Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
New York City and Washington, D.C. 122 64.55%
Los Angeles and San Francisco 54 28.57%
Too close to call 13 6.88%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Yes, and international is what we're talking about. San Francisco gets more international visitors than DC. And by a comfortable margin.
SF has always had higher international tourism numbers, that's nothing new. Your point about DC being "dreary" all of a sudden however because of a one year dip international tourism (which is shared nationwide) was what threw me off. Especially when in that same year DC broke another consecutive record for domestic tourism, and regional airport traffic is at an all time high.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.5b713e47f1e8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
I'm bias since I live in L.A. and grew up on the East Coast but IMHO:

Los Angeles & San Francisco: L.A. for being the center of the entertainment industry, Silicon Beach, HQ for many Military and Defense companies, Aviation industry, some O&G as well. San Francisco for being America's tech hub and start up city.

NYC for HQ for Banking, Finance, and Wall Street, largest city in America. DC for being the central HQ for Government (aka: "The Swamp."

I personally like the S.F. & L.A. combination better.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM

142 posts, read 223,006 times
Quote:
Most Americans get their news via NY.
About four-in-ten Americans often get news online | Pew Research Center

TV - Most of giant media production media companies are controlled by NY.
Online - the most visited websites are NY-Based, as my previous link said.
Radio - Most of the top listened to news radio/satellite radio shows are based in NY
Print - NY is the capital of print media.

Overall winner is New York, and by a rather large margin.

No one said ALL media is based in NY, just like ALL tech is not based in Silicon Valley, and ALL energy is not based in Houston, and ALL film is not based in LA, but NYC overwhelmingly controls it just like those cities overwhelmingly control their signature industries. ALL finance is not in Manhattan but NYC is overwhelmingly controls American finance. BTW, Slate is based in NYC, BBC and Guardian are British companies (but their U.S. newsroom is based in New York), no one reads Mercury News, LA Times is dead, Chicago Tribune is unpopular and neither of them are based in Silicon Valley (unless you're trying to make an argument that Chicago and LA are the media capitals, which makes this conversation confusing). etc. etc. I provided you with a list of the most visited news websites and they're nearly all NY-Based.

Most popular "News" on Twitter, again, is simply linked to hard-hitting sources from the NY (and DC) based media. Put it this way - Twitter could die and there would be news. NYT, CNN, WSJ, MSNBC, WaPo, NBC, ABC, CNBC, CBS and Fox "News" could die and Americans would be in total news blackout. Google is wonderful, and we are the tech capital of America, but there is no such thing as Google and Twitter News. Aggregator is not media. What's next, Silicon Valley is also the fashion capital of America because people use aggregator shopping websites and online shopping web coding?

The state of those newspapers I mentioned is irrelevant, but that also proves the point. When you go to Google News, what you get under national headlines isn’t the most popular newspaper in the country. It’s whatever news sources gets picked up by their algorithm most pertinent for the headline topic. Then you choose whatever headline you want to read. In other words a “dying” paper like Mercury News or LA Times gets cycled through as frequently as more popular newspapers. NYC may have the biggest share of content, but you’re still more likely to click some random article from anywhere in the world (like BBC/Guardian/ Al Jazeera) than you will specifically from NYC, because Google (as well as Facebook/Reddit) democratizes the readers experience. That’s just not the same thing as your analogy with fashion other than Amazon’s ability to erode the power of brick n mortar stores, but that’s Seattle. Social media doesn't aggregate shopping websites. Google does but it’s unpopular.

That graph you posted is from 2016 with television 19 pts ahead on online sources. In 2017, the gap closed to just 7 points. And in the years ahead, that trend is going to continue. The generational breakdown in the link is even more telling of my original point, which is that Silicon Valley is dramatically eroding NYC’s dominance on media. BTW, i never said Silicon Valley effects makes it a media capital, but that they’ve democratized readership which inevitably weakens NYC’s position in media, and it will further weaken based on reading habits of millenials.
Internet closes in on TV as a source of news in U.S. | Pew Research Center

As for radio, the most popular news stations in each region is highly localized, even if you make the stretch that it’s controlled by a parent company, NYC still doesn’t dominate in parenting the those stations. And in syndicated radio programs, it’s conservative radio dominated by southern states, or NPR in DC.
https://www.cision.com/us/2012/12/to...ns-in-the-u-s/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...radio_programs

Last edited by savvysearch; 03-06-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Most Americans get their news via NY.
About four-in-ten Americans often get news online | Pew Research Center

TV - Most of giant media production media companies are controlled by NY.
Online - the most visited websites are NY-Based, as my previous link said.
Radio - Most of the top listened to news radio/satellite radio shows are based in NY
Print - NY is the capital of print media.

Overall winner is New York, and by a rather large margin.

No one said ALL media is based in NY, just like ALL tech is not based in Silicon Valley, and ALL energy is not based in Houston, and ALL film is not based in LA, but NYC overwhelmingly controls it just like those cities overwhelmingly control their signature industries. ALL finance is not in Manhattan but NYC is overwhelmingly controls American finance. BTW, Slate is based in NYC, BBC and Guardian are British companies (but their U.S. newsroom is based in New York), no one reads Mercury News, LA Times is dead, Chicago Tribune is unpopular and neither of them are based in Silicon Valley (unless you're trying to make an argument that Chicago and LA are the media capitals, which makes this conversation confusing). etc. etc. I provided you with a list of the most visited news websites and they're nearly all NY-Based.

