Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best suburban region
Northern Virginia 61 49.59%
Northern Dallas Suburbs 21 17.07%
Northern Atlanta Suburbs 41 33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The entire DMV is one of the most unfriendly places in the Country.

North Atlanta is the polar opposite.
How is that even valid... have any proof? Alot of people think Atlanta is still a podunk village..would that suffice as a valid of a reason as your note about millions of people being unfriendly in the DMV? Sorry I was away for work in Europe for over a month but I guess you're as biased for Atlanta as ever.

Clearly there's alot of bias for Atlanta here. Northern Dallas is not that far off from Northern Atlanta based on the ops criteria, and not sure how it compares to Old Town or even Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Buckhead is the South at its finest. I helped you out.
? What about Savannah and Charleston???

Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I think Northern Atlanta has a good balance of what all 3 offer. Nice scenery and access to other metros like NOVA, and affordability similar to Dallas. Also has closer access to the coast than Dallas which is a plus.
Atlanta isn't that much closer to the coast than Dallas. Maybe a 30 min difference?

I'm not a huge fan of the Northern Dallas burbs in general, (I prefer the inner suburbs, thats where I chose to live) but besides being prettier, I don't think there is a big gap between Dallas and Atlanta. Atlanta is prettier, but more sprawly. The Northern Dallas suburbs are more international and have better transit.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
How is that even valid... have any proof? Alot of people think Atlanta is still a podunk village..would that suffice as a valid of a reason as your note about millions of people being unfriendly in the DMV? Sorry I was away for work in Europe for over a month but I guess you're as biased for Atlanta as ever.

Clearly there's alot of bias for Atlanta here. Northern Dallas is not that far off from Northern Atlanta based on the ops criteria, and not sure how it compares to Old Town or even Arlington.
He's talking about the daily interactions with the locals in the respective cities being discussed here; such a thing is hardly quantifiable, as I'm sure you already know. The experiences, however, are real.
Having lived in suburban Fairfax County, VA, and having been a frequent visitor since I very gratefully moved from there, I can tell you that NOVA suburbs SUCK in that department. I've seen similar opinions to that effect posted all over this forum in the almost 10 years that I've been posting on here.
DC is a 'company town' full of soulless, ruthlessly ambitious, selfish, opportunistic users that have little regard for their neighbors except with regard to how they can be used to their own advantage. I'm not really a jaded person, but that city would have turned me into one had I stayed. It's rather a phenomenon that DC just seems to attract that kind of person.
Thank God for my move to Brooklyn; the earthy openness of its residents helped restore my faith in humanity.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:17 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But this is purely based on opinion.
Yes, and one I used to question until other DC denizens started bringing their unsolicited but similar opinions to me as well.
The natives were in particular were incensed by it; five of them that I know have relocated because of the decline in decency that they have experienced there.

2 relocated to Phoenix
1 relocated to Houston(apparently this is becoming a popular choice with disenfranchised Washingtonians)
1 to Charleston SC
1 to Miami (frying pan to the fire; can't say that I didn't warn them)

So far, none regret the move.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
North Dallas suburbs

Old 10-25-2017, 11:07 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Yeah, I had good friends who moved form NoVa to Dallas and had nothing but bad things to say about Northern Virginia. Both were successful business owners who sold out and moved to suburban Dallas. Not sure about Atl

Old 10-25-2017, 12:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Atlanta isn't that much closer to the coast than Dallas. Maybe a 30 min difference?

I'm not a huge fan of the Northern Dallas burbs in general, (I prefer the inner suburbs, thats where I chose to live) but besides being prettier, I don't think there is a big gap between Dallas and Atlanta. Atlanta is prettier, but more sprawly. The Northern Dallas suburbs are more international and have better transit.
Agreed. I’m not the biggest fan of the northern DFW burbs either. The inner suburbs of DFW is apart of what I like to call the “Real DFW”.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I see people say this about NoVa all time and I've always found it to be unfair.

After I graduated, I contemplated going back to DC or going to Chicago, I can tell you, people in Chicago are just as snobby, money-obsessed and self-important as people in DC. Same with NYC. Those kind of places tend to attract hard working and ambitious people, why is that a bad thing?

To be honest, I found people to more friendly in DC/NoVa than they were in Chicago. At the end of the day, living in Fairfax that's the experience you had, I'm not trying to discredit that but just like anywhere, NoVa has a myriad of different people who come to the area for different reasons and have different personalities, etc. And it would be nice for people to take time to get to know their neighbors, but this isn't that kind of place, so you also have to know what you're signing up for no matter where you move.
I can definitely agree here. Growing up in the New York suburbs, for example, it's always about what car you and your kids are driving, where your house is, how nice is the house/town you're in, etc. (at least in the upper middle class-wealthy areas, which there are many of around here and in NoVA too.) However this is also, in a weird way, a good thing because it gives people incentive to work hard and get to the top where these people supposedly are at. A weird concept but just trying to be positive here

Old 10-26-2017, 06:30 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Agreed. I’m not the biggest fan of the northern DFW burbs either. The inner suburbs of DFW is apart of what I like to call the “Real DFW”.
Richardson! is a nice place. Addison also and "Far North Dallas"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City