Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a more lively big city?
Charlotte 16 34.78%
Pittsburgh 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times

Advertisements

Out of two which has better

Big city feel:

Dining:

Progressive culture :

Nightlife:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
I don’t really care for either city’s nightlife. Pittsburgh has the better restaurant scene.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Haven't been to Pittsburgh but I'd imagine it has more of a big city feel.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM

5,830 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Big city feel is maybe a slight edge to Pittsburgh because of the historically urban fabric, but Charlotte is close. Uptown compares favorably to DtPgh...outside of downtowns, Pittsburgh maintains an urban nature for a much wider area, but Charlotte has a more vast feel--it is a geographically large city. Charlotte feels more modern and that also contributes to big city feel (modern transit, modern airport, etc), so at worst this is s slight win for Pittsburgh, but I'd vote for a tie...

More ethnic food is represented in Charlotte. Charlotte also may offer better high end dining, while Pittsburgh has better local flavor and a better bar scene. I say Charlotte but that could also be a tie...

Progressive, I guess Charlotte? I dont know much about the politics in either city...

Pittsburgh nightlife is bar-centric. Charlotte's is club and lounge-centric. I think Charlotte's is better....

But.......

These two cities are evenly matched because of the contrasts of each other that they are. Both are among my favorite cities...

Old 08-04-2018, 02:45 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Pittsburgh has more of a big city feel because it’s much more Urban; but it’s very disappointing with its nightlife...

All Bar centric, which is cool...but the nightlife scene lacks creativity. For example, Charlotte’s “Durag Fest” looked so fun an exciting, cant see anything like that being pulled in Pittsburgh

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Pittsburgh has more of a big city feel because it’s much more Urban; but it’s very disappointing with its nightlife...

All Bar centric, which is cool...but the nightlife scene lacks creativity. For example, Charlotte’s “Durag Fest” looked so fun an exciting, cant see anything like that being pulled in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh has a burgeoning blipster scene. Mainstream black knight life is sort of lacking, so you won’t find a Durag Fest, but there is a black beer festival next weekend.

https://freshfestbeerfest.com

Old 08-04-2018, 07:25 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don’t really care for either city’s nightlife. Pittsburgh has the better restaurant scene.
Please explain what don't you care for. Thanks

Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Big city feel: Pittsburgh

Dining: Pittsburgh

Progressive culture : Pittsburgh

Nightlife: Neither are well known for nightlife. Charlotte appears to be gaining with new venues.

I would choose Pittsburgh for entertainment because has more to do.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Big city feel: The Burgh

Dining: not sure, but probably The Burgh

Progressive culture : The Burgh

Nightlife: Not sure, but probably The Burgh

Pittsburgh breezes vs. Charlotte as the much more established, more diverse, more cultured, more urban and more interesting city. It also is one of the more interesting cities topographically and architecture-wise, given Pittsburgh's colonial roots. That doesn't mean Charlotte is a bad city and certainly it appeals to a particular demographic that likes newer, shiny Sunbelt-type sprawling cities.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Big city feel: Tie

Dining: Charlotte has more high end dining, Pittsburgh more ethnic

Progressive culture: There's more political diversity in Charlotte.

Nightlife: "Nightlife" for me is being able to go out for a dinner, movie, play, etc. I can do that in either city with no problem. Tie.

I really do love Pittsburgh. I have a soft spot for the city. But I prefer Charlotte overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City