Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I dont know...
We had the choice of Phoenix or Tampa/St.Pete and chose Tampa after visiting Phoenix a couple of times and house hunting etc. We did not like the Phoenix area much more than a vacation spot after being there. Brown Tan Brown Tan Brown Tan....

But honestly, Florida hasnt been much better. almost 6 months in and the beaches have grown old, the heat has definitely stuck around, jobs are ok but still looking for a better option for myself but having a hard time. Really hard to meet people here that are into other things than water activities, beer or festivals. We have lived in some great areas around the country and I would take any one of them back right now if I could. Even Minneapolis. we put weather at the top of our priority list over friends, family, jobs, everything. We thought as long as we were mentally happy we could grow to love everything else. We tried moving back to family and near friends and that didnt work either. Ultimately, it comes down to what you WILL go out and do not what you COULD go out and do. We find outselves being home bodies because we have a pool so why go to the beach, its nice out so lets sit outside and enjoy, its too humid lets watch a movie. see my point. When we lived in Washington DC we had a little townhouse so we were gone as much as possible just to escape. Turns out we did so many things and made so many memories. Turns out the "worst place we ever lived" probably was the best thing for us.
Wow! What a good, honest post. So often the grass seems greener on the other side. I too had elevated weather above many things when we were looking to move, but found out that good weather without the other things that make ones life full (family, friends, fulfilling work, etc.) the dream can quickly become a nightmare. I hope you find your "home" soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM

53 posts, read 51,780 times
I'm from the Northeast, I've been living in Jacksonville for about two years, and I spent the last two months in Phoenix.

I've been all over Florida and saw a lot of Arizona when I was there. Florida beats Arizona hands down.

Florida has it's major flaws, I'm not going to deny that, but overall it feels more "soul and organic" than Arizona.

I did an internship out in Phoenix for two months, decide to experience living there since one of my good friends moved out there years ago and I enjoyed visiting one time several years ago.

After about one week I knew Phoenix wasn't for me, for the reasons listed below:

Hot! Yes it's dry heat but once it gets into the high 90s-100s it's brutal dragon fire. You walk outside and it feels like an oven, super uncomfortable. There is a lack of relief from the heat with little shade and no ocean/lakes/springs nearby. It also lasts several months from May to October. I just left one week ago and it was still high of 98-100. In Florida, the brutal humidity starts in June and ends around labor day. It's much more pleasant in Jacksonville right now than in Phoenix. You have much more relief from the heat in Florida with the thunderstorms, shade, lakes/springs/rivers, and costal breezes.

Unpleasant scenery and landscape in Phoenix. I'm not a fan of the brown desert landscape with little vegetation. I also don't like the architecture and how every building is a shade of tan. There are mountains but I find other ranges much more scenic like the Rockies, Cascades, and Adirondacks. OTOH, Florida is lush, subtropical/tropical vegetation, lots of beautiful flowers, water, with lots of variety of architecture everywhere (brick in Gainesville, old Spanish style architecture in St. Augustine, colorful homes on the beach, and anything in between).

Lack of interesting culture, diversity, and good food in Phoenix. Not saying there isn't anything of this in Phoenix, but for a metro it's size it sure is underwhelming. The food was alright but nothing to write home about, very trendy but not particularly spectacular. Phoenix also seems to lack ethnic diversity with the majority of the population being Mexicans, Midwesterners, or African Americans. Florida is much more diverse both regional and international with Northeasterners, Midwesterners, Southerners, African Americans, Caribbeans, Cubans, South Americans, Filipinos, etc. This also makes the food scene much better in addition to having great seafood. I will give Phoenix the edge for more vegan/vegetarian options though.

People. I just overall found the population in Florida to be more sophisticated and well educated in the populated areas. I notice a lot of uneducated, low class people in Phoenix. Obesity rate seems to be higher in Phoenix and a lot of people didn't make an effort to have a nice appearance or dress well outside Scottsdale. People are also easier to make friends with and open in Florida, as a lot of people were much more reserved in Phoenix, but this could also be an east coast vs. west coast aspect more.

I think the abundant water in Florida allows more opportunities for outdoor activities than Phoenix. Florida you can swim, boat, paddleboard, kayak, scubadive, snorkel. Phoenix is limited to just hiking and biking, and half the year it's too hot or even dangerous to do those activities.

If I had to live in Arizona, I'd prefer Northern Arizona, much better weather, scenery, and mountains. I think other western states like Colorado, Montana, and Idaho have much more spectacular scenery than Phoenix.

Last edited by BigBlue123; 10-17-2017 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
I'm from the Northeast, I've been living in Jacksonville for about two years, and I spent the last two months in Phoenix.

I've been all over Florida and saw a lot of Arizona when I was there. Florida beats Arizona hands down.

Florida has it's major flaws, I'm not going to deny that, but overall it feels more "soul and organic" than Arizona.

I did an internship out in Phoenix for two months, decide to experience living there since one of my good friends moved out there years ago and I enjoyed visiting one time several years ago.

After about one week I knew Phoenix wasn't for me, for the reasons listed below:

Hot! Yes it's dry heat but once it gets into the high 90s-100s it's brutal dragon fire. You walk outside and it feels like an oven, super uncomfortable. There is a lack of relief from the heat with little shade and no ocean/lakes/springs nearby. It also lasts several months from May to October. I just left one week ago and it was still high of 98-100. In Florida, the brutal humidity starts in June and ends around labor day. It's much more pleasant in Jacksonville right now than in Phoenix. You have much more relief from the heat in Florida with the thunderstorms, shade, lakes/springs/rivers, and costal breezes.

