Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best downtown riverfront?
New York downtown (Hudson, East) 9 5.33%
New York midtown (Hudson, East) 2 1.18%
Boston (Charles) 11 6.51%
Philadelphia (Schuylkill, Delaware) 6 3.55%
Washington (Potomac) 5 2.96%
Baltimore (Patapsco/Inner Harbor) 11 6.51%
Pittsburgh (Allegheny, Monongahela) 21 12.43%
Detroit (Detroit) 2 1.18%
Cleveland (Cayahouga) 3 1.78%
Cincinnati (Ohio) 8 4.73%
Louisville (Ohio) 1 0.59%
Chicago (Chicago) 50 29.59%
Milwaukee (Milwaukee) 5 2.96%
Minneapolis (Mississippi) 5 2.96%
St. Louis (Mississippi) 3 1.78%
Memphis (Mississippi) 0 0%
New Orleans (Mississippi) 5 2.96%
Nashville (Cumberland) 7 4.14%
Jacksonville (St. Johns) 1 0.59%
Portland (Columbia) 5 2.96%
Sacramento (SacramentO) 2 1.18%
Omaha (Missouri) 3 1.78%
Indianapolis (Central Canal) 4 2.37%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would have to agree with a few of the previous posters re: Chicago River. Objectively, and experiencing the various cities, not sure how/why one would vote otherwise.

The Chicago River is now a bustling "avenue" that meanders right down the middle of the city, filled with tourist boats, taxi boats, kayaks, personal craft, etc., and lined with groundbreaking architecture and a new Riverwalk with dining, drinking and other attractions. It really is a pretty special place, and will evolve as developments continue. (That said, 10 years ago, it would have been a different story). The entire walk is bustling at the seams during lunch and just after work.

I think other interesting candidates would be San Antonio (the River Walk *is* charming). Milwaukee should also get a mention as they are beginning to incorporate the Wisconsin River more into the downtown fabric. Boston and DC also have nice riverfronts. I view Baltimore as more of a bay front.
I think though different cities have different uses for the rivers depending on the size. St Louis isn't going to have the cute little canal thing that Chicago or San Antionio has going on.

There really should be three categories, Commecial River frontage (Cincinnati, St Louis, NOLA, Philly), then small and large recreational rivers.

Because the Charles or Patomac is not going to be the same as the Chicago River or White River just in size alone. (Eg. good luck having a regatta on the Chicago river)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think though different cities have different uses for the rivers depending on the size. St Louis isn't going to have the cute little canal thing that Chicago or San Antionio has going on.

There really should be three categories, Commecial River frontage (Cincinnati, St Louis, NOLA, Philly), then small and large recreational rivers.

Because the Charles or Patomac is not going to be the same as the Chicago River or White River just in size alone. (Eg. good luck having a regatta on the Chicago river)
Not sure what you denote a .... Regatta -- the definition.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...nglish/regatta

- A regatta is a sports event consisting of races between yachts or other boats.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/regatta

- A regatta is an organized series of boat races. In a regatta, yachts or sailboats usually participate, but some regattas focus on rowboats or powerboats.
- In the 1650s, regatta related to a boat race among gondoliers, held on the Grand Canal in Venice.

So clearly ..... the Chicago river can host such events as YATCHTS clearly regularly are in the river outside of winters of course.
The draw-bridges at intervals ..... split and open for high masked yachts to pass as they then can enter the locks into Lake Michigan and visa versa.

They have Lake Michigan to race in. But clearly, the river has them going to docks as residences now line the river too and to just see the city and water taxis that go to Chinatown and into the lake.

Chicago river scene with yachts, draw bridges, Winery Café and skyscrapers canyon
Attached Thumbnails
Best downtown riverfront-kayaking-chicago-river-..jpg  

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 05:10 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
as OP, i would agree with fellow posters that my list was not inclusive...yes, i missed some. I would say that Miami was the biggest exclusion I made.

