Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like better?
Seattle, WA 67 68.37%
Raleigh, NC 31 31.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Raleigh has more black/white diversity but less overseas diversity.
That is changing very fast within the city limits and Western suburbs of Wake County. Many international transplants and especially South Asians have been relocating in steady numbers to suburban Raleigh towns such as Morrisville, Cary, and Apex. With that being said, of course, Seattle is going to have a more worldly feel than Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 08:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I'd much rather live in Raleigh. Better weather and far less isolated.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sorry, but you are actually wrong.

Seattle had 24 murders in 2017 compared to 26 for Raleigh.

Seattle has a 2017 estimated population of 713,000 compared to a 2017 estimated population of 468,000 for Raleigh. Raleigh is higher in overall numbers and in rate.

Raleigh homicide tally highest in recent years - CBS 17

https://patch.com/washington/seattle...-bad-it-sounds

You may be comparing 2018 but those numbers don’t count until year-end. Hot cities tend to ramp up in the summer.
I was looking at city data's crime statistics page which only goes up to 2013 for Raleigh. Between 2010 and 2013 Seattle had more murders each year and the rate was higher for most of those years. Based on the article you linked, it sounds like 2017 was an exceptional year for Raleigh with the highest murder count on record. Whereas Seattle had a fairly average year.

More importantly, look at overall violent crime rates for any year - Seattle's is way higher (e.g. in 2013 Raleigh had an overall violent crime index score of ~260, while Seattle's score was ~450.)

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Again, both are relatively safe cities by American standards, but I think it's hard to argue that Raleigh is not safer than Seattle based on the numbers.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That is changing very fast within the city limits and Western suburbs of Wake County. Many international transplants and especially South Asians have been relocating in steady numbers to suburban Raleigh towns such as Morrisville, Cary, and Apex. With that being said, of course, Seattle is going to have a more worldly feel than Raleigh.
I would argue, by definition, that Seattle is slightly more diverse based on the 2010 census.

- Seattle has 8% or higher for 4 categories (White, Asian, Black and Hispanic) while Raleigh only has that for three (White, Black, Hispanic) with no other category above 5%.

- Seattle's foreign-born population is 19%, Raleigh's is 13%.

- Seattle has over 5% of its population listed as '2 or more races', while Raleigh's is under 3%.

Also, if you look at the metro areas the comparison is more pronounced in Seattle's favor. There are a lot of jurisdictions in the Puget Sound Region (particularly in South King County and Pierce County) that are far more diverse than Seattle itself. In Raleigh that is not the case.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Raleigh has more black/white diversity but less overseas diversity.
Raleigh is less White and less Asian than Seattle. Seattle is less Black and less Hispanic than Raleigh.
In total, Raleigh has a larger percentage of non-White residents.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:58 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
This is an interesting comparison. On paper it seems like a total apples to oranges comparison. However when you dig deeper it's easy to see some similarities. I'll do my best.

Best universities: Raleigh, Duck and UNC are close by
Weather: I prefer Raliegh. Seattle has better Summer's but Raleigh easily has better Springs and Falls. Winters are about the same with Seattle being slightly milder and wetter.
Cost of living: Raleigh easily
Crime: Both are pretty safe but I think Seattle edges Raleigh out.
Political outlook: I prefer Raleigh. Seattle is too liberal for my test. Raleigh is more politically diverse
Culture: Seattle, good mix of Asian and traditional NW culture
Nightlife: Seattle, although Raleigh is underrated here
Outdoor activities: Seattle easily. Mountains, forest, lakes and beaches nearby.
Public transit: Seattle
Economy: Both have good economies. Seattle pays more, Raleigh is less competitive.
More accepting to transplants: Raleigh for sure. Seattle people can be a little cold. Raleigh natives might call you a "damn Yankee" but generally they are quite friendly to transplants.
Most diverse: Seattle. On paper Raleigh, but I think Seattle is a little more integrated.
Best food: Raleigh. Seattle has salmon, but Raleigh has much better BBQ, sweat tea, and seafood isn't too hard to find. Seattle is pushing a lot of that "health conscious" food these days. I'd rather just eat fruit and veggies straight up.
Most bike friendly: Seattle. It has more bike lanes overall, only downside is the hills.

Overall this is tougher than it appears. If I had to pick one to go to for a week vacation. Seattle easily. But for living I might actually give Raleigh the edge. It has more of what I'm looking for. Reasonable COL, good weather, friendly, and strong economy for the young workforce.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post

Best food: Raleigh. Seattle has salmon, but Raleigh has much better BBQ, sweat tea, and seafood isn't too hard to find. Seattle is pushing a lot of that "health conscious" food these days. I'd rather just eat fruit and veggies straight up.
Seattle is in a completely different tier than Raleigh when it comes to all Asian cuisines and seafood (including fish, crab, oysters, other shellfish, raw, cooked, chowders, fancy, casual, etc.). The quality of ingredients available, particularly produce, is vastly superior. Seattle is also significantly better across most other ethnic cuisines, upscale/fine dining, food trucks, pub grub, etc. The only types of foods that I would say are clearly better in Raleigh would be BBQ, soul food, and traditional southern fare (although, for what it's worth, a New York Times review recently said that "the hottest new Southern restaurant in the country is in Seattle". https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/t...nt-review.html)

When you add one of the largest concentrations of micro-breweries in the country, the exceptional regional wine, a number of award-winning local distilleries, Pike Place Market and a broad array of outstanding neighborhood Farmer's markets - I think Seattle clearly wins out in this category.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Best universities: Raleigh
Weather: Raleigh
Cost of living: Raleigh
Crime: Raleigh
Political outlook: Raleigh
Culture: Seattle
Nightlife: Seattle
Outdoor activities: Seattle
Public transit: Seattle
Economy: Both
More accepting to transplants: Raleigh
Most diverse: Seattle
Best food: Seattle
Most bike friendly: Seattle

I like both cities but would choose Raleigh because it is affordable, safe, and offers a high quality of life.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I was looking at city data's crime statistics page which only goes up to 2013 for Raleigh. Between 2010 and 2013 Seattle had more murders each year and the rate was higher for most of those years. Based on the article you linked, it sounds like 2017 was an exceptional year for Raleigh with the highest murder count on record. Whereas Seattle had a fairly average year.

More importantly, look at overall violent crime rates for any year - Seattle's is way higher (e.g. in 2013 Raleigh had an overall violent crime index score of ~260, while Seattle's score was ~450.)

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Again, both are relatively safe cities by American standards, but I think it's hard to argue that Raleigh is not safer than Seattle based on the numbers.
A common theory is that places with higher murder rates might report a lower percentage of smaller crimes. In Seattle a broken window (proverbially speaking) or a small tussle will get a police report.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City