Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 07:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
"Urban streetscapes" usually means parts of the urban core, or maybe suburban downtowns. Even here: "go out across the urban area expanse" sounds the same and urban core.

I understand that.
But that is what it is called an urban area and that encompasses more than just an urban core. Plus there are nice places outside cores with nice streetscapes some urban some maybe not so. I think you are nitpicking too much. It's just an easy discussion on the two urban areas, comparing streetscapes and urbanity across whatever your want to call it - any of those parts are fair game and I'm pretty sure Dallas and all that orbits it has some gems as well as warts - same with T.O and its expanse.

I actually didn't even create a poll and in retrospect probably shouldn't have said which is 'better'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 07:19 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Dallas and it is not even close. Toronto sprawls too much and is nowhere near as dense or urban as Dallas. Wait did I get that right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No no you got it right - this is the spirit.. Give me more of the big D..
Dude... ...he was being sarcastic... There's no way in bloody heck that Dallas beats Toronto in Urban Street Scapes.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:23 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
I'm waiting on a Dallas poster to jump into this conversation. Dallaz does a good job here on C-D posting updates on the city. Last time I had actually visited the city was in 2010 and I walked around downtown and did not get good impressions from an urban perspective. I drove through the city and made a quick stop at a park on the Trinity River back in 2019 then beelined it to New Orleans from there on a x-country road trip when I moved. I saw that the skyline had expanded into uptown but didn't get any other serious observations.

One of my best friends in LA that I visited out there often just moved to Dallas a year ago for a career position. He moved to the Oak Cliff neighborhood and has good things to say about it. I'd be interested in seeing what the urban vibes are there and other nabes like Deep Ellum and Uptown are like on the ground. He always puts in plugs for me to come down and visit. But I've had some resistance because, well honestly there are other places I'd rather see, like Toronto.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:23 PM

6,704 posts, read 9,960,373 times
Never been to Toronto. But I’ve always thought that it was the NYC or Chicago of Canada, Dallas isn’t. Yes, they’re similar in size but they play completely different roles IMO. I will gladly show parts of Dallas for those that are interested…I guess we can do a comparison that way…?

Old 03-16-2023, 07:26 PM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Eh... Even outside of the urban core, Toronto's main corridors are still like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7633...7i16384!8i8192

Even in the more auto-centric areas, it is still built with pedestrians and transit in mind:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7754...7i16384!8i8192

I don't think this is a particularly close one.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:32 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Never been to Toronto. But I’ve always thought that it was the NYC or Chicago of Canada, Dallas isn’t. Yes, they’re similar in size but they play completely different roles IMO. I will gladly show parts of Dallas for those that are interested…I guess we can do a comparison that way…?
Yes dude! We've waiting on you to show up here as I was saying in a previous post.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:35 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Easily Toronto. No sunbelt city touches Toronto in urban streetscape.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'm waiting on a Dallas poster to jump into this conversation. Dallaz does a good job here on C-D posting updates on the city. Last time I had actually visited the city was in 2010 and I walked around downtown and did not get good impressions from an urban perspective. I drove through the city and made a quick stop at a park on the Trinity River back in 2019 then beelined it to New Orleans from there on a x-country road trip when I moved. I saw that the skyline had expanded into uptown but didn't get any other serious observations.

One of my best friends in LA that I visited out there often just moved to Dallas a year ago for a career position. He moved to the Oak Cliff neighborhood and has good things to say about it. I'd be interested in seeing what the urban vibes are there and other nabes like Deep Ellum and Uptown are like on the ground. He always puts in plugs for me to come down and visit. But I've had some resistance because, well honestly there are other places I'd rather see, like Toronto.
Does your friend live near Bishop Arts in Oak Cliff? That’s the really hot trendy area that’s gentrifying. It’s not very vertical but it has mid-rise development going up.

I’ve posted this video a million times, it doesn’t truly show how lively the area really is but it does show the streetscape. I was down there not too long ago and it was packed. But often neighborhoods like this have its slow periods. Little historical info: Bishop Arts was the busiest streetcar stop in Dallas in its heyday. The city built a streetcar line to this area a few years back. It’s suppose to connect to the McKinney Ave Trolley in Uptown.

Bishop Arts District tour - the tour picks back up again at 14:00.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vT23P21rO4w

Recent aerial, gives you an idea of what replacing the pre-WW2 housing. It’s not high intensity density like you’d see in downtown but it’s walkable and urban given the area as of right now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=04WEkh...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-16-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Yes dude! We've waiting on you to show up here as I was saying in a previous post.
I don’t wanna flood this page with videos. But I have them ready lmaoooo.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:55 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Dallas has it's charms and it's continuously improving, but pretty sure Toronto functions on a whole different level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City