Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM

205 posts, read 279,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
As a long time Dallas resident I had a chance to visit SF recently.

Overall my feeling is that I would move there in a heartbeat if I had the money. Unfreakingbelievable!

Here's a more detailed breakdown:

1. Obviously cost of living is SF >>>>> DFW. A 2000 square foot house in SF or the surrounding suburbs is at least double the cost of a comparable house in DFW.

2. No gas stations at all in SF. It's insane to have a car there. Uber or BART system is a must. Otherwise you have to pay $50 a day for parking (which you can't even find because there's not enough of it)

3. SF scenery >>>>> DFW. Despite the fact that there is a tight landlocked area, SF has chosen to limit the amount of construction/concrete that goes up whereas there is no limit in DFW. SF has rolling mountains and hills and FORESTED areas within the city limits! There are long stretches of roads going thru dense forested areas within 5 miles of downtown SF.

4. SF has a much more healthy and athletic population. There are literally THOUSANDS of people riding bicycles on a daily basis there. The levels of obesity in SF are much lower. Obviously weather plays a role and it's hard to ride your bike when it's 105 outside.

5. Fast food is virtually non-existent in SF. I'm not sure if there's some kind of ordinance in SF banning fast food or if the rents are so high that no fast food joints can afford it.

6. Diversity is obviously much higher in SF. There was an awesome moment I had at the Golden Gate bridge. While taking a selfie with my family I could hear at least 7 distinct languages from other families doing the same thing.

Overall I was struck by how "cosmopolitan" SF is compared to Dallas. DFW feels provincial by comparson despite the huge increase in the hispanic population over the last few decades.
No offense but why are we even comparing SF to Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM

964 posts, read 876,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
No offense but why are we even comparing SF to Dallas?
Because he wants to. He can compare any city in the world to any other city in the world. DFW is a major metro area. SF is a major metro area. Seems to me the comparison is spot on.

Why are so many people on this forum so worried about what other people post about?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
SF is vibrant and Dallas is sleepy: no comparison

Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM

205 posts, read 279,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Because he wants to. He can compare any city in the world to any other city in the world. DFW is a major metro area. SF is a major metro area. Seems to me the comparison is spot on.

Why are so many people on this forum so worried about what other people post about?
Because its like me comparing my 2015 Toyota Camry to your Aston Martin DB11......

Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/

There's a whole forum for that.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
You need to travel more if you are even thinking about comparing SF to DFW. They are not in the same league on so many levels.

But, just because you didn't see gas stations or fast food places -- I assure you there are many!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM

390 posts, read 389,154 times
A better comparison would be sf and plano. Plano is world class

Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM

379 posts, read 367,503 times
My husband went to SF a few months ago for work. Neither of us had ever been there before. He was in the finance area, wherever that is. I asked him how he liked it. He said there was an overwhelming number of homeless people there, which overshadowed everything else for him. Admittedly, he was there for just a few days and didn't get to look around much.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 AM

554 posts, read 683,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just a few comments. We've had a little place in SF proper for many years.

5). According to HUD a family of 4 living on $105,000 is considered "low-income" in SF proper and the local poverty line for a family of 4 in SF is around $60,000.
While we may be a ways from being there, it feels like Dallas is trending in this direction. I know a number of couples who can't afford a home with $100,000 combined income in this city. Especially if they've had to take out loans for school to get them to that earning bracket. I also know a lot of 30 and 40 something year old folks who can't get a job for over $40k to save their lives (not for lack of trying or education). Not to mention the rising cost of homes and how that factors in. Five years ago, it was relatively easy to find a home for sub-$200K in a good neighborhood with good schools - it's a lot harder now.

Dallas may not be as expensive as SF yet, but the gap sure seems to be narrowing. Though, on the plus side, as EDS mentioned, you can get a LOT more house for your money here - especially on the higher end of the market. We had friends that bought on the SF peninsula right after the housing crash - 1025 sqft, 1 bathroom, and over a million dollars - and they thought they got a bargain!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
From someone who has spent 8 years in L.A. I would take DFW over San Francisco. It's way less expensive, the people are friendlier, it's not very smug, the weather is superior, IMHO.

Part of this is how NorCal people would give massive amounts of s*** to SoCal people over their superiority. What for? They are the same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City