Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Pittsburgh: Which is a better city?
Pittsburgh 75 70.75%
San Jose 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:54 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
1. Population: Not sure what your criteria is for this, San Jose proper has way more people than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh's metro is slightly larger if you only focus on south bay.
2. Economy: San Jose
3. Diversity: San Jose
4. Shopping: Pittsburgh
5. Weather: San Jose By a country mile
6. Transportation: By Car San Jose, Public Pittsburgh
7. Downtown: Pittsburgh By a lot
8. Scenery: Tough call both are nice in their own way. I think I prefer the lush green rolling hills of Pittsburgh to the browner more rugged hills surrounding San Jose.

Summary: Pittsburgh will probably win this by a lot, but based on this criteria I think it's close and probably should be in San Jose's favor by a hair. I would probably rather live in San Jose, the weather is a HUGE factor, I also would like to live in the Cali Bay area. Also the grit in Pitt can be a bit much, some of it is historic some of it looks run down.

Pittsburgh has much better neighborhoods to get great food like Italian and who can forget Polish pierogi. Universities and medical care is also outstanding in Pittsburgh. The winter snowy Pittsburgh hills can be a challenge but weather isn't everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Pittsburgh has much better neighborhoods to get great food like Italian and who can forget Polish pierogi. Universities and medical care is also outstanding in Pittsburgh. The winter snowy Pittsburgh hills can be a challenge but weather isn't everything.
Certainly not everything, but it is probably more important to me than the average CD poster. Pitt is undeniably superior in the food category and historic neighborhoods. That wasn't really on OP's criteria though so I didn't mention it.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Wow, San Jose is even losing to Pittsburgh!? San Jose is that bad of a place? Battle lost for SJ in city data: San Diego, Philly, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Boston and etc. It's the worst city in the U.S. in city data?!!!! Forbes puts SJ 6th coolest city, U.S News has put SJ 3rd best to live last year. Reasonance put SJ 26th best in the world, and JJ Momentum put San Jose 2nd or 3rd most dynamic in the world in the last few years. What's wrong with this paradoxal picture? SJ worst on city data and one of the best in many, many other surveys. It's a complete disconnect!!
San Jose also loss to Topeka and Butcher Hollow as well

Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM

716 posts, read 765,333 times
Quote:
Certainly not everything, but it is probably more important to me than the average CD poster. Pitt is undeniably superior in the food category and historic neighborhoods. That wasn't really on OP's criteria though so I didn't mention it.
Weather is important to me and Pittsburgh's weather is right up my alley. Everybody has different definitions of what "nice"" weather is and honestly Pittsburgh's weather is one of the main reasons I live here. I enjoy living in all four seasons and I like variety.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
San Jose vs San Antonio could be a close poll, I'd imagine it would still lose to other Texas cities though. San Jose simply isn't going to win against an older legacy city on CD.
San Jose lost to newer cities: San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, and Sacramento. It lost to every city there its, new or legacy in city data. In real world, it's pretty much the winner!!! Just pay attention to news and polls.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 PM

822 posts, read 856,859 times
here we go again.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:21 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Weather is important to me and Pittsburgh's weather is right up my alley. Everybody has different definitions of what "nice"" weather is and honestly Pittsburgh's weather is one of the main reasons I live here. I enjoy living in all four seasons and I like variety.
To each their own I guess. For me Pittsburgh just doesn't have enough 65-85 sunny balmy low humidity days. Way too cloudy, and temperature extremes.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM

422 posts, read 396,339 times
OP the San Jo vs threads get pretty redundant as you constantly look to show your homerism for San Jose. Based on that alone I feel many people voted against your beloved city.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
San Jose also loss to Topeka and Butcher Hollow as well
Must be nice sitting atop mansion in Bel Aire: where Farrah Fawcett used to live and shoot down SJ like a falling star.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Sure about that? Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Koreans, Cubans, Germans, Colombians, Central Americans, French, Polish and etc. are enjoyed and found in SJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City