Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 10:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonegirl55 View Post
I have the opportunity to relocate to any city with a major airport. I was planning on Chicago, but going back and forth now on whether its the right fight. Any thoughts on Chicago vs. Denver vs. Atlanta? I have been to all three and liked what I saw, but trying to narrow down the visits to keep it affordable.

Things that are important to me:

1. Safety
2. Walkability; access to bars, restaurants, fitness classes
3. As a young, single professional, the ability meet other young, single professionals is pretty important (one of the reasons for the move, since I now live in a very suburban area)
Denver is a great city for you if you want to live an outdoorsy lifestyle. You'll get plenty of that in spades within the general area around there, though it can be about a 25-40 minute drive depending on which direction you go. Denver is a modernesque city and generally wins the statistical contest amongst the three for safety, fitness, and the like. It's a very nice city if you value quality of life and a city that doesn't have much in the way of rough edges in swaths of the city or area. It's there just like rough areas are everywhere, just not nearly as much. I would recommend it to you if that is what you're after. That being said, that is all it has on Chicago and not by any leaps or bounds (Lake Michigan itself is great for outdoors activity and it is right in the heart of the city and Denver doesn't have a large wide open body of water like that).

However, Chicago is a complete city. Essentially a megacity. I was reminded on a recent trip, of which I'm still in Chicago, that Chicago offers more than what you'll even need. It's urban environments and even its suburban environments are spectacular. A true cosmopolitan city with a top shelf nightlife, shopping scene, restaurant and culinary scene, entertainment scene, and by American standards a sturdy and dependable public transit system to boot. It is also a top shelf city if you're interested in socializing, dating, or just the singles life in general. A very professional vibe in the city. Relatively speaking, Chicago is a pretty good deal price wise. I'd recommend it. For what you get and how much you end up spending for it all -- amazing choice. The nice areas of the city are very safe, you'll never have to worry about crime affecting you there.

I grew up in Chicago but moved on years ago, now live in London, even from a London perspective Chicago is a top shelf world class city (one of the only 5 world class cities in all of America IMO). The only world class city amongst these in your comparison and all around the city with the most to offer here. I really like Denver too, if I had to live in America, Denver is on my shortlist but it is not in Chicago's league at all. Not at all.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-08-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
In Downtown Chicago right now. Super vibrant for an American city not named New York. I used to know this but had forgotten about it over the years as I saw more places around the world.

Very impressive. Spectacular city, world class city.

For me, to live would be Denver and/or Chicago. To visit? Straight up Chicago.
FKR is turning into a Chicago fanboi. I like that.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
1)Chi
2)ATL
3)DEN

In that order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City