Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Pittsburgh: Which is a better city?
Pittsburgh 75 70.75%
San Jose 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times

Advertisements

San Jose vs Pittsburgh

Criteria:

1. Population
2. Economy
3. Diversity
4. Shopping
5. Weather
6. Transportation
7. Downtown
8. Scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 12:54 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
1. Population: Not sure what your criteria is for this, San Jose proper has way more people than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh's metro is slightly larger if you only focus on south bay.
2. Economy: San Jose
3. Diversity: San Jose
4. Shopping: Pittsburgh
5. Weather: San Jose By a country mile
6. Transportation: By Car San Jose, Public Pittsburgh
7. Downtown: Pittsburgh By a lot
8. Scenery: Tough call both are nice in their own way. I think I prefer the lush green rolling hills of Pittsburgh to the browner more rugged hills surrounding San Jose.

Summary: Pittsburgh will probably win this by a lot, but based on this criteria I think it's close and probably should be in San Jose's favor by a hair. I would probably rather live in San Jose, the weather is a HUGE factor, I also would like to live in the Cali Bay area. Also the grit in Pitt can be a bit much, some of it is historic some of it looks run down.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
1. Population: Not sure what your criteria is for this, San Jose proper has way more people than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh's metro is slightly larger if you only focus on south bay.
2. Economy: San Jose
3. Diversity: San Jose
4. Shopping: Pittsburgh
5. Weather: San Jose By a country mile
6. Transportation: By Car San Jose, Public Pittsburgh
7. Downtown: Pittsburgh By a lot
8. Scenery: Tough call both are nice in their own way. I think I prefer the lush green rolling hills of Pittsburgh to the browner more rugged hills surrounding San Jose.

Summary: Pittsburgh will probably win this by a lot, but based on this criteria I think it's close and probably should be in San Jose's favor by a hair. I would probably rather live in San Jose, the weather is a HUGE factor, I also would like to live in the Cali Bay area. Also the grit in Pitt can be a bit much, some of it is historic some of it looks run down.
San Jose has Valley Fair/Santana Row and Stanford. Downtown SJ is also awesome and vibrant. San Jose: 1,0046,000 and Pittsburgh: 303,000

Last edited by the topper; 04-15-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I prefer San Jose cuz i prefer the climate there.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Wow, San Jose is even losing to Pittsburgh!? San Jose is that bad of a place? Battle lost for SJ in city data: San Diego, Philly, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Boston and etc. It's the worst city in the U.S. in city data?!!!! Forbes puts SJ 6th coolest city, U.S News has put SJ 3rd best to live last year. Reasonance put SJ 26th best in the world, and JJ Momentum put San Jose 2nd or 3rd most dynamic in the world in the last few years. What's wrong with this paradoxal picture? SJ worst on city data and one of the best in many, many other surveys. It's a complete disconnect!!

Old 04-15-2018, 01:10 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
What's with all these tryhard posts for San Jose?

Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Wow, San Jose is even losing to Pittsburgh!? San Jose is that bad of a place? Battle lost for SJ in city data: San Diego, Philly, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Boston and etc. It's the worst city in the U.S. in city data?!!!! Forbes puts SJ 6th coolest city, U.S News has put SJ 3rd best to live last year. Reasonance put SJ 26th best in the world, and JJ Momentum put San Jose 2nd or 3rd most dynamic in the world in the last few years. What's wrong with this paradoxal picture? SJ worst on city data and one of the best in many, many other surveys. It's a complete disconnect!!
No it isn't. It's just seen as a newer "meh" sunbelt city by a lot of people on here. So it has a lot going against it based on CD criteria. Pittsburgh has been a CD sweetheart for as long as I can remember. It usually over performs in polls IMO. Like I said I would pick SJ, but I can understand why a lot of people would pick Pitt. Overall don't expect the opinion on CD to represent that of the masses.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It's one thing to boast for a favorite city and to unfairly pit these LEGACY cites against SJ still seen as Suburban by far.

Again, stop these long established Legacy city vs your SJ threads. Start vs other more suburb-type fast growing sunbelt cities instead. try a Texas city for a change..... and most of Cali can boast of weather aspects to even bother with that for full winter cities bragging. But most will judge by far more then weather as a city with a long established Character will have.

You might get some postings not thinking .... he's kidding right.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Secondary cities and suburban extensions will never do well vs. entire metros with central cities. It's no different from running Oakland, Orange County, Riverside, Tacoma, Dayton, Fort Lauderdale, Wilmington, or a lot of others.

Of course the messenger is hurting his cause as well with weird and often-conflicting statements.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It's one thing to boast for a favorite city and to unfairly pit these LEGACY cites against SJ still seen as Suburban by far.

Again, stop these long established Legacy city vs your SJ threads. Start vs other more suburb-type fast growing sunbelt cities instead. try a Texas city for a change..... and most of Cali can boast of weather aspects to even bother with that for full winter cities bragging. But most will judge by far more then weather as a city with a long established Character will have.

You might get some postings not thinking .... he's kidding right.
San Jose vs San Antonio could be a close poll, I'd imagine it would still lose to other Texas cities though. San Jose simply isn't going to win against an older legacy city on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City