Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like better?
Seattle, WA 67 68.37%
Raleigh, NC 31 31.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Which do I like better? Raleigh. I could never do a Seattle winter and I dislike the outdoorsy/hipster/introverted people of the PNW and SF.

Based on criteria? Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Which do I like better? Raleigh. I could never do a Seattle winter and I dislike the outdoorsy/hipster/introverted people of the PNW and SF.

Based on criteria? Seattle.
Raleigh has a high percentage of transplants from Florida and the I-95 Corridor of the Northeast. As a result, one is likely to experience more antisocial behavior in Raleigh than Seattle, which attracts more transplants from California, Texas and the Midwest.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Raleigh has a high percentage of transplants from Florida and the I-95 Corridor of the Northeast. As a result, one is likely to experience more antisocial behavior in Raleigh than Seattle, which attracts more transplants from California, Texas and the Midwest.
Never heard of people from the Northeast being antisocial lol. I like the abruptness and honesty of people here. I much prefer it over the passive aggressive west coasters. The PNW is known for being cold and introverted. The Northeast is stereotype is Tony from Brooklyn/South Philly. Tony is my favorite type of person.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 AM

617 posts, read 551,568 times
Quote:
Raleigh is not anti-social. Since it is located in the South people are much more friendly in public etc. Even with the massive amount of transplants it has not become an unfriendly/ anti-social city whatsoever. It does seem that many of the NE transplants do assimilate into southern culture, at least being friendly. Now I did hear the road rage has gotten completely ridiculous there lol. Oh and by the way, I am a Raleigh native so I know pretty well.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Transferees from the Northeast are nothing new to Raleigh; it's been happening for 50 years now. Over that time, the culture from the Northeast has influenced Raleigh, and Raleigh has conversely influenced the transferees. The foundation of your assertion is that Northeasterners are unfriendly, and that's simply not true. While there have been challenges as the cultures blended, friendliness wasn't one of them. I'd say that pace, directness, and the "in New York, we did it like this" narrative caused the most tension. I know because my family were outside observers of this cultural tension when we transferred to Raleigh from San Jose in the 70s. We had little influence but it was fun to watch it unfold over the decades. Today it's a different area than it was 40 years ago. The blended (mostly) East Coast culture is alive and well in Raleigh and the Triangle, and it's actually part of what's attracting more people.
The notion of your assertion delivered as if it's fact is laughable. It's simply not true at all.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM

415 posts, read 606,928 times
Weed and grunge or NY transients and better weather.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
I’m from New England and lived throughout the northeast including nyc and nj for over 36 years. People are definitely more talkative and it is much easier to make friends in the northeast than out here. People tend to keep more to themselves out here and are less likely to talk to you. Also the passive aggressiveness here is real. That said, people are not rude or anything like that. Most people are quite nice and polite here more like they just don’t want to be bothered to make friends/antisocial is the best way to describe it.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 05-17-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Weather: Winters are about the same with Seattle being slightly milder and wetter.
There is nothing “about the same” in winter. Raleigh gets sun lol. Temps are mild...true in that regard but we can go weeks/months without seeing the sun here in winter. Same with rain. We can go weeks where it rains every day and when it isn’t raining it looks like it will or it is just finished lol. Everything here in winter is just damp. Not to mention we are further north and get less sun anyway...now add to that the dark low hanging clouds we get. Read this article:
http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-w...art-of-october

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 05-17-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 09:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
There is nothing “about the same” in winter. Raleigh gets sun lol. Temps are mild...true in that regard but we can go weeks/months without seeing the sun here in winter. Same with rain. We can go weeks where it rains every day and when it isn’t raining it looks like it will or it is just finished lol. Everything here in winter is just damp. Not to mention we are further north and get less sun anyway...now add to that the dark low hanging clouds we get. Read this article:
Never-ending gloom? Seattle has had just 3 sunny, mild days since the start of October | KOMO
Trying to pin down a narrative about Winter in Raleigh is like playing whack-a-mole. On any given day throughout the Winter, it can be Sunny and in the high 70s, rainy in the 50s, or snowy/icy with the entire city shut down over next to nothing. That said, more "typical" days will be Sunny with highs in the low 50s with lows near freezing in January with escalating highs and lows through March. It's just enough Winter for those who can't give up having one completely.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Trying to pin down a narrative about Winter in Raleigh is like playing whack-a-mole. On any given day throughout the Winter, it can be Sunny and in the high 70s, rainy in the 50s, or snowy/icy with the entire city shut down over next to nothing. That said, more "typical" days will be Sunny with highs in the low 50s with lows near freezing in January with escalating highs and lows through March. It's just enough Winter for those who can't give up having one completely.
Yeah that sounds about right for that area. I was stationed in NC for a bit as well as SC. And winters were pretty mild...nothing like New England where I’m from and certainly nothing like Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City