Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Missouri 74 66.07%
Indiana 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:36 AM

70 posts, read 58,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The Indiana Dunes have pretty much the greatest biodiversoty in North America.....and possibly have the worlds greatest view of a global skyline....just saying
You're kdding right? Or do you simply live in Delusiaville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytimmycocopuff View Post
You're kdding right? Or do you simply live in Delusiaville?

Ummm.....i Live a block from a National Park beach with stunning views of the Chicago skyline over 30 miles of freshwater gorgeousness. And google Indiana Dunes and biodiversity...educate yourself.

Here is a quote from the National Park Service website "The biological diversity within the national lakeshore is amongst the highest per unit area of all our national parks."

Old 12-16-2018, 05:38 PM

70 posts, read 58,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Ummm.....i Live a block from a National Park beach with stunning views of the Chicago skyline over 30 miles of freshwater gorgeousness. And google Indiana Dunes and biodiversity...educate yourself.

Here is a quote from the National Park Service website "The biological diversity within the national lakeshore is amongst the highest per unit area of all our national parks."
"I bow down to the amazingness of Indiana in all of the things. Lol. "

It's definitely a pretty place! Indiana should feel really fortunate to have that stretch of shoreline.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:36 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Went to school at Purdue. Had a GF in Indy that i'd visit often. Traveled around the state, east to west, north to south.

Lived in Missouri, been to most places except some of the northern half.

Without any shred of doubt, Missouri is the