Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best suburban region
Northern Virginia 61 49.59%
Northern Dallas Suburbs 21 17.07%
Northern Atlanta Suburbs 41 33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times

Advertisements

Ok so let's talk about everyone's favorite thing on CD......suburban sprawl. In all seriousness though I do feel like these three regions are very well respected as good places to live and raise a family. They are all in successful metro regions with good economies to. For argument sake Northern Virginia includes Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William county. I'm not including Arlington and Alexandria because to me they are urban areas that are basically part of D.C. Northern Dallas suburbs is Collin and Denton county. Northern Atlanta suburbs is North Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Forsyth county. Dunwoody can also be included. Nothing inside the beltway (perimeter) on any. Which is the best based on these categories, also try not to base this strictly on which major city you like the best but rather which suburban region is the best on its own.
1. Schools
2. Shopping and dining
3. Housing variety
4. Affordability
5. Walkability
6. Semi-urban suburbs
7. Traffic
8. Scenery
9. Which could you see living in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
NOVA

Dallas

Atlanta

Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Northern Virginia by far except for affordability, which I’d give to Northern Atlanta Suburbs.

1. Schools - NOVA w/Northern DFW second
2. Shopping and dining - Northern DFW, NOVA Close second
3. Housing variety - NOVA
4. Affordability - Northern ATL. Northern DFW isn’t the bargain that it used to be
5. Walkability - NOVA
6. Semi-urban suburbs - NOVA
7. Traffic - Northern DFW. Most efficient freeway/tollway/arterial system by far ofnthe three
8. Scenery - Tie between NOVA and Northern ATL due to the Piedmont scenery in both. Northern DFW is ugly, featureless prairie
9. Which could you see living in? All three, but my personal preference would be NOVA, then Northern ATL, and Northern DFW last

Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Northern Atlanta Suburbs.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Ok so let's talk about everyone's favorite thing on CD......suburban sprawl. In all seriousness though I do feel like these three regions are very well respected as good places to live and raise a family. They are all in successful metro regions with good economies to. For argument sake Northern Virginia includes Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William county. I'm not including Arlington and Alexandria because to me they are urban areas that are basically part of D.C. Northern Dallas suburbs is Collin and Denton county. Northern Atlanta suburbs is North Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Forsyth county. Dunwoody can also be included. Nothing inside the beltway (perimeter) on any. Which is the best based on these categories, also try not to base this strictly on which major city you like the best but rather which suburban region is the best on its own.
1. Schools
2. Shopping and dining
3. Housing variety
4. Affordability
5. Walkability
6. Semi-urban suburbs
7. Traffic
8. Scenery
9. Which could you see living in?
1. Can't go wrong, but NOVA edges out all.
2. NOVA
3. NOVA
4. ATL/DFW
5. Can't say.
6. NOVA
7. DFW
8. ATL=NOVA
9. You couldn't go wrong in either, but North Fulton would be first then NOVA.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
NOVA on schools but nothing else. My living experience there was less than stellar.
Dallas and Atlanta are about even.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
NOVA on schools but nothing else. My living experience there was less than stellar.
Dallas and Atlanta are about even.
LD, you can't say that. I really wanted to say that I think North Fulton is superior to all, but that's my subjective opinion. I personally can't stand Cobb or Gwinnett. But if I did that, folks will come in here with 50/11 reasons why NOVA is better than "NoFu" as I like to call it. I'd rather not be the one to derail this train.

I'm really curious to know other's opinions on this topic. It's a good comparison.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 AM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I pick NOVA.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Northern Virginia but I'm bias.

I will say, Atlanta's suburbs are quite impressive.

Atlanta and the south in general isn't really my scene but if I was ever interested in moving down there, I'd definitely look into the Atlanta suburbs. My only complaint would be the lack of walk-ability in the some of the suburbs. NoVa has been working hard to right that wrong of being so car-dependent and it's starting to pay off.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:23 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
LD, you can't say that. I really wanted to say that I think North Fulton is superior to all, but that's my subjective opinion. I personally can't stand Cobb or Gwinnett. But if I did that, folks will come in here with 50/11 reasons why NOVA is better than "NoFu" as I like to call it. I'd rather not be the one to derail this train.

I'm really curious to know other's opinions on this topic. It's a good comparison.
Why can't I? That was the sum total of my experience in NOVA, and if they want to challenge me on it, I'll be happy to elucidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City