Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

Thread deleted, did a search, can't find a thread that asks the same question, so I am re-posting it.

What city, with a metro population of 2 million or higher is the most conservative in your opinion?

Metrics I use to compare and contrast a city's conservatism are:

-Political alignment
-Social services
-Social acceptance of LGBT, minorities, fashion trends, etc
- Mass transit and urban planning
-Religious Zeal

Including cities of 2 million MSA or more should make this list only available to the top 30-35 largest MSA's in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Thread deleted, did a search, can't find a thread that asks the same question, so I am re-posting it.

What city, with a metro population of 2 million or higher is the most conservative in your opinion?

Metrics I use to compare and contrast a city's conservatism are:

-Political alignment
-Social services
-Social acceptance of LGBT, minorities, fashion trends, etc
- Mass transit and urban planning
-Religious Zeal

Including cities of 2 million MSA or more should make this list only available to the top 30-35 largest MSA's in the country.
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Sacramento

Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I dont know if its the most, but Fort Worth based solely on voting would be the most "conservative" among cities that big- iifc, Fort Worth's MD is more populous than either San Antonio's or Austin's, both confidencely over two million.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Wasnt there a thread started that the mods must have deleted?

Old 05-22-2018, 05:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I have never visited Detroit, although I am in the works of planning a trip this summer. Even though it's a Democratic city, I wouldn't really list it as progressive, from what I know of it. I am curious if the city itself and its functions and feel are more conservative? Despite its Democratic/liberal base?

I am also curious on comparing Cleveland and Detroit in various metrics. Even though there is a very significant size difference, I feel like they have quite a bit in common, and I have recently visited Cleveland, I found it to be a highly underrated city.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
Most of the 2 million+ metros are dominated by liberals/Democrats. Below are the ones that break-even or provide gains for conservatives/Republicans.

1. Phoenix-Mesa
2. Dallas-Fort Worth
3. Cincinnati
4. Tampa-St. Petersburg
5. Pittsburgh
6. Indianapolis
7. Houston
8. Charlotte
9. Kansas City
10. San Antonio
11. St. Louis

Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Most of the 2 million+ metros are dominated by liberals/Democrats. Below are the ones that break-even or provide gains for conservatives/Republicans.

1. Phoenix-Mesa
2. Dallas-Fort Worth
3. Cincinnati
4. Tampa-St. Petersburg
5. Pittsburgh
6. Indianapolis
7. Houston
8. Charlotte
9. Kansas City
10. San Antonio
11. St. Louis
Ooooh, Baby! You fixing to be in for a FIGHT with this list! I’m ready to see 2,7, and 8 snatch edges and push wigs back.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Ooooh, Baby! You fixing to be in for a FIGHT with this list! I’m ready to see 2,7, and 8 snatch edges and push wigs back.
Well if you look at the whole metro area (MSA), then it makes more sense. I'm sure many areas in the city are bright blue, but the suburbs are red. For Dallas-Fort Worth look at Collin, Denton, Tarrant, Ellis, Johnson, Rockwall, Hood, Parker, Wise and Kaufmann counties. DFW is easily a red metro.

Houston gets closer, but I believe it ends up being just slightly red as a metro. Charlotte is even closer, but still might be a slight red edge of breakeven.

Again, I'm sure large areas of the cities themselves are bright blue, but the metro area can tell a different story when you include small cities, towns, and suburbs that are a part of the daily life and work of the metro.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:

1. Phoenix-Mesa
2. Dallas-Fort Worth
3. Cincinnati
4. Tampa-St. Petersburg
5. Pittsburgh
6. Indianapolis
7. Houston
8. Charlotte
9. Kansas City
10. San Antonio
11. St. Louis
Indianapolis currently has a democrat mayor, democrat majority city-county council, just passed a transit referendum, and is home to a large gay pride festival. Indianapolis voted 64% for Obama in 2008, 61% for Obama in 2012, and 62% for Clinton in 2016. The congressman representing the largest district in Indianapolis is a Muslim democrat, only the second Muslim to be elected to Congress. Please explain which of these empirical stats provides a "break-even or gains for conservatives/Republicans."

Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Quote:

1. Phoenix-Mesa
2. Dallas-Fort Worth
3. Cincinnati
4. Tampa-St. Petersburg
5. Pittsburgh
6. Indianapolis
7. Houston
8. Charlotte
9. Kansas City
10. San Antonio
11. St. Louis
Pittsburgh has had a Democratic mayor since some time in the 1930s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City