Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 04:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times

Advertisements

These two cities are in the top 10 in N.A for metro population - actually very close to one another in population. They are also two of the fastest growing large urban areas on the continent.

From my experience in here, Toronto is often critiqued as being bland and generic and I don't see Dallas getting rousing reviews about its streetscapes either, so perhaps these are a good vs pairing for urban streetscapes and are closer to parity with one another than to others!? So - have at it! Toronto v Dallas urban streetscapes. Which is better? Any part of the urban area of each can be used, not just the central cores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 04:16 PM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
I've been to Canada, but not to Toronto, and have never been to Dallas. So, definitely not qualified to comment "which is better." However, not sure this is a fair comparison. Even though you say these two cities are very close in population, Toronto is the most important city in Canada, and Dallas is not nearly the most important in the US. Just stating a fact. Since Toronto is Canada's premier city, wouldn't one expect more?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I've been to Canada, but not to Toronto, and have never been to Dallas. So, definitely not qualified to comment "which is better." However, not sure this is a fair comparison. Even though you say these two cities are very close in population, Toronto is the most important city in Canada, and Dallas is not nearly the most important in the US. Just stating a fact. Since Toronto is Canada's premier city, wouldn't one expect more?
Well Dallas has a larger GDP actually and they both have similar growth rates and Dallas is the largest metro region in the U.S South. Toronto is the largest metro in Canada and the largest city economy in the country but Canada only has 39 million people, not many more than Texas and a lot less than the U.S south. Montreal gets more acclaim for its urbanity than Toronto and they are also on a similar level culturally, so i'm not so sure this is an 'unfair' comparison. Toronto generally loses to cities like Chicago, Montreal, Philly, Boston and obviously NYC for urban streetscapes so I thought well - maybe Dallas?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:31 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Dallas by far

Old 03-16-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas by far
Can you provide some meat to this though?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:42 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Yea I, kinda need an explanation on that too.. ..Dallas is fine don't get me wrong but I am lost as to how it could dominate Toronto in Urban Streetscapes.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,843,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Can you provide some meat to this though?
No, because it ain't true.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yea I, kinda need an explanation on that too.. ..Dallas is fine don't get me wrong but I am lost as to how it could dominate Toronto in Urban Streetscapes.
I thought I provided an explanation though - similar size in population metro wise, Dallas has a larger GDP and is the largest MSA in the U.S south. These two cities are probably top 5 in metro area growth in Canada/U.S plus they were both incorporated as cities within 20 years of one another so they are similar in age.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:51 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
It doesn't take a lot of digging to see that Toronto has older and denser core neighborhoods, much more vertical density as Toronto is killing it in the skyline department by every measure, a much larger critical mass of people on the ground, and it annihilates Dallas on mass transit.

Dallas has some fine urban qualities and interesting neighborhoods with a lot of improvement over the last decade; but if we're being real it's also well known to be a sprawly auto orientated city in classic sunbelt fashion.

I can see how they can compare well in other dimensions at a metro area level.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-16-2023 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 04:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
These two cities are in the top 10 in N.A for metro population - actually very close to one another in population. They are also two of the fastest growing large urban areas on the continent.

From my experience in here, Toronto is often critiqued as being bland and generic and I don't see Dallas getting rousing reviews about its streetscapes either, so perhaps these are a good vs pairing for urban streetscapes and are closer to parity with one another than to others!? So - have at it! Toronto v Dallas urban streetscapes. Which is better? Any part of the urban area of each can be used, not just the central cores.
Are...are you serious?

Next on City-Data: is Barcelona prettier than Little Rock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City