Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More bilingual?
Miami 20 27.40%
Montreal 53 72.60%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM

375 posts, read 331,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Man, some of you guys in these comments aren't even hiding the fact that you're simply correlating a non-white face to being non-English speakers.
This goes to the point that you have no experience with Miami. Most of the Latinos in Miami are White and have White faces. If someone's standard of English speaking = White Face, they'd think there were hardly any immigrants in Miami.

Miami is not Los Angeles or Houston where most of the Spanish speakers are of "mixed racial" background.

I also wouldn't go so far as to say everyone under 35 speaks English in Miami, let alone is fluent. Where are your statstics for this? In Miami, over 50% of people are foreign born and have a mother tongue other than English.

I do have a property in Miami Beach, and hired contractors last year to do some renovations there. None could speak English, and some of them were under 30 years old. I was forced to call the head contractor's wife to translate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
This goes to the point that you have no experience with Miami. Most of the Latinos in Miami are White and have White faces. If someone's standard of English speaking = White Face, they'd think there were hardly any immigrants in Miami.
What are you talking about? I wouldn't know the exact statistics, but many of the mulattos and Blacks there speak Spanish. This isn't 1975 where most of the Spanish speakers come from the upper crust of Cuban and Colombian society, nowadays Miami's Latin population is much more varied. Outside of the old school Cubans and upper class Venezuelans/Colombians, most of the Spanish speakers would be considered non-white.

Quote:
I also wouldn't go so far as to say everyone under 35 speaks English in Miami, let alone is fluent. Where are your statstics for this? In Miami, over 50% of people are foreign born and have a mother tongue other than English.
Mother tongue =/= can't speak English. My mother tongue isn't English. That doesn't mean I can't speak it.

And here's the census numbers on it:
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

Out of the 2,490,835 Spanish speakers who live in South Florida, 1,319,105 speak English well (which implies fluency) and 1,171,730 speak English less than very well (which could range from they don't know it at all, to "I don't feel comfortable filling out this form"). Taking the stats at face value, yes that means over 50% of Spanish speakers in Miami can speak English fluently.

Quote:
I do have a property in Miami Beach, and hired contractors last year to do some renovations there. None could speak English, and some of them were under 30 years old. I was forced to call the head contractor's wife to translate.
So that's the typical Miami Spanish speaker under 30, someone working for a contractor? If I walked onto any high school or university campus and spoke in English, no one would understand me? If I walked onto FIU, would most of the conversations be in Spanish or in English?

Think about this one for a second - lets say you're stranded in Hialeah for whatever reason and your cell phone is dead. Who would you trust to have a better knowledge of English, a young person or an older person? You'd be lying if you said the older person.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I wouldn't know the exact statistics, but many of the mulattos and Blacks there speak Spanish.
The vast majority are White - White Cubans, White Venezuelans, White Argentineans, etc. The vast majority.
You'd know this if you spent time in Miami.

Quote:
Mother tongue =/= can't speak English.
No one said this, however it's a strong indication that many of them don't speak English. Your claim that all under 35 speak English is just not true. And indicates you're just making up things as you go along.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Being an American English speaking forum, more people are likely to have experience living in Miami than Montreal so people's POV goes between "wow I can totally survive here doing touristy stuff" (Montreal) and actually living in a place (Miami).

The POV of a Spanish speaker about Miami and a French speaker about Montreal are two completely different things, and its not one I'd expect most Anglophones to really get because its hard to relate to. That's where this disconnect comes from.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Being an American English speaking forum, more people are likely to have experience living in Miami than Montreal so people's POV goes between "wow I can totally survive here doing touristy stuff" (Montreal) and actually living in a place (Miami).

The POV of a Spanish speaker about Miami and a French speaker about Montreal are two completely different things, and its not one I'd expect most Anglophones to really get because its hard to relate to. That's where this disconnect comes from.
In the northeast, Montreal is a popular vacation spot, especially for people who want to party (and do hookers). So don't underestimate people's experience with Montreal either. From my place in Brooklyn, I can drive to Montreal in about 6 hours during light traffic conditions. Obviously a lot faster if I take a plane.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No one said this, however it's a strong indication that many of them don't speak English. Your claim that all under 35 speak English is just not true. And indicates you're just making up things as you go along.
It's funny because there are stats riddled throughout this thread, including my own provided by the US census, yet you completely go by your anecdote about some contractors you hired as proof of something. All while real life evidence, including my own experiences at FIU or the French Canadian poster's POV, is considered "just making up things as you go along"

I'll let you have this one. I'll let the average reader make up their own mind what to believe. Queires tu premio?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 AM

676 posts, read 960,479 times
Quote:

Quote:
In the northeast, Montreal is a popular vacation spot, especially for people who want to party (and do hookers). So don't underestimate people's experience with Montreal either. From my place in Brooklyn, I can drive to Montreal in about 6 hours during light traffic conditions. Obviously a lot faster if I take a plane.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
i would venture a guess that your average us-american has visited miami but not visited montréal.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
It's funny because there are stats riddled throughout this thread, including my own provided by the US census, yet you completely go by your anecdote about some contractors you hired as proof of something. All while real life evidence, including my own experiences at FIU or the French Canadian poster's POV, is considered "just making up things as you go along"

I'll let you have this one. I'll let the average reader make up their own mind what to believe. Queires tu premio?
The statistics you posted don't support anything you said, in fact they support what I have said. So I didn't bother addressing them. In case you forgot, you said "Everyone under 35 speaks English" which is just false.

Also, as I stated, you clearly have little to no experience with Miami. So I'm confused why you're talking about her.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i would venture a guess that your average us-american has visited miami but not visited montréal.
Across the entire USA, sure. But if we focus in on just the northeast, then I'm not so sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City