That might seem funny since the river walk capital of America is San Antonio...and justifiably so. But i consciously did not include it. the narrow SA River is not really a river front and the river itself is submerged below grade level so there is no interplay between it and the surrounding cityscape. Don't get me wrong: that is hardly a negative. In fact, it really is more of a positive: the river and the River Walk create their own world, atmosphere heightened by being visually removed from the city above.

Any doubts about that: check with Disney which works incredibly hard from Anaheim to Orlando to make sure that each setting in its themed parks is visually removed from other settings that don't relate to it.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

- A regatta is a sports event consisting of races between yachts or other boats.

- A regatta is an organized series of boat races. In a regatta, yachts or sailboats usually participate, but some regattas focus on rowboats or powerboats.
- In the 1650s, regatta related to a boat race among gondoliers, held on the Grand Canal in Venice.

So clearly ..... the Chicago river can host such events as YATCHTS clearly regularly are in the river outside of winters of course.
The draw-bridges at intervals ..... split and open for high masked yachts to pass as they then can enter the locks into Lake Michigan and visa versa.

They have Lake Michigan to race in. But clearly, the river has them going to docks as residences now line the river too and to just see the city and water taxis that go to Chinatown and into the lake.

Chicago river scene with yachts, draw bridges, Winery Café and skyscrapers canyon
Regatta
http://www.row2k.com/hocr/2017/image...h4Ma002-01.JPG

Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

They don't because they can't the river is neither wide nor long enough. You don't see Chicago having a head of the Charles like event because the River is entirely unsuited for such activities. The Charles River basin is 1/2 a mile wide at points. The Chicago River is 700 feet. They are fundamentally different.

And the Ohio at Louisville is a mile wide! They can't have that avenue feel to the River no matter what they do because it's massive.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They don't because they can't the river is neither wide nor long enough. You don't see Chicago having a head of the Charles like event because the River is entirely unsuited for such activities. The Charles River basin is 1/2 a mile wide at points. The Chicago River is 700 feet. They are fundamentally different.

And the Ohio at Louisville is a mile wide! They can't have that avenue feel to the River no matter what they do because it's massive.
Yeah, but the great thing about Chicago, is they can have that type of event requiring a lot of space... on their LAKEFRONT.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Yeah, but the great thing about Chicago, is they can have that type of event requiring a lot of space... on their LAKEFRONT.
Right, which is why there are seperate threads sbout citiy waterfronts.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
OP., could you please post photos of each waterway you have listed?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Surprised Pittsburgh is beating Boston by so much. I only visited Pittsburgh for a few days, but I remember thinking that the river water was kind of dirty and I don’t remember any recreational use of it.

In Boston you can rent kayaks and sailboats on the Charles, and the park along the river has a concert venue, a beer garden, and a nice network of footpaths and mini-canals.

Here’s a nice picture of the park in the fall:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/255772...-9kcucb-pkCkXq

Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Surprised Pittsburgh is beating Boston by so much. I only visited Pittsburgh for a few days, but I remember thinking that the river water was kind of dirty and I don’t remember any recreational use of it.

In Boston you can rent kayaks and sailboats on the Charles, and the park along the river has a concert venue, a beer garden, and a nice network of footpaths and mini-canals.

Here’s a nice picture of the park in the fall:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/255772...-9kcucb-pkCkXq
Pittsburgh's rivers are heavily used. Kayaking is very popular in Pittsburgh and you can rent the kayak's just across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is very popular for boaters and all sporting events and concerts at our riverfront stadia draw boaters that dock on the riverfront.

River water is not ocean water. The Monongahela River is brown in color but the Allegheny is more crisp. The two rivers mixing at Point State Park is amazing.

Pittsburgh's Three River's Trail System is a work in progress but is leaps and bounds ahead of most cities. Pittsburgh chose to use natural plants and trees. The city allowed these plants to fill in and to some it looks like weeds. The plant and trees along the trails are flood resistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City