Unpleasant scenery and landscape in Phoenix. I'm not a fan of the brown desert landscape with little vegetation. I also don't like the architecture and how every building is a shade of tan. There are mountains but I find other ranges much more scenic like the Rockies, Cascades, and Adirondacks. OTOH, Florida is lush, subtropical/tropical vegetation, lots of beautiful flowers, water, with lots of variety of architecture everywhere (brick in Gainesville, old Spanish style architecture in St. Augustine, colorful homes on the beach, and anything in between).

Lack of interesting culture, diversity, and good food in Phoenix. Not saying there isn't anything of this in Phoenix, but for a metro it's size it sure is underwhelming. The food was alright but nothing to write home about, very trendy but not particularly spectacular. Phoenix also seems to lack ethnic diversity with the majority of the population being Mexicans, Midwesterners, or African Americans. Florida is much more diverse both regional and international with Northeasterners, Midwesterners, Southerners, African Americans, Caribbeans, Cubans, South Americans, Filipinos, etc. This also makes the food scene much better in addition to having great seafood. I will give Phoenix the edge for more vegan/vegetarian options though.

People. I just overall found the population in Florida to be more sophisticated and well educated in the populated areas. I notice a lot of uneducated, low class people in Phoenix. Obesity rate seems to be higher in Phoenix and a lot of people didn't make an effort to have a nice appearance or dress well outside Scottsdale. People are also easier to make friends with and open in Florida, as a lot of people were much more reserved in Phoenix, but this could also be an east coast vs. west coast aspect more.

I think the abundant water in Florida allows more opportunities for outdoor activities than Phoenix. Florida you can swim, boat, paddleboard, kayak, scubadive, snorkel. Phoenix is limited to just hiking and biking, and half the year it's too hot or even dangerous to do those activities.

If I had to live in Arizona, I'd prefer Northern Arizona, much better weather, scenery, and mountains. I think other western states like Colorado, Montana, and Idaho have much more spectacular scenery than Phoenix.

Pretty unspecific for someone who spent two months here, what did you do? How did you miss the 7 lakes that literally surround the valley.

I feel the same way about Florida as you do Arizona, zero interest in the flat landscape and humid weather. It just doesn’t work for me, glad you found what works for you.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
he forgot to mention hurricanes, and the horrific bug nightmare you get to enjoy year round in Florida
the only good thing about Florida is that its a popular place to go to die, once you are over 70 years of age..

to each his own, but Florida would NEVER be a option for me..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:

I appreciate your candid observations/comparisons between Florida (Jacksonville) and Arizona (Phoenix). I agree with you that Florida has a lot going for it in terms of diversity, scenery and things to do. Briefly lived in Daytona and loved being so close to the ocean, but disliked the city itself. However, I am curious as to how much of Phoenix, in particular, and Arizona, in general, you actually got to see? You mentioned that hiking and biking were the primary outdoor activities, but not sure how you missed the lakes where people paddleboard, go tubing, fish, swim and kayak...like Florida! True, we do not have an ocean and believe me I wish we did! However, the mountains, especially in Northern Arizona, offer fantastic camping opportunities along with seasonal weather. As for the uneducted and low class people you mentioned in relation to Phoenix, I will let others address that. I will say that the recent spat of hurricanes changed my thinking about living in Florida. The entire peninsula is vulnerable to hurricanes which are quite unsettling. The worst Arizona gets is an occasional heatwave or haboob (dust storm). From what I can recall FEMA has never been called for any of those yet!😉 I say all that to state different strokes for different folks. Florida is a wonderful state in its own way as is Arizona.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Pretty unspecific for someone who spent two months here, what did you do? How did you miss the 7 lakes that literally surround the valley.

I feel the same way about Florida as you do Arizona, zero interest in the flat landscape and humid weather. It just doesn’t work for me, glad you found what works for you.
I'm glad some people still prefer Florida as it prohibits even more influx into Phoenix. He can have Florida. I see little worthwhile in that state outside of the Grapefruit League. LOL.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 PM

640 posts, read 957,058 times
Quote:

Wow, so you formed this opinion after 1 week here? Yes, we are all uneducated and low class; and yes we are all either mexican, black or midwest. I think we are all glad you are moving back to Florida

Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Wow, so you formed this opinion after 1 week here? Yes, we are all uneducated and low class; and yes we are all either mexican, black or midwest. I think we are all glad you are moving back to Florida
Indeed. Another reason not to move to Florida with folks like him there. lol.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,803 times
I moved to Arizona 12 years ago from Boca Raton Florida. No place is perfect but AZ IS THE BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER LIVED.
All factors considered Arizona is the hands down winner.
1. better weather(7 months are better than Florida and the summer is more bearable than Florida)
2.closer proximity to weekend vacation areas(california,vegas,mexico and N arizona)
3 much less bugs
4 friendlier people( more people with core family values live in Az)
5 better housing available in AZ (newer and cheaper)and cheaper home insurance
6 cheaper food costs due to having over a dozen different food stores in AZ as opposed to 1 major monopoly in Florida (Publix)
7 This is the reason I moved (no natural disasters in Arizona where in Florida you never no when life or property will be ruined by a hurricane or a tornado)

Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
I think other western states like Colorado, Montana, and Idaho have much more spectacular scenery than Phoenix.
You speak of AZ's "uneducated" population, then go and make an absurd statement such as this? LOL

So you're going to compare entire states' scenery to one city's scenery? Seems fair. If that's the case, let me try! I think Arizona's scenery is far more spectacular than Jacksonville's!

I will give Florida the upper hand when it comes to housing stock. There's no contest there. But everything else I give to AZ: weather, COL, crime, natural disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City