Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 73 35.10%
California 135 64.90%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 PM

603 posts, read 931,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sorry but only a true Texas homer can find Houston beautiful.
I live in Texas but I am most definitely not one of the "Texas is the greatest thing ever!" type people. No, there are no mountains/hills or sandy white beaches, but I find parts of Houston beautiful. The residential area of River Oaks is filled with beautiful homes and immaculate landscaping, huge trees towering over the roads. The area around Rice University also has parts with the huge trees. You can see the streets on the each of the campus with the link below. There are some very nice parks around town, with my favorite being Hermann Park. Is this the most beautiful city I've seen. Most certainly not, but it's also much better than many think who haven't spent much time there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7195...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I live in Texas but I am most definitely not one of the "Texas is the greatest thing ever!" type people. No, there are no mountains/hills or sandy white beaches, but I find parts of Houston beautiful. The residential area of River Oaks is filled with beautiful homes and immaculate landscaping, huge trees towering over the roads. The area around Rice University also has parts with the huge trees. You can see the streets on the each of the campus with the link below. There are some very nice parks around town, with my favorite being Hermann Park. Is this the most beautiful city I've seen. Most certainly not, but it's also much better than many think who haven't spent much time there.

Yeah here is another link.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7280...7i13312!8i6656

While I prefer neighborhoods with sidewalks, it is hard to justify tearing up that area to put one in to appease anyone. Love the trees.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0J9OMWCyHM

Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Thats it. If he hates Texas thats fine but hate it for real reasons. He was right about the ego, but completely wrong about Texas just being a glorified Alabama. How could anyone with a straight face say that Alabama offers to its residents near what Texas does?
I feel like Alabama is that innocent bystander during a fight that catches a bunch of licks unknowingly here.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And Sunset Blvd @ Southampton:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7230...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
While I prefer neighborhoods with sidewalks, it is hard to justify tearing up that area to put one in to appease anyone. Love the trees.
There looks to be enough room @North Blvd to install sidewalks while still preserving the trees. Just that some lawn space will have to be sacrificed.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Given the presidential results its pretty fair to say that Ohio is more of a Trump type of Republican state vs. a traditional Republican state which Texas is. Ohio is one Trump loving state and nothing you can say will change that.

Dont throw stones in glass houses....
This makes no sense. Trump won Texas by an even greater margin than he did Ohio. What was the margin of Obama's victory in Texas? Oh right. And I don't even know what "traditional Republican" even means anymore. They don't seem to exist. It's just different shades of extreme, regardless of the state. As for Ohio, I've already said I also have problems with the politics, but it's just much more of a purple state. In any case, my statement was made on the comparison of Texas vs. California, not Texas vs Ohio.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:03 PM

245 posts, read 236,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sorry but only a true Texas homer can find Houston beautiful.
I guess you don't like towering 100 foot loblolly pines everywhere then.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
California climate is hard to beat. Many spots mid80s summer highs, no humidity, no snow, green in winter from rain, and plenty of palm trees. Texas gets ripped off here. Broiling in summer, but just a few too many cold nights in winter to support palm trees or citrus in so much of the state. Austin's palms are a sad sight.

California has much more interesting scenery. And rural grape growing regions with an agricultural flair, but still reasonable levels of sophistication. Texas outside the major metros lacks charm outside of a few areas. Hill country is ok, but what count for sweeping views on the West Side of Austin would be fairly mundane in California.

Texas is better run, and offers better COL, but also lacks high paying jobs and outside of Austin, doesn't have the creative industries California does. And Austin can really feel like an island.

One thing lately bothering me about Texas is they're putting a new ballpark in the middle of the suburbs with a roof. Nothing like Petco Park, AT&T Park, or even Dodger Stadium anywhere in Texas. Would have loved to seen the Rangers build a downtown stadium in Dallas, but the climate there is rough for open baseball stadiums. Won't happen, but Austin just south of the river would be a great spot for a stadium with a view of the new skyline.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I agree that Texas is way more diverse than Alabama and only East Texas has a true "Deep South" feel. However, the state politics in TX are like a watered down, slightly more moderate version of Alabama's. Both states are the poster children of Bible Belt politics. In fact, the GOP in TX is becoming more and more like Alabama's each election cycle.
As places like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte grow their Latino populations, actually seems Texas is becoming more like the suburban Southeast. N/NE suburbs of Atlanta like Roswell and Lawrenceville are about 15-20% Hispanic, similar to Richardson or Plano near Dallas, or Williamson County north of Austin. Very similar in a lot of ways now.

Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, are more traditional white/black.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:27 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
California climate is hard to beat. Many spots mid80s summer highs, no humidity, no snow, green in winter from rain, and plenty of palm trees. Texas gets ripped off here. Broiling in summer, but just a few too many cold nights in winter to support palm trees or citrus in so much of the state. Austin's palms are a sad sight.
The cold is definitely a rip off, especially considering the latitude. It's the case for the entire US east of the Rocky Mountains.

BUT, there are plentiful saving graces. While Texas can get anomalous cold deviations, but there also plenty of winter days that feature temps much warmer than can be seen in California, especially at night: I've seen many winter days where the night-time low stays near 70F. Texas, on average, is also drier than California during winter. So this ample winter heat, as well as lesser sogginess, aid in granting great growth to the palms that can survive the cold spells (i.e. washingtonia, dates, sabals, etc).

Texas also is wetter than California during summer, ensuring optimal growth for many moisture-loving palm species (i.e. sabal, livistonia, etc).

In any rate, there are three main areas of Texas most ideal for palms: the Gulf Coast, inland areas of South Texas (south of San Antonio), and lower elevations of the Pecos deserts.

Quote:
One thing lately bothering me about Texas is they're putting a new ballpark in the middle of the suburbs with a roof. Nothing like Petco Park, AT&T Park, or even Dodger Stadium anywhere in Texas. Would have loved to seen the Rangers build a downtown stadium in Dallas, but the climate there is rough for open baseball stadiums. Won't happen, but Austin just south of the river would be a great spot for a stadium with a view of the new skyline.
Minute Maid Park in Houston, built in an urban setting at the eastern end of Downtown. The stadium has a retractable roof, but the climate is fine for enough of the year that it doesn't need to be closed: people just are too domesticated.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-29-2018 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City