Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
They are more urban
It is correct to say Cincinnati has a more built up urban environment, but it is not correct to say Cincinnati is better based on that alone. Ever go to Over-the-Rhine on a random Sunday or Tuesday afternoon?

Quote:
Louisville has better restaurants
Louisville does get a lot of respect for its restaurants.

Quote:
Better recreation and shopping.
Such as?

Quote:
Better neighborhoods with street activity outside the core.
Such as?

Quote:
the other two are better
Based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is correct to say Cincinnati has a more built up urban environment, but it is not correct to say Cincinnati is better based on that alone. Ever go to Over-the-Rhine on a random Sunday or Tuesday afternoon?
Yes, and Hyde Park Square, and Mt. Adams, and most of Cincinnati's 52 neighborhoods. Indianapolis can't match that, and no one said based on that alone.

Cincinnati - Neighborhoods

Quote:
Louisville does get a lot of respect for its restaurants.
Louisville is experiencing positive growth with several projects in the pipeline. Indianapolis is growing faster than Cincinnati and Louisville, especially for a Midwest city. Indianapolis has done a much better job at attracting new jobs with heavy focus on STEM. I often imagine what the city would be like if Purdue had it's main campus downtown in an urban format. Indianapolis also has the better infrastructure. Louisville and Cincinnati's roads and bridges are decaying badly. Indianapolis appears more run down looking and blighted than the other cities, however. Louisville and Indianapolis had less street activity downtown than Cincinnati, and also more vagrants/homeless people begging on street corners.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Yes, and Hyde Park Square, and Mt. Adams, and most of Cincinnati's 52 neighborhoods.

Louisville and Indianapolis had less street activity downtown than Cincinnati, and also more vagrants/homeless people begging on street corners.
Mt Adams is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the Midwest. One other thing you could have mentioned for a stronger argument is Findlay Market. Hyde Park is nice, but it is not regularly as vibrant as other areas of Cincinnati as you move away from that one block in the square. In addition, your comment that Indianapolis has less street activity downtown than Cincinnati calls into question just what you really know about the two cities. That is just not a true statement. Saying something on the internet does not make it fact.

Beyond that, you failed again to quantify any of your other claims in a meaningful way. They read more like a collection of buzzwords gleaned from the city v city forum.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Yes, and Hyde Park Square, and Mt. Adams, and most of Cincinnati's 52 neighborhoods. Indianapolis can't match that, and no one said based on that alone.

Indy has over 100 neighborhoods listed on wikipedia alone. Not sure what your point is. Indy is a city of neighborhoods. Perhaps more than half of them look and feel blighted, so you may not like that? A large swath of area east and north of downtown has undergone rapid gentrification as well, and select parts of south and west Indy. I can't compare to Cincy as I don't know it well, but just odd that you seem to be suggesting Indy doesn't have historic or somewhat walkable neighborhoods as that's pretty much the entire core city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
Thanks for the info, I could potentially go a little higher than 700. I see a lot on Zillow but really know nothing about the neighborhoods.
Yeah many of the stuff you see is, I am assuming, in the vast areas I would classify as borderline sketchy. But I don't really know them well, I just tend to focus on the trendy neighborhoods and the up-and-coming ones with potential to be trendy. There are likely many areas that are not trendy or up-and-coming but still adequately safe.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:

Louisville is experiencing positive growth with several projects in the pipeline. Indianapolis is growing faster than Cincinnati and Louisville, especially for a Midwest city. Indianapolis has done a much better job at attracting new jobs with heavy focus on STEM. I often imagine what the city would be like if Purdue had it's main campus downtown in an urban format. Indianapolis also has the better infrastructure. Louisville and Cincinnati's roads and bridges are decaying badly. Indianapolis appears more run down looking and blighted than the other cities, however. Louisville and Indianapolis had less street activity downtown than Cincinnati, and also more vagrants/homeless people begging on street corners.
I disagree about street activity. Big time. You caught Cincy on a good day and Louisville and Indy on slow ones.

Cincinnati FEELS like a bigger city because of older, narrower streets and less surface parking. But its downtown isnt much better than Indy or Louisville, and certainly isnt anymore vibrant outside pro sports events. It just FEELS that way due to narrow streets and urban canyons. I seriously doubt few here have spent as much time in each city in 4 seasons, day, and night, weekends and weekdays, as me. There are event nights in downtown Louisville, with multiple nodes of activity plus the convention center reopened, where downtown has as much foot traffic as Nashville, no exaggeration. There are also (increasingly rare) nights where its insanely quiet.

