Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs. Indianapolis
Sacramento 60 55.05%
Indianapolis 49 44.95%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

It's hard to beat Sacramento's proximity to natural wonders but Indianapolis is not totally devoid of nearby nature. Brown County Indiana, about 45 miles south of Indy is densely forested, rolling hills and has to have some of the most glorious fall colors in the country.
https://www.google.com/search?q=brow...ih=560#imgrc=_

And not much further south is the beauty of the Ohio River valley and the Appalachian foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sactown is much, much to closer to diverse geographic destinations and climates, than Indy. These diverse Sacramento destinations are easily done as Day Trips.

In addition, Sacramento is at least 1 to 2 hours closer to the destinations you speak of for Indy.

Yes, Sacramento has Ocean Sand Dunes(Dillon's Beach) just under 2 hours away.

Indy doesn't have Alpine mountains anywhere near it. Nor Spectacular Ocean coastline.

Sacramento to San Francisco - 1 hr, 25 minute drive.

Indy to Chicago - 3hrs, 5 minute drive
If it takes you 3 hours to drive to Chicago from Indy, you're doing it wrong.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
It's hard to beat Sacramento's proximity to natural wonders but Indianapolis is not totally devoid of nearby nature. Brown County Indiana, about 45 miles south of Indy is densely forested, rolling hills and has to have some of the most glorious fall colors in the country.

And not much further south is the beauty of the Ohio River valley and the Appalachian foothills.
I like the way you put that, Natural Wonders :-)

Yes that's cool about Indy, but still yet Sacramento is CLOSER to the SAME, BETTER and MORE DIVERSE Natural Wonders.

Sacramento's nearby forested rolling hills and actual mountains is the Sierra Foothills still bigger than the Appalachian foothills.

Sacramento's nearby very high country with even bigger mountains is the Sierra Nevada from Tahoe to Yosemite.

And again there is Sacramento's nearby Delta, Ocean Beaches, Bays, and Coastline.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If it takes you 3 hours to drive to Chicago from Indy, you're doing it wrong.
Yes, we all have our shortcuts and faster driving times, for example I've driven from Downtown Sacramento to Downtown San Francisco in 58 minutes.

But to keep things on the same playing field, I google mapped both Sac/SF and Indy/Chicago.

Sacramento to San Francisco - 1 hr, 25 minute drive.

Indy to Chicago - 3hrs, 5 minute drive

Sacramento is more than twice as close to San Francisco as Indy is to Chicago.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:44 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I like the way you put that, Natural Wonders :-)

Yes that's cool about Indy, but still yet Sacramento is CLOSER to the SAME, BETTER and MORE DIVERSE Natural Wonders.

Sacramento's nearby forested rolling hills and actual mountains is the Sierra Foothills still bigger than the Appalachian foothills.

Sacramento's nearby very high country with even bigger mountains is the Sierra Nevada from Tahoe to Yosemite.

And again there is Sacramento's nearby Delta, Ocean Beaches, Bays, and Coastline.
"SAME, BETTER, and MORE DIVERSE" are subjective, those are called opinions. We all have opinions, and that is ok. I have seen mountains, and honestly, they don't really do anything for me. Some people like mountains, and that is ok. There is nothing wrong with that. I have also seen oceans, and some people like oceans, and there is nothing wrong with that. I prefer the Great Lakes. I prefer the dunes on the lakes. There is nothing in Cali that trumps that FOR ME and IN MY OPINION. It is cool that you either have never seen the dunes I am referring to; or have and can say with certainty after visiting you do not prefer them.

I have been to the desert. I have been to the mountains. I did not leave thinking I just had to get back. Some people feel differently, and that is ok. There is nothing wrong with that. It does not make one empirically better. I prefer that natural areas I have access to Indianapolis over what is available out in California. I would miss it if I moved away, and nothing that happens in this thread will change that. Please don't take it as a slight against Sacto, just know that different people prefer different things and that is ok.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Just to let you know, Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the US.
It isn't my cup of tea. I'm an east of the Mississippi kinda guy.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:

Wow, that's really scenic and beautiful. I will say there definitely is an underrated beauty to the lushness of the deciduous forests of the eastern third of the country. Something you can't find in CA, let alone Sacramento. The immediate city/metro area of Indy might actually be more scenic and better looking than Sac for this reason. Sac is pretty dry and somewhat barren in many parts.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Wow, that's really scenic and beautiful. I will say there definitely is an underrated beauty to the lushness of the deciduous forests of the eastern third of the country. Something you can't find in CA, let alone Sacramento. The immediate city/metro area of Indy might actually be more scenic and better looking than Sac for this reason. Sac is pretty dry and somewhat barren in many parts.
The entire Midwest is insanely underrated in this regard. People used to topographical impressiveness don't seem to understand how beautiful a Midwest field, loaded with hundreds, or even thousands of plants is it's equal. It's a matter of adjusting your lenses on the beauty cam. The Midwest has the greatest soils, plant biodiversity, greatest lakes, mightiest rivers, and wackiest most intense weather/seasons in the nation. It all combines to be quite stunning, if you know where and what to look for.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
The entire Midwest is insanely underrated in this regard. People used to topographical impressiveness don't seem to understand how beautiful a Midwest field, loaded with hundreds, or even thousands of plants is it's equal. It's a matter of adjusting your lenses on the beauty cam. The Midwest has the greatest soils, plant biodiversity, greatest lakes, mightiest rivers, and wackiest most intense weather/seasons in the nation. It all combines to be quite stunning, if you know where and what to look for.
I get that and always have. I also get the benefits of flat terrain. My California coastal neighbors don't get that. You don't need hills, mountains nor an ocean, but Sacramento does have them very nearby and its something Indy does not have.

I think Indy weather sucks badly, the only aspect I would like is a little bit more rain in the summer in fall. For my tastes Sacramento gets just enough rain per year for it to be tolerable. Any less rain as in SoCal, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah I wouldn't like.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
There's more sac supporters who are writing on the message board even though the poll is essentially tied. I want to hear from more indy people: Why do you guys think Indy is better? And the people who are arguing for sacramento, have you guys lived in Indy or spent SIGNIFICANT time there recently? (not just a week but months) Those are the opinions I'm looking for.

I'm frequent on both message boards because there's a possibility that I may be moving to Indy in the next 3 years or so. (it's down to Indy, vegas, or phoenix) I currently live in Sacramento and I like it here but it may be time to move on in life. So for those to has spent SIGNIFICANT time in both cities, let me know if I could send you a personal message and pick your brain about your experiences in both cities. (and if I have to deal with racial issues since I am a black man)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City