Most popular "News" on Twitter, again, is simply linked to hard-hitting sources from the NY (and DC) based media. Put it this way - Twitter could die and there would be news. NYT, CNN, WSJ, MSNBC, WaPo, NBC, ABC, CNBC, CBS and Fox "News" could die and Americans would be in total news blackout. Google is wonderful, and we are the tech capital of America, but there is no such thing as Google and Twitter News. Aggregator is not media. What's next, Silicon Valley is also the fashion capital of America because people use aggregator shopping websites and online shopping web coding?
Pretty much NY and DC make all the news worth media and actions that deserve to be talked about the most on a day to day basis. California creates the ways to get it to the masses via social media/internet and/or Hollywood. Yet then the content still has to come back East for final approval before being allowed to reach the American public i.e. The FCC etc.

NYC-DC wins.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, I personally draw a direct correlation between Donald Trump and NY and DC both declining in this ranking:

Paris continues its reign as highest-rated city | GfK Global

NY fell from 3rd to 4th, DC fell from 9th to 11th.

Meanwhile LA held steady at 5th and SF in it's first year being included in the study catapulted all the way to 9th.

LA and SF are far less affected by negative views people have of the US, and in my travels this past year, I have found that people around the world know CA is openly defiant of Trump/ Fed( sanctuary cities, recreational marijuana, etc)
Very interesting take on the global impact on the US, regarding Trumps presidency. I found the same thing in my travels abroad. California is seen in a different light than the rest of the country.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Pretty much NY and DC make all the news worth media and actions that deserve to be talked about the most on a day to day basis. California creates the ways to get it to the masses via social media/internet and/or Hollywood. Yet then the content still has to come back East for final approval before being allowed to reach the American public i.e. The FCC etc.

NYC-DC wins.
I disagree, the national news branches of ABC, NBC and CBS may be headquarted in NYC, but everything else people watch on their TV's comes out of LA. Including much of ABC, NBC, and CBS's programming. All programming by Disney Studios, Warner Brothers, Sony Studios, Fox Studios, NBC Universal, Paramount, etc. is based in LA. So too is most of the music industry.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 AM

40 posts, read 46,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
Silicon Valley is dramatically eroding NYC’s dominance on media. BTW, i never said Silicon Valley effects makes it a media capital, but that they’ve democratized readership which inevitably weakens NYC’s position in media, and it will further weaken based on reading habits of millenials.
I'm glad you've finally admitted that New York dominates media.

New York = Media Capital.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you've finally admitted that New York dominates media.

New York = Media Capital.
You’re self-congratulating yourself on a straw mans argument. i said SV will continue to erode and weaken NYC legacy industries i.e media for which you’re still shutting your eyes and plugging your ears to that obvious reality.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 PM

40 posts, read 46,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
You’re self-congratulating yourself on a straw mans argument. i said SV will continue to erode and weaken NYC legacy industries i.e media for which you’re still shutting your eyes and plugging your ears to that obvious reality.
You said it, not me. Silicon Valley can keep picking but it's not going to ever snatch media capital from the city with the highest media employment in the world, the city that is home to most of the biggest media conglomerates, has the highest media consumption, home to the four major broadcasting networks, capital of publishing, is home to two of the three daily national newspapers (NYT, WSJ), a place with seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks, a city with three of the "Big Four" record labels and the news capital of America.

NY is trying to erode the tech industry but NY will never be the tech capital. SV is trying to erode the media industry but it will never be the tech capital. Let's drop the fantasy and get on with it.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
You said it, not me. Silicon Valley can keep picking but it's not going to ever snatch media capital from the city with the highest media employment in the world, the city that is home to most of the biggest media conglomerates, has the highest media consumption, home to the four major broadcasting networks, capital of publishing, is home to two of the three daily national newspapers (NYT, WSJ), a place with seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks, a city with three of the "Big Four" record labels and the news capital of America.

NY is trying to erode the tech industry but NY will never be the tech capital. SV is trying to erode the media industry but it will never be the tech capital. Let's drop the fantasy and get on with it.
Again, making fake arguments for yourself. NYC's large media isn’t the contention, even as you try to pull a straw man on that point to misdirect that argument. The contention is that NYC's share is no longer enough to be wield influence or power that it once did before SF-based tech companies became the gate-keeper to access. Silicon Valley isn’t effective by way of snatching media capital. That’s another imaginary argument for yourself that no one made. It’s power comes from destroying and diluting NY’s influence by democratizing access to endless amounts of media markets. It’s dominant share (see, he said dominance! therefore NY rules media capital!) in comparison to other cities no longer means anything when NYC-produced content is now a drop in the massive bucket where even smaller papers get cycled through to readers.

Also, all NYC daily papers are losing readership (as is the publishing world). Maybe you forgot to mention. One more thing, music labels are entertainment, ad agencies are commerce. not the media you know we’re talking about. It makes your case even less effective when you add filler.

Last edited by savvysearch; 03-08-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City