Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I completely understand this. Not even elected officials are immune from systemic racism as evident recently in OR where door to door campaigning resulted in police being called on an elected official who was campaigning for re-election.
However, this should not result in capitulating to hate and discrimination through our own decision making. This would be true for any group who finds themselves marginalized in society. I'm just saying that I wouldn't allow others to limit me based on their narrative. If I were rich, I'd go to where I would want to go.
Can you acknowledge that those negative experiences help shape the “where I want to go”. I’m black and upper-middle class. The wealthiest town in my state is one of my suburbs, and I could easily afford to live there. I have no desire to do so. My preferences are shaped by my experiences.

That’s not to say that I’ve segregated myself. I still live in a predominantly white neighborhood, in a predominantly white city, but there’s enough diversity in my area to make me feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More on this business district, which is in a lower to upper middle class, mostly black, but diverse part of the community: Springfield Avenue Partnership

Census Tract 019600 in Essex County, New Jersey
Census Tract 019700 in Essex County, New Jersey
The second tract for Maplewood above is north of the street as well.
Some businesses in the business district: https://www.facebook.com/CornbreadMaplewood/

https://www.facebook.com/woulibamrestaurant/

Inspiration Dance

LaChaney's Dance and Music Academy

https://www.paintandchill.com/

https://www.ourganggroup.com/

Home

Double Sided Bow Ties, Silk Ties, Custom Ascots, Reversible | Newark, NJ

So, it is an area not only diverse in terms of the residents, but in terms of the businesses, while having a substantial to high presence of black residents and owned businesses. All within a walkable district as well.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Can you acknowledge that those negative experiences help shape the “where I want to go”. I’m black and upper-middle class. The wealthiest town in my state is one of my suburbs, and I could easily afford to live there. I have no desire to do so. My preferences are shaped by my experiences.

That’s not to say that I’ve segregated myself. I still live in a predominantly white neighborhood, in a predominantly white city, but there’s enough diversity in my area to make me feel comfortable.
You also may find urban/city neighborhoods where you have a substantial to high black percentage, but are at least solidly middle class. So, that is a good point that it doesn’t necessarily have to be a suburb or a (stereo)typical place.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You also may find urban/city neighborhoods where you have a substantial to high black percentage, but are at least solidly middle class. So, that is a good point that it doesn’t necessarily have to be a suburb or a (stereo)typical place.
I would live in Harlem, Ft Greene, Bed Stuy, Prospect Heights in NYC or Trinidad in DC, at my current income level. If I were actually rich, I would only consider Ft Greene. My other favorite black neighborhood is Kenwood, in Chicago, but there are better values in the city, in my price range.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I completely understand this. Not even elected officials are immune from systemic racism as evident recently in OR where door to door campaigning resulted in police being called on an elected official who was campaigning for re-election.
However, this should not result in capitulating to hate and discrimination through our own decision making. This would be true for any group who finds themselves marginalized in society. I'm just saying that I wouldn't allow others to limit me based on their narrative. If I were rich, I'd go to where I would want to go.
I get your point but.I think (maybe others also) ,people would want to not have to feel uncomfortable or be around people that fit them culturally.Rich neighborhoods are almost exclusively white so if you can have that in a black wealthy neighborhood and you are black,why not?I also keep asking the question ;"why don't wealthy white people move in black neighborhoods"?They move in black poor neighborhoods and fix up older homes causing gentrification so why is it such a rarity for whites to want to have their kids live in among blacks who are wealthy?

My point is the choice to integrate is always on black people.I think many black people segregate because they are tired of this notion where blacks are always the ones making concessions.

Moving where ever you can afford is the right of all Americans but if moving somewhere among people who may or may accept you or like some blacks who have a need to be legitimized by white people is just not a look.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Anywhere is!

So True!
Wish people would stop putting a label on cities and places where blacks should be and live!

Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
So True!
Wish people would stop putting a label on cities and places where blacks should be and live!
Also black people who are rich tend to be more intergrated! When you aren’t worried about money you have more options to choose from.

I’m sure there are many black folks who would want to still live in Beverly Hills if they got the money to do so!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:16 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Also black people who are rich tend to be more intergrated! When you aren’t worried about money you have more options to choose from.

I’m sure there are many black folks who would want to still live in Beverly Hills if they got the money to do so!

So True!

Old 07-12-2018, 02:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,628 times
So if a black student goes to a black college, is that a problem too? Because I went to a black college and I learned so much from everyone there. Diversity isn't just about black and white. It's about people coming from different backgrounds, different countries, and different incomes. you can live in a black neighborhood and it can still be diverse

Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
So True!
Maybe you wouldn't be bothered living in a place where you might gets stares or can't find a barber/stylist or won't see some of your favorite artists stop on tour or whatever, but don't be mad at Black folks who would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City