Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Dallas 62 51.24%
Atlanta 55 45.45%
Charlotte 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Another advantage I would give to Dallas is the fact that DART covers a much bigger area than MARTA, despite only being light rail.
I would argue that's MATA serves Atlanta Proper better than Dart serves Dallas proper though.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would argue that's MATA serves Atlanta Proper better than Dart serves Dallas proper though.
Yeah I would agree with that. It's pretty much common knowledge in Dallas.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:18 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
The one in Grapevine was pretty interesting to see. Enjoyed my time there. Atlanta doesn't have much of that.
It is true that Alpharetta, Peachtree City, Cumming, Sandy Springs, etc. have virtually no downtowns to write home about, but Atlanta still has other suburbs that are no slouch either with historic and vibrant town squares.

Newnan / Senoia (both places where The Walking Dead is filmed)
*Decatur
*Cartersville
*McDonough
*Covington
*Carrollton
*Marietta

Main difference is, with exception to Decatur and Marietta, none of these places are in highly sought-after parts of Atlanta and pretty much get unfairly overlooked (unlike with Plano, Grapevine and McKinney in Dallas).

Old 08-23-2018, 01:31 PM

923 posts, read 664,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You can’t be serious with that last sentence. Dallas arguably has best best designed suburbs in the country and most of them have their own cute downtown squares.
Well I guess its a matter of opinion as I disagree.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
The one in Grapevine was pretty interesting to see. Enjoyed my time there. Atlanta doesn't have much of that.
Yes it does.Marietta,Woodstock,McDonough,Decatur,Fayettev ille Senoia,etc

Grapevine/Southlake are similar to Alpharetta but bigger with more historical buildings

Old 08-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It is true that Alpharetta, Peachtree City, Cumming, Sandy Springs, etc. have virtually no downtowns to write home about, but Atlanta still has other suburbs that are no slouch either with historic and vibrant town squares.

*Decatur
*Cartersville
*McDonough
*Covington
*Carrollton
*Marietta

Main difference is, with exception to Decatur and Marietta, none of these places are in highly sought-after parts of Atlanta and pretty much get unfairly overlooked (unlike with Plano, Grapevine and McKinney in Dallas).
Forgot about Covington.Its popular with many movies and tv shows.So much is filmed there over the years due to its historic architecture.
Just asking but is there anything like Serenbe around Dallas?
Serenbe

Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM

8,327 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Well I guess its a matter of opinion as I disagree.
Be honest, how much do you know about the Dallas area? How much time have you spent there?

Old 08-23-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Be honest, how much do you know about the Dallas area? How much time have you spent there?
I was stationed in Wichta Falls TX at Shepherd AFB.I spent almost every other weekend in and around Dallas or OKC visiting family.Its been many years (accept once briefly) since I've been in Dallas as I have no reason to go there.
I personally dont like the layout of Dallas.Its flat and brown but has a very nice urban layout but overall other than a few neighborhoods its visually kinda bland.
I also dont like its its housing stock which is better than in many parts of the US but lacks much architectural diversity as Atlanta.Many of the houses are brick and dont vary as much in styles.
Dallas does big projects like Clyde Warren Park which I visited briefly after it opened and its a true assets to the city and there are many things that Dallas is or has done that should make other cities jealous but overall Dallas has a lack of emotion and dept that I find more in Atlanta..
Do I know it as well as you ?No.Im sure I dont.
Nor do I want to unless I have a free ticket or reason to go.
I can have an opinion about something like aesthetics.Had I said something quantifiable then I completely understand your questioning.

I actually think Dallas is more like Atlanta in some ways but something I cant place is missing.(for me)

Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 PM

340 posts, read 320,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

*Decatur
*Cartersville
*McDonough
*Covington
*Carrollton
*Marietta

Alpharetta has 2 downtowns. One is downtown Alpharetta which is expanding at a very fast rate and Avalon. They are planning on connecting these two ""downtowns" and have started.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Alpharetta has 2 downtowns. One is downtown Alpharetta which is expanding at a very fast rate and Avalon. They are planning on connecting these two ""downtowns" and have started.
Alpharetta's a fine city for what it is, but IMO, "Historic" downtown Alpharetta is very underwhelming to me, compared to what the others cities that I listed have.

The fact that developers have to come in and build practically new downtowns from scratch (or "expand" upon the existing one) shows how much it's lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City