Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 PM

461 posts, read 554,279 times

Advertisements

I wasnt ever considering AZ at one time, I used to see videos there with mexicans fighting the americans there at protests sometimes although I heard they come from California usually.

But now since someone talked to me, this someone may offer to give me room and board in Mesa Az. I currently am in St Petersburg FL but not too happy here, crime is bad, jobs are scarce and it may be more politically correct for someone like me.

Good things I hear about AZ despite dry heat into the 110s. Lower crime, cheaper areas, decent people, more jobs. People can move there and be more lower educated and make it or find jobs there more so than people can in states or areas where people have to bring their experience and their own jobs with them. I hear its a less rigged economy in AZ if that makes sense. FL imo is a very rigged job economy that only wants certain people working. You are very privileged here if you have a full time job. Most people cant find them and then theres also the good thing in AZ how theres no natural disasters vs FL with hurricanes or CA with the earthquakes.

And in my time in FL I knew 2 people who were in Arizona or Phoenix area but came to the St Pete area. One guy told me he made a lot more money in AZ for construction and considered his move to Pinellas County to be a downgrade. Another thought Tampa Bay area had too much corruption or rich and poor disparities which it does. He ended up moving to Arizona. Also FL is more expensive, wages are lower. Some transplants may come from similar regions though to Arizona like they do in FL.

So what are your thoughts, should a 36 yr old single guy seeking a good change and getting on my feet again give AZ a shot? I been out of work for a long time in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
I wasnt ever considering AZ at one time, I used to see videos there with mexicans fighting the americans there at protests sometimes although I heard they come from California usually.

But now since someone talked to me, this someone may offer to give me room and board in Mesa Az. I currently am in St Petersburg FL but not too happy here, crime is bad, jobs are scarce and it may be more politically correct for someone like me.

Good things I hear about AZ despite dry heat into the 110s. Lower crime, cheaper areas, decent people, more jobs. People can move there and be more lower educated and make it or find jobs there more so than people can in states or areas where people have to bring their experience and their own jobs with them. I hear its a less rigged economy in AZ if that makes sense. FL imo is a very rigged job economy that only wants certain people working. You are very privileged here if you have a full time job. Most people cant find them and then theres also the good thing in AZ how theres no natural disasters vs FL with hurricanes or CA with the earthquakes.

And in my time in FL I knew 2 people who were in Arizona or Phoenix area but came to the St Pete area. One guy told me he made a lot more money in AZ for construction and considered his move to Pinellas County to be a downgrade. Another thought Tampa Bay area had too much corruption or rich and poor disparities which it does. He ended up moving to Arizona. Also FL is more expensive, wages are lower. Some transplants may come from similar regions though to Arizona like they do in FL.

So what are your thoughts, should a 36 yr old single guy seeking a good change and getting on my feet again give AZ a shot? I been out of work for a long time in FL.

Is there any way you could come out for a while and stay with them for a while to see if you like it out here? The Phoenix area is so spread out that you really need to come out and get a good feel for the area before settling in Mesa. Not that it's a bad area but it's a good idea to come out first before jumping in head first. I think it would be a good move from what you posted but a little more info would be helpful. What field are you looking into for jobs? That too could determine where you should be located in the valley as traffic is a nightmare if you're on the east side and have to commute to the west and vice versa.

I'm originally from MA and couldn't stand the weather there any longer along with the high cost of living and the politics. I came out here for a visit back in 2011 and loved the area but couldn't believe how spread out everything is compared to MA. If you're use the the heat and humidity in FL you should have no problem here. It does get humid here during monsoon season but still nothing like FL and only last a couple months. June will be the hottest and driest month,we can see temps 112-115 and a few days pushing 117 but you just do everything early in the day. Personally I love the dry heat and can tolerate it much better than the cold and snow back east so I don't really mind the summers here. Maybe after 10+ years I might but for now I don't mind them at all. One of the best things about living here too,no natural disasters!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Is there any way you could come out for a while and stay with them for a while to see if you like it out here? The Phoenix area is so spread out that you really need to come out and get a good feel for the area before settling in Mesa. Not that it's a bad area but it's a good idea to come out first before jumping in head first. I think it would be a good move from what you posted but a little more info would be helpful. What field are you looking into for jobs? That too could determine where you should be located in the valley as traffic is a nightmare if you're on the east side and have to commute to the west and vice versa.