Indy has the most pedestian traffic downtown. I'd say Cincinnati has slightly more than Louisville but that's because its a bigger downtown...it's certainly not substantial. The homeless problem in Louisville and Indy became apparent in the last year as both had such rapid gentrification of neighborhoods on the edge of downtown that the homless got displaced....and both are essentially sanctuary cities. I've heard alot of Cincinnati's homeless have actually moved to Louisville via greyhound bus for this reason.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Indy has the most pedestian traffic downtown. I'd say Cincinnati has slightly more than Louisville but that's because its a bigger downtown...it's certainly not substantial. The homeless problem in Louisville and Indy became apparent in the last year as both had such rapid gentrification of neighborhoods on the edge of downtown that the homless got displaced....and both are essentially sanctuary cities. I've heard alot of Cincinnati's homeless have actually moved to Louisville via greyhound bus for this reason.
Indy has never been busy the times I was there. I have been twice during and after the Indy 500 and several concerts and it was mostly quaint. Louisville does not have a busy downtown by most metrics, as there is more going on in the neighborhoods. I recognize Louisville's development going on, so that will likely change things. I noticed Indy and Louisville are more welcoming to low income people than Cincinnati. In Cincinnati, people barely speak if you are not a part of a social circle. Louisville is the most friendly between the three. Although Louisville is in a different tier than the others, I think it more than makes up for it in its cultural offerings (art, museums, food, history, etc.)

Old 09-27-2018, 08:08 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
I would choose Cincinnati or Louisville. They are cleaner and safer cities. I feel like you would like them because they are more interesting.
I would agree with this, especially Cincinnati. IMO, a very underrated metro.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 AM

107 posts, read 209,871 times
I’ve always had some interest in Louisville and many other cities. The issue is the distance from family. 3.5 hours for Louisville isn’t THAT bad though. I’m just really in a pickle. I used to not care about being far from family but now that I’ve had this crisis I’ve realized how important it is. On the other hand I may not have a chance to move again any time soon and start over if everything indeed dissolves and I choose not to stay in St. Louis. Okay, you guys aren’t my therapists haha.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:53 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Indy has never been busy the times I was there. I have been twice during and after the Indy 500 and several concerts and it was mostly quaint. Louisville does not have a busy downtown by most metrics, as there is more going on in the neighborhoods. I recognize Louisville's development going on, so that will likely change things. I noticed Indy and Louisville are more welcoming to low income people than Cincinnati. In Cincinnati, people barely speak if you are not a part of a social circle. Louisville is the most friendly between the three. Although Louisville is in a different tier than the others, I think it more than makes up for it in its cultural offerings (art, museums, food, history, etc.)
Downtown Indy hasn't been quaint in quite some time. It has nearly 30,000 residents which is more residents than the combined downtown populations of Cincinnati and Louisville. In addition to the nearly 30,000 residents there is an estimated 91,000 people who are employed in downtown Indy. I would venture to say it busier than most cities of similar size.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Downtown Indy hasn't been quaint in quite some time. It has nearly 30,000 residents which is more residents than the combined downtown populations of Cincinnati and Louisville. In addition to the nearly 30,000 residents there is an estimated 91,000 people who are employed in downtown Indy. I would venture to say it busier than most cities of similar size.
We have been through this time and again. Indy inflates its downtown population by reporting areas several miles from the monument circle. There is absolutely NO WAY 30,000 people live within the mile square. Literally no way. You'd have to have 50 residential towers over 30 floors to get to that kind of density. And it only has two.

Cincinnati and Louisville roughly count their downtown only as the CBD, which are roughly a mile square from Fountain Square and 4SL, respectively. Also, while Cincinnati and Louisville may not have as much new construction downtown as Indy, they have lots of rehabbed buildings with residential. SO you may not realize that both those cities have residential on almost every block downtown. Two of Indy's largest residential developers are very active in Louisville. Many areas which most Louisvillians would consider downtown are not even close to being considered as part of the downtown population. A classic case in point is River Park Place, which currently has a tower crane up for a ten story residential tower and will have about 2,000 residents not even close to being counted as part of downtown. Also both Cincinnati and Louisville have urban populations across state lines which are effectively downtown but technically not. They are still downtown neighborhoods. Seriously come check out downtown Jeffersonville, IN on a warm night. You will be literally SHOCKED.

I am not debating Indy doesn't have the slightly busier downtown....it does because Indy put all its eggs in one basket. Cincinnati and Louisville are neighborhood cities. Why I think Indy is in trouble in its urban core long term compared to the other two is it will take decades to build the neighborhoods that Cincinnati and Louisville have. However, those two cities downtowns are getting VERY active, especially depending on events/conventions/concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City