Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times

Advertisements

Oakland.

Awful football team.
Minor League Baseball team pretending to be major league.
Basketball team that sucked until the current decade (they are actually an SF team now, just waiting for the arena).

But Oakland has some of the worst teams, ownership groups, and fans in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 02:20 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Among cities with at least three major professional sports teams (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS), Minneapolis (Minnesota) and Atlanta seem to be the worst off. Only their MLB teams have championships. Their NFL teams are known for choking in big games, and their NBA teams have never even advanced to the NBA Finals. They've also lost three NHL teams between them. Their MLS franchises are both brand-new.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Cleveland comes to mind first. Atlanta, Tampa/St. Pete, and Minneapolis/St.Paul also come to mind.
I don't think any of those three are close to mediocre. Atlanta has both the NFL Falcons and NBA Hawks, both of which are routinely playoff-caliber teams. Tampa-St Pete has the NHL Lightning and MLB Rays, both are consistently competitive and this year the Lightning have the best record in the league and made the Stanley Cup finals just two years ago. Minneapolis is arguably the closest to "mediocre", however the recent rise of the NFL Vikings and consistency of the NHL Wild should change that.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM

417 posts, read 444,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't think any of those three are close to mediocre. Atlanta has both the NFL Falcons and NBA Hawks, both of which are routinely playoff-caliber teams. Tampa-St Pete has the NHL Lightning and MLB Rays, both are consistently competitive and this year the Lightning have the best record in the league and made the Stanley Cup finals just two years ago. Minneapolis is arguably the closest to "mediocre", however the recent rise of the NFL Vikings and consistency of the NHL Wild should change that.

I guess I was thinking more along the line of championships won.
Minneapolis:
Vikings-0
Twins-2 (while in Minnesota)
Timberwolves-0
Wild-0

Atlanta:
Falcons-0
Braves-1 (while in Atlanta)
Hawks-0

Tampa/St. Pete:
Buccaneers-1
Rays-0
Lightning-1

Old 02-05-2018, 06:08 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
Detroit has to be an option. The Lions last championship was in 1957, and are one of only two original teams(Cleveland), to not even reach the Super Bowl. The Tigers last World Series title was 1984, my senior year in high school. Even the Wings, and Pistons barely compete these days. Being a loyal Jack Wagon, I'm stuck with all of them.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Texas/Dallas currently would fit this IMO

Cowboys-Average
Mavs-Terrible
Rangers-Average
Stars- Pretty okay, best current team in Dallas I’d say
Wow, you guys really don't care about FC Dallas for real. Haha! They suck too though.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wow, you guys really don't care about FC Dallas for real. Haha! They suck too though.

I’m not a soccer fan, I forget it even exists.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Cleveland comes to mind first. Atlanta, Tampa/St. Pete, and Minneapolis/St.Paul also come to mind.
Yes, and why shouldn't it? The Browns are the worst NFL team ever and a total embarrassment to Cleveland. The only thing more pathetic than these clowns are all the nut cases who squander time, money and health to see them. While for one glorious season, the Cavaliers lifted Cleveland onto the mountain top, every single year the Browns bury the city in the mud.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
My two votes go to CHI and PHX. Now before you scoff, you have to look at where I'm coming from.

CHI Bears: 2nd oldest NFL team, only one Super Bowl victory. That's atrocious.

CHI Blackhawks: Original 6 NHL team, only 6 Cups. Yes, their recent success has been great, but for a team that's been around since 1926, its weak. Very weak. Look at the Canadiens' Cup list for comparison.

CHI White Sox: another ancient team with only 2 WS victories. That's horrible!

CHI Cubs: I don't need to say anything other than 108 year drought!

CHI Fire: started off in the MLS with decent success, then have floundered ever since.

CHI Bulls: The only saving grace for CHI sports teams.

PHX Suns: relative success back in the day, no championships to claim.

AZ Coyotes: a few years with postseason appearances, but still the bottom of the bottom NHL team.

AZ Diamondbacks: PHX's only championship-winning team with one WS victory.

AZ Cardinals: technically the losingest team out there. They've been around since the early 1900's in CHI, eventually ending up in AZ. No Super Bowl victories.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My two votes go to CHI and PHX. Now before you scoff, you have to look at where I'm coming from.

CHI Bears: 2nd oldest NFL team, only one Super Bowl victory. That's atrocious.

CHI Blackhawks: Original 6 NHL team, only 6 Cups. Yes, their recent success has been great, but for a team that's been around since 1926, its weak. Very weak. Look at the Canadiens' Cup list for comparison.

CHI White Sox: another ancient team with only 2 WS victories. That's horrible!

CHI Cubs: I don't need to say anything other than 108 year drought!

CHI Fire: started off in the MLS with decent success, then have floundered ever since.

CHI Bulls: The only saving grace for CHI sports teams.

PHX Suns: relative success back in the day, no championships to claim.

AZ Coyotes: a few years with postseason appearances, but still the bottom of the bottom NHL team.

AZ Diamondbacks: PHX's only championship-winning team with one WS victory.

AZ Cardinals: technically the losingest team out there. They've been around since the early 1900's in CHI, eventually ending up in AZ. No Super Bowl victories.

Agreed about the Chicago teams. Fans are very loyal, but the teams just aren't that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City