I'm originally from MA and couldn't stand the weather there any longer along with the high cost of living and the politics. I came out here for a visit back in 2011 and loved the area but couldn't believe how spread out everything is compared to MA. If you're use the the heat and humidity in FL you should have no problem here. It does get humid here during monsoon season but still nothing like FL and only last a couple months. June will be the hottest and driest month,we can see temps 112-115 and a few days pushing 117 but you just do everything early in the day. Personally I love the dry heat and can tolerate it much better than the cold and snow back east so I don't really mind the summers here. Maybe after 10+ years I might but for now I don't mind them at all. One of the best things about living here too,no natural disasters!
Oh wow me and you may have to talk more man. I am also from Mass. Lowell area. Actually Billerica I grew up in. My mom is in CA currently but wants to move back to MA but personally myself, I dont think theres anything to go back to really. My family is aging, my uncles wont see me that much. 3 of my 4 grandparents are dead. so maybe the hurricane will hit it and there wont be any going back. But anyways..

A lot of urban areas are spread out now. My field for jobs.. I've done grocery stores, I probably could get employed in some states in warehouse I am thinking. Not in FL though, I think FL sucks to look for those kind of jobs or even manufacturing. I am an old school type, misplaced in 2017. I dont fit with the corporate world type environment where most jobs in an area are only given to college graduates or low educated types are competing at a very high rate to get the few jobs that there are. And coincidentally enough, its usually in the places with a lot of greenery like Portland or Tampa Bay where theres no jobs, people come for retirement but AZ seems to offer a nice combo of retirement but also opportunities for others too.

Where I am, the crime I'd say is definitely higher overall. Again though not looking to go to Phoenix really. Mesa/Tempe more than likely I'd stick to.

As far as heat, I see Arizona as hot but I wonder if people literally heat pizza on the hood of their cars instead of using the microwave. The humidity has been more of an annoyance to me also and the bugs and knats that FL has. I am just so sick to death of the St Pete/Sarasota area, cant get ahead or meet people, cant find work.. nobody out here really as a friend or family member. I am pretty much alone. My stepdad did live here when I returned to FL but he passed so theres not much reason for me to be here now really.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
There might be a lot of work in Florida in a couple days.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
I'm not sure where you're getting the "FL is rigged for jobs" thinking from. I lived in Tampa for 6 years and never had a problem finding work. I'm in accounting and tax. Looking at the job ads for my field, I still see a lot of openings. Are you sure it's not your attitude that kept you from getting work, rather than a "rigged system"? Because if it's the former, things won't change for you in AZ.

