Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Missouri 74 66.07%
Indiana 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

Indiana is generally speaking more densely populated throughout than is Missouri. To say StL and KC are surrounded by less country than is Indy is....well...wrong.

https://goo.gl/images/Pj7ULQ

Indiana is possibly the most underrated state in the nation. There is no State so large that has 3 neighbors that are larger....Michigan, Ohio and Illinois.....that's 30,000,000 plus neighbors condescending to Hoosierland....nobody bothers looking down on Missouri...it lords over Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, and southern Illinois.

The result is this poll.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:25 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Indiana is generally speaking more densely populated throughout than is Missouri. To say StL and KC are surrounded by less country than is Indy is....well...wrong.
St. Louis and Kansas City are more urban in the city and metro and that's not changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Indiana is possibly the most underrated state in the nation. There is no State so large that has 3 neighbors that are larger....Michigan, Ohio and Illinois.....that's 30,000,000 plus neighbors condescending to Hoosierland
Lol

Quote:
....nobody bothers looking down on Missouri...it lords over Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, and southern Illinois.

The result is this poll.....
The results show Indiana losing.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,947 times
The result of this poll? Does anybody actually take these things serious? There are twice as many MO cders than IN cders... Thats it! IN just doesn't have many forumers. It's not hard to see.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
nobody bothers looking down on Missouri...it lords over Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, and southern Illinois.
Hmm...what and the what now?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How so?

Old 12-15-2018, 04:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Yes, these poll results do.

However, Indiana has more people, and is growing slightly faster. Either the economy is better or more people prefer to move to Indiana, albeit by a very very close margin.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:17 PM

I grew up in Chicago and made the wise move to NWI 4 years ago. I grew up as a typical North Side Chicagoan...totally looking down on Indiana and its capital India-no-place. Well my opinion has changed quite a bit.

As I stated...I truly believe its one of the most underrated states....which Missouri is as well btw.

One example of underrating Indiana is the South Shore Line that extends all the way to South Bend...meaning 1,000,000 or so Hoosiers have access to a train that terminates under the Bean at Millenium Station.

Indianapolis is booming...Bloomington and West Lafayette are thriving...Fort Wayne and South Bend ar seeing very strong downtown revivals..Northwest Indiana cities like Valparaiso and Michigan City are becoming urban jewels...

Indiana is doing very very well actually. and is ridiculouly underrated. Thats beginning to change though.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 PM

70 posts, read 58,095 times
Went to school at Purdue. Had a GF in Indy that i'd visit often. Traveled around the state, east to west, north to south.

Lived in Missouri, been to most places except some of the northern half.

Without any shred of doubt, Missouri is the more interesting state compared to Indiana. The nature alone and the vastness of the Ozark geographical region arguably puts it into top 25 states of the US, in terms of nature and natural beauty. The crystal springs, riverways, flora and fauna, backwoods culture and rugged terrain of the ozarks combined with its geographic isolation and moderate climate give it (and arkansas) a very unique experience not found in hardly any other parts of the country.

Geographically speaking, no other states in the Midwest, a part from Northern Michigan or small parts of Wisconsin can compete with the Missouri scenery and natural experience. It's just a far far different version of "the outdoors" than anything I've seen in Indiana (or most of the midwest). Missouri and Arkansas have actual wild / rugged terrain starkly untouched, with scenes (apart from high peaks or tall mountains) that can pass as parts of Colorado or Appalachia. The Ozarks aren't 'mountains' per se, it's a large dissected plateau, but 100% rugged and rough country, along with the culture that surrounds it.

The southern half has most of its natural diversity (which is more synonymous with the South than any other midwest state), that hosts a wild array of flora like southern "bald cypress trees" and wild life like black bears, armadillos, tarantulas, salamanders, mountain lions (slowly making a comeback), feral pigs, even a species of jelly fish. There's also an intense network of underground caves, second only to Tennessee, that offer incredible (seriously incredible) spelunking and views.

The northern half, I'm not too familiar with, but does offer Americana history with towns like Hannibal -- which is the setting for Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

The southern half also hosts interesting towns and wineries along the Missouri river banks. Towns like Ste. Genevieve are very very old French towns, with some old people still speaking a Missouri dialect of French. Most have died out, but the history is definitely still rooted there. I had fun exploring around there, and learning about the diverse industries in the Mississippi valley region near Memphis.

Research some of the big blue springs of Shannon County Missouri and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not a booster by any means, but Missourians should feel proud of the natural beauty the state boasts, which is often kept on the down low in the public eye.

I'm a Californian, and previous expat for almost 10 years. Don't have many ties back to Missouri nowadays, but sure miss the nature there, given all the places I've been around the world. It's one of a kind and hope it doesn't change.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 AM

The Indiana Dunes have pretty much the greatest biodiversoty in North America.....and possibly have the worlds greatest view of a global skyline....just saying

Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Hmm. Indiana(the major cities) and the St. Louis area are both on my radar for relocation. I guess my questions would be:

-Which has less crazy weather?
-Which had better mass transit quality/value? I don't mean abundance of choo choos (light rail) but just better run overall?
-Which is better for a single black guy who is right leaning but isn't too religious?
-More importantly, which has the better job market in terms of blue collar stuff?
-Also as important, which has less of a crime problem(not just murder rate)?

Would prefer answers from folks who has lived in at least one of these 2.

Last edited by Marv95; 12-16-2018 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City