Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans pushes well above is weight while Baton Rouge does not but when I think of a gigantic gap, I think of Houston versus Beaumont or something. I feel like Baton Rouge and New Orleans are closer to Cleveland and Colombus or something.

Im not sure how to rank schools but Southern University probably has the best law program in the state. LSU's is also in Baton Rouge. The University of New Orleans is also an LSU system school. I believe the best nursing program is also Southern University. Although New Orleans does very well, in my opinion, Baton Rouge is far and away the education capital. All of the decisions about LSU system schools and funding programs like TOPS comes from BR.

There's more federal government infrastructure there because of its history but every decision on the state level is decided in downtown Baton Rouge. Including decisions on New Orleans' economy.

For what us worth, EBR Parish is larger than Orleans and will be for a long time.

Outside of cultural and big city amenities, I don't think New Orleans is THAT much more important.

I'm more of a New Orleans homer even though I'm from Baton Rouge.

Diplomats will often rather New Orleans due to infrastructure and amenities and not knowing what a BR even is. That's a given, I wouldn't expect a diplomat to visit Albany versus NYC.
I see where your thinking is now, and I do tend to agree that the difference is not as huge as the difference between Houston and Beaumont. BR has far more significance to it's state than Beaumont has to Texas. However, New Orleans also has far more significance to it's state than Houston has to Texas.

A more apt comparison would in my mind would be NY and DC. I am just looking at it in terms of how significant it is to it's state so I don't want to get into an argument about BR not being anything like DC but anyway, DC is one of the most important cities in the world, but it still a huge gap between DC and New York in terms of the sheer difference in what each offer.

As far as education, let's go back to Texas to look at education.
Austin used to be the college town. UT is the big undergrad University in the State. It is a tier 1 school and has great law and other programs. Houston's largest school is UH, and although it has improved a ton in the last few decades it is no where near as prominent as UT. When u look at how the schools are evaluated Rice in Houston consistently outranks UT. The difference is in size. But we have to look at it as a collective. When u look at medicine there is Baylor ( one of the top 15 or so med schools in the country) and two other med schools. Austin is just setting up it's med school at UT. When u look at law, Houston has 3, Austin has 1. When u look at just about every area Houston has multiple great institutions of higher education. Just not in the same school.

The same dynamic is present in LA. LSU is the good huge flagship University in the state while Tulane is the small but better ranked college. But undergrad is like high school nowadays. When u look at post graduate bang for your buck, the offering in BR do not match that of NOLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 04:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I see where your thinking is now, and I do tend to agree that the difference is not as huge as the difference between Houston and Beaumont. BR has far more significance to it's state than Beaumont has to Texas. However, New Orleans also has far more significance to it's state than Houston has to Texas.

A more apt comparison would in my mind would be NY and DC. I am just looking at it in terms of how significant it is to it's state so I don't want to get into an argument about BR not being anything like DC but anyway, DC is one of the most important cities in the world, but it still a huge gap between DC and New York in terms of the sheer difference in what each offer.

As far as education, let's go back to Texas to look at education.
Austin used to be the college town. UT is the big undergrad University in the State. It is a tier 1 school and has great law and other programs. Houston's largest school is UH, and although it has improved a ton in the last few decades it is no where near as prominent as UT. When u look at how the schools are evaluated Rice in Houston consistently outranks UT. The difference is in size. But we have to look at it as a collective. When u look at medicine there is Baylor ( one of the top 15 or so med schools in the country) and two other med schools. Austin is just setting up it's med school at UT. When u look at law, Houston has 3, Austin has 1. When u look at just about every area Houston has multiple great institutions of higher education. Just not in the same school.

The same dynamic is present in LA. LSU is the good huge flagship University in the state while Tulane is the small but better ranked college. But undergrad is like high school nowadays. When u look at post graduate bang for your buck, the offering in BR do not match that of NOLA.
That's interesting. I do agree that New Orleans has more significance to Louisiana.
That is a good comparison.

I would never call Houston an education capital. The flagship and all higher education decisions are made in Austin. I think there's more to being a education capital than just school rankings. Houston is the energy capital because of the headquarters, not the amount of crude they refine.

Tulane is pretty inaccessible to many people in the state also, LaTech I believe has the best bag for your buck. After that I believe its Southern University.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would never call Houston an education capital. The flagship and all higher education decisions are made in Austin.
That's an interesting perspective. In Georgia, Atlanta is clearly the education capital although the flagship is in Athens. In Pennsylvania, both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are education capitals although the flagship is in College Station.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The population of metro areas are based on commuting patterns for work. Apparently not that many people in the Shreveport region actually travel to Shreveport or its suburbs for work although they probably travel there for leisure, healthcare, to use the airport, etc. That's actually not an uncommon phenomenon for smaller regions anchored by a city the size of Shreveport.
The metro area is the right size, adding any Texas counties is not likely because the economy and growth rate is far higher than Shreveport.
Quote:
That's an interesting perspective. In Georgia, Atlanta is clearly the education capital although the flagship is in Athens. In Pennsylvania, both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are education capitals although the flagship is in College Station.
Im not familiar with schools outside of the south lol. SEC bias lol. But yes I would agree that Atlanta is far and away the education capital. No idea about Pennsylvania. I would say that Mississippi is confusing, not sure which one of Mississippi State and Ole Miss are the flagship and neither are in Jackson.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:16 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Oops!

College Station is in Texas - it's where Texas A&M University is located.

The town (borough) in Pennsylvania that is home to the flagship campus of the Pennsylvania State University is State College.

Penn State, however, (a) has branch campuses across the state, like many flagship state universities do in populous states (b) is actually one of four schools at the top tier of Pennsylvania's public system of higher education. It's first among equals, true, but the others are the University of Pittsburgh in that city, Temple University in Philadelphia and Lincoln University, the oldest historically black institution of higher education in the United States, in Chester County, outside Philadelphia.

The role of "education capital" in a state, then, often hinges on institutions other than the flagship state university. It may, and often does, hinge on the total number of higher education institutions in an area. That's certainly the case in Pennsylvania, where the Philadelphia area has the state's highest concentration of colleges and universities, most of them private. (In addition to Temple, Lincoln and the Penn State branch campuses in Abington and Delaware County, there is also West Chester University, which is the largest of the 14 former teachers' colleges that make up what's known as the State System of Higher Education.)

But that's probably more than you wanted to know about Pennsylvania's system of public higher education.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 06-23-2018 at 12:24 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 06:25 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Based on available job opportunities, the most recreational opportunities, activities and festivals, eateries, relations between people of different backgrounds, education attainment (primary, secondary and higher education) cost of living, housing affordability, and overall highest quality of life, which of Louisiana's top five largest cities fits these traits the best: Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, New Orleans or Shreveport?
job opportunities (New Orleans),
the most recreational opportunities (New Orleans),
activities and festivals (New Orleans),
eateries (New Orleans),
relations between people of different backgrounds (Lafayette),
education attainment (primary, secondary and higher education)(New Orleans),
cost of living (Lake Charles),
housing affordability (Lake Charles),
and overall highest quality of life (New Orleans),
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City