Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Nashville
Baltimore 39 57.35%
Nashville 29 42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:45 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Interesting comparison.

1. Downtown: Baltimore
2. Walkability: Baltimore
3. Architecture: Baltimore
4. Economy: Nashville
5. Climate: Nashville
6. Scenery: Nashville
7. Bars: Nashville
8. Resturaunts: Baltimore. Nashville has an over abundance of high end restaurants and low class bar and grills, but very little in the mid/upscale offering (i.e. Seasons 52, J. Alexander's etc.). Many of the restaurants I dined at were overrated. Both cities have excellent ethnic food offerings.
8. Suburbs: Baltimore for its more complete better planned areas. Nashville's suburbs were very poorly planned, often lacking sidewalks and decent retail. Nashville's hilly region makes connectivity and cohesiveness challenging.
9. Transportation (Car and Public): Baltimore
10. Recreational Activities: Nashville
11. Education: Nashville
12. Where would you rather live? Nashville

I like both cities, but Baltimore wins for it's underrated urban character and architecture. Baltimore, despite its high crime and run down areas, is a complete city. The economy is strong and it is nice to see diversity among its business and civic leaders. Nashville is home and doing very well right now. Nashville still struggles with income inequality, gentrification, and mass transit however.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Baltimore by a mile. If that city could ever get its crime under control (which would require it to also get its corrupt politics under control), the city would be booming. Even with the crime, there is a lot of new construction going on in the inner harbor area of Baltimore with new highrises etc.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Baltimore wins this one. Nashville wins on lower crime, weather, and a better economy (although Baltimore MSA is quite wealthy). But Baltimore wins on everything else.
"Crime" was not a factor, according to the OP.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
"Crime" was not a factor, according to the OP.
I'm sure it matters for a lot of people. Despite what many believe, Baltimore has it's fair share of safe areas.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
I'm surprised to see Baltimore winning the poll.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Baltimore by a mile. If that city could ever get its crime under control (which would require it to also get its corrupt politics under control), the city would be booming. Even with the crime, there is a lot of new construction going on in the inner harbor area of Baltimore with new highrises etc.
It's not even just around the harbor. There is new construction going on in places that haven't seen anything new in decades.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:22 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm surprised to see Baltimore winning the poll.
Same here. Nashville is a darling city here on C-D.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:43 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's not even just around the harbor. There is new construction going on in places that haven't seen anything new in decades.
I'm surprised Nashville isn't getting blown away. Anyone who's been around c-d for a while knows that most posters skew heavily in favor of Rust Belt/Northeast/Midwest high density and are very anti Sun Belt/New South. The categories in this thread are loaded in favor of Baltimore, so even if someone prefers Nashville over-all, he is almost forced to vote in favor of Baltimore. The vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about "walkability" or "architecture" or even public transportation when choosing where to live, but on c-d those kinds of categories are sacrosanct.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I'm surprised Nashville isn't getting blown away. Anyone who's been around c-d for a while knows that most posters skew heavily in favor of Rust Belt/Northeast/Midwest high density and are very anti Sun Belt/New South. The categories in this thread are loaded in favor of Baltimore, so even if someone prefers Nashville over-all, he is almost forced to vote in favor of Baltimore. The vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about "walkability" or "architecture" or even public transportation when choosing where to live, but on c-d those kinds of categories are sacrosanct.
I'd say those categories are relevant in a subforum dedicated to comparing and contrasting cities.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say those categories are relevant in a subforum dedicated to comparing and contrasting cities.
In the world of c-d city vs city groupthink, yes. In the real world, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City