Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Boise: which you prefer to live in?
San Jose 35 35.35%
Boise 64 64.65%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I just feel like Boise has so much potential. It could be the next Denver. San Jose has had a lot of potential during the past few decades but hasn’t done anything special with it and now that potential is sputtering out.
San Jose is a world class city, more than you know what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekul565 View Post
There is absolutely no way San Jose can have the second best transportation in the entire country. New York would be first followed by Chicago then maybe Washington DC or Boston. San Jose does have a functioning light rail system and bus system, however for a city of that size, it has a really low ridership. The best thing that San Jose has in terms of transportation is its bike trails and maybe Caltrain. Not to mention that San Jose has some of the worst traffic problems in the country. I do acknowledge that San Jose is denser than one would think, and is the third or fourth densest msa in the country, the density is fairly uniform, making for mostly semi-dense suburban expanses. Nothing like cities on the East Coast, while overall less dense, have impressive city cores. San Jose is densifying with new apartment complexes as well as mixed used buildings, but for now it has a fairly unexciting urban form. San Jose's downtown is definitely underrated, but I would not call it one of the best in the country. It does have beautiful older buildings and good restaurants though. Like the rest of San Jose, the downtown is a work in progress with new high rises being built and more and more tech companies moving in. Don't get me wrong, I love San Jose, I live there, and I would choose it over Boise or even Pittsburg, but claiming that San Jose is the best city in the country is quite fantastical.
Agreed, VTA's ridership is really pathetic. It apparently made a list a top transit systems because of how many people and jobs it reaches but few of them actually take it. San Jose is an embarrassment to the rest of the Bay Area when it comes to transit. Unfortunately it's built like and functions like car-obsessed LA/OC (yuck).

25 years later, VTA light rail among the nation’s worst

VTA facing chronic deficits, declining ridership and service cuts

Silicon Valley Can't Get Transit Right

San Jose Proves BRT Can Be as Wasteful as Light Rail

Staggering drop in VTA bus ridership may signal dramatic changes

It's honestly the most overpriced, worst value in the world for what you get. Homes are $1,000+ per square foot for dull, run-of-the-mill post war suburbia.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM

113 posts, read 77,856 times
What's bad is that the only people that like San Jose are trolls. Now it is The Topper and a few years ago it was Durf. San Jose is very underrated on city data, it's definitely not on level of Houston or Phoenix, it is much better than that. It's less suburban than people give it credit for, but not nearly as stunningly urban as many, many cities in the US. After all, San Jose does have the twentieth best walkscore in the country of the fifty largest cities. It's nothing to brag about, but it is better than average. The fact that San Jose itself is boring is irrelevant to how one would live in San Jose. So many exciting things are within an hour or less drive from the city; San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Wine Country, and many small cities on the Peninsula, are a short drive from San Jose. San Jose has beautiful neighborhoods such as the Rose Garden, Willow Glenn, and Naglee Park, as well as some interesting ethnic neighborhoods such as Japantown and Little Saigon.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Guess SJ is the worst city in America in City Data: loses to every single city there is. Is SJ that bad?
Indianapolis will give San Jose a run for its money. Indianapolis almost always comes in last place or near the bottom in city vs city polls.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
I'm surprised Boise is winning this poll, being that San Francisco is nearby to San Jose and San Jose is over a million and Boise is what - about half a million or so?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm surprised Boise is winning this poll, being that San Francisco is nearby to San Jose and San Jose is over a million and Boise is what - about half a million or so?
Just reached 200,000

Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed, VTA's ridership is really pathetic. It apparently made a list a top transit systems because of how many people and jobs it reaches but few of them actually take it. San Jose is an embarrassment to the rest of the Bay Area when it comes to transit. Unfortunately it's built like and functions like car-obsessed LA/OC (yuck).

25 years later, VTA light rail among the nation’s worst

VTA facing chronic deficits, declining ridership and service cuts

Silicon Valley Can't Get Transit Right

San Jose Proves BRT Can Be as Wasteful as Light Rail

Staggering drop in VTA bus ridership may signal dramatic changes

It's honestly the most overpriced, worst value in the world for what you get. Homes are $1,000+ per square foot for dull, run-of-the-mill post war suburbia.
Ridership on 2nd best transportation system in the U.S. is pathetic, acknowledged. Value is meh: great downtown and diverse neighborhoods but prices are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Just reached 200,000
Boise: 226,570
Metro: 709,845
CSA: 790,363

Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Even this one pegged SJ transit 6th best.

10 U.S. Cities with the Best Public Transportation Though ridership is pathetic, agreed!

Last edited by mjlo; 06-08-2018 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post

Old 06-11-2018, 01:40 PM

485 posts, read 324,120 times
1. Downtown: San Jose
2. Natural Beauty: San Jose
3. Economy: San Jose
4. People: Boise
5. Attractions: San Jose
6. Population: San Jose
7. Transportation: San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
At this point I think a lot of people vote against San Jose just because of the OP. With that being said I picked Boise because I genuinely like it.
You're probably right but I still couldn't vote Boise. I don't know anything about the OP or his/her motives ... I'm not really a huge SJ fan but I did live in Boise for 2 years and was bored out of my mind.

The closest major city is SLC which is a 5 hour drive, smelled like cows/horses because of all the farms, very brown, not enough greenery, those "mountains" just do not compare to the Colorado Rockies or the Washington Cascades. I got tired of always "floating" the river or walking thru corn mazes.

I would pick San Jose not because I actually like San Jose, but because I do not care for Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City