the roads argument is pretty irrelevant to the conversation about weather you might as well bring up common foundation issues in North Texas at that point.

My point about "impassible roads" was hyperbole in response to your previous post that I thought over emphasized the inconvenience of getting around in the winter.

Sorry if that offended you so badly.
Yes, "you obviously know nothing." Your personal attacks don't warrant a better response.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting on a picture from an area up North that can compare to what I showed for Dallas. Until then, none of your babbling matters.

Oh and DC and coastal Virginia are in the South.
Why on earth are you asking about Palm trees as a BOAST FOR DALLAS? Do you think anyone finds Dallas looks like Miami or San Diego where any decent number of homes ---- have palm trees in a lush garden setting? Even Houston doesn't much near the Gulf with its suburbs? Greenery is still .... BY FAR. As up north.

This is getting too extreme to find a unique location as if even remotely ...... close to common? Then act like Dallas has this through its neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
In winter up north, you run from your house to your car which has heat and to the building at work anyway so people only need a coat.

I never had to scratch ice or snow from my windshield because I had parking garages
Well ..... many people up north have garages too.

Take Chicago in the topic. It is a city with a street-grid 90% built with alleys behind housing including retail corridors on main streets.

Any visitor too the cities neighborhoods? See these alleys .... ARE LINED WITH GARAGES and car ports. Many they use most of its winters? In heavy snows maybe not? As alleys might not be plowed like the fronts.

*** I can give you ALL the street-views you want to prove it too ....

But my point is Chicago has no shortage of garages with homes. Especially compared to other cities. But still a urban dense standard built. Apartment and condo dwellers less.

Navy Pier in Chicago the biggest tourist attraction in the Midwest (gained it back this year I heard).
Since its evolving in the 80s and remodel this past year still ongoing.
Has a PALM and TOPICAL FOLIAGE ATRIUM between buildings ...... ALL YEAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psypDwRKqyM

Back in 2007-2013? Chicago planted PALMS on its main downtown beach IN THE SAND.
Sadly they would die in winter. Then just planters till the city stopped and palms plants
are just are only by the Tiki-bar. But it certainly made it look like it could be in Florida them years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvsPvMYcokc

2009 video very shaky and Low-definition. But still shows
when this city did palms in the sand near the water.
Especially by the Tiki bar near end of video.
But no more palms but all else remains w/tiki bar palms yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZUQucndYSg

YEAH ..... I KNOW! THREAD NOT ON CHICAGO SUMMERS.....

But the IRONEY of this video THIS FEBUARY ...... short and kind of boring.
But February of 2017 some young dudes playing volleyball on a Chicago downtown beach ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHh-5sutRS4

Of course, this isn't every year. But every few a low snow or mild winter or portion?
Makes it possible. But I'd rather its beaches in summer....

My favorite over North Ave beach just outside of downtown Chicago on its north shore.
Posted the video early in the thread. My favorite so here again .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

*** Yeah I know ....... not on summer in Chicago. But still nice.
BUT SOMETHING DALLAS DOESN'T HAVE ---> ANY TIME OF YEAR.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Yes, "you obviously know nothing." Your personal attacks don't warrant a better response.
Look at your original post. Those were your words, I simply put them in bold.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Match it in similar trees, no.
And that's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Images from Buffalo, NY, comparable weather to Chicago:

Winter at the historic Botanical Gardens in Buffalo:
First three pictures are summer photos (so no pictures of plants actually staying green in winter), and the final photo was taken in a greenhouse. You're going to have to do better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why on earth are you asking about Palm trees as a BOAST FOR DALLAS? Do you think anyone finds Dallas looks like Miami or San Diego where any decent number of homes ---- have palm trees in a lush garden setting? Even Houston doesn't much near the Gulf with its suburbs? Greenery is still .... BY FAR. As up north.

This is getting too extreme to find a unique location as if even remotely ...... close to common? Then act like Dallas has this through its neighborhoods.
Nothing you say matters unless you can show me a picture of anywhere up North that has a garden like this:

http://dallaspalms.com/Tony's%20garden,%20Best%20of.htm

Last edited by Texyn; 08-13-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
And that's that.

First three pictures are summer photos (so no pictures of plants actually staying green in winter), and the final photo was taken in a greenhouse. You're going to have to do better than this.

Nothing you say matters unless you can show me a picture of anywhere up North that has a garden like this:

Tony
I don't like that garden...said that before. Who wants one like that? Your "garden" settles....not a thing.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't like that garden...said that before. Who wants one like that? Your "garden" settles....not a thing.
Whether you like the garden or not is irrelevant to the point at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City