I do agree though that wages may be better in AZ than FL right now. If my field is anything to go by, wages in FL nosedived in 2007-2008 and do not appear to have rebounded to their former levels. OTOH, in AZ, wages in my field nosedived in 2007-2008 as well but have not only rebounded, but are up a bit from what I used to see prior to the 2008 crash. I do not know if that is the same in your field or not.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Ive known two people who left AZ for FL and are doing better there than here. I guess its all up to the individual.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
I wouldn't choose arizona as a destination if I was on the ropes financially because there really isn't a safety net here. There is effectively no unemployment insurance, no welfare & no housing assistance for single adults & our landlord/tenant laws are heavily in favor of the landlord. It's just not a good place to be poor. I also disagree that housing is "cheap" - there are cheap places to live, but they're not that nice.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I wouldn't choose arizona as a destination if I was on the ropes financially because there really isn't a safety net here. There is effectively no unemployment insurance, no welfare & no housing assistance for single adults & our landlord/tenant laws are heavily in favor of the landlord. It's just not a good place to be poor. I also disagree that housing is "cheap" - there are cheap places to live, but they're not that nice.
In FL I haven't been living on housing assistance either you know. I pretty much have to rely on possibly room and board to get on my feet, find a job then maybe work something out, be able to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere. If I meet someone.. maybe buy a house? I don't know. I am convinced AZ is the best place in the whole country to move to though. Its not being hit with disasters for starters, it may survive before the NW and California does and even the east coast. It doesn't hurt that freedom types do go there to live anyhow. I would expect the welfare or housing assistance programs or things for people with small disabilities like aspergers would be very thin however, it could have a reverse effect kind of like it does in New Hampshire. The roads are still good, theres still services of some kind, people may be easier to meet. If that's the tradeoff I am all for it. Sometimes states (Like MA) with too many services are bad in other ways.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting the "FL is rigged for jobs" thinking from. I lived in Tampa for 6 years and never had a problem finding work. I'm in accounting and tax. Looking at the job ads for my field, I still see a lot of openings. Are you sure it's not your attitude that kept you from getting work, rather than a "rigged system"? Because if it's the former, things won't change for you in AZ.

I do agree though that wages may be better in AZ than FL right now. If my field is anything to go by, wages in FL nosedived in 2007-2008 and do not appear to have rebounded to their former levels. OTOH, in AZ, wages in my field nosedived in 2007-2008 as well but have not only rebounded, but are up a bit from what I used to see prior to the 2008 crash. I do not know if that is the same in your field or not.
Judging by what I heard from someone who observed my personality, she thinks I'd be a fit for AZ. Gotta see what happens with this hurricane where I am but right now, I still have AZ on my possible radar. And 2 other people I knew who I met here, one moved to AZ, one moved from AZ to here but told me he considered it a downgrade in pay and didn't like Tampa area as much. At the time of course I didn't get why one guy moved to AZ as I was under the impression it was a warzone with illegals and americans or even the indigenous people in general. Someone told me different though or that a lot of those protesters come from California.

From the data I have, AZ and FL are both transplant and retirement oriented however, AZ looks to be the better option for finding a job and getting on your feet anyhow. Even after you secure your housing. So I may go for that. Its a bit younger than FL is my guess overall.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,557 times
Default Phoenix is better than St.Pete/Tampa/Clearwater

I'm a native of Tampa, FL, and grew up in St. Petersburg. I relocated here about 4.5 years ago and I'm happy with my move. There's the obvious differences, drier climate, less bugs, mountains, etc. And the hurricanes...I remember evacuating from Hurricane Elena back in 1985. I'm sure glad I didn't have to be there for this one.

I also like the overall look and feel of Phoenix more than the TB area. It's faster paced, more people, and has an awesome freeway system. If you're from Florida you'll feel right at home here, as there is abundant sunshine and palm trees. But unlike Florida, this massive city in the desert has a clean and crisp, brown look to it, almost high tech looking! Even the dry desert air has this inspirational high-tech smell to it. All these things override any sentimental feelings you might get of back home in FL.

Now, I'm one of these ones who came out here without a Bachelor's degree or any skill set. Some may feel I have nothing to offer the economy here. But I don't care, I moved here for my own well being. I do my menial job excellent. And besides I'm working on a better career in computer technology.

And it sure is nice being a co-owner of a house here, along with my brother. I have a nice big two car garage. I couldn't have afforded a home like this in the TB area.

I hope you guys stay safe the next couple days. And when you get on your feet again, you deserve a trip to Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I live in Tampa and have the good possibility of losing my home in the next few hours because of Irma.
This entire ordeal is way to stressful to ever go through again.
Does Phoenix have any natural disasters? Wind storms, floods, fires? I am so over hurricanes, tropical storms, humidity, mosquitoes etc.
I am looking into a place to live in the southwest where I could enjoy life without worrying that my life is going to be taken or my home destroyed.
Any imput is greatly appreciated. Please send positive thoughts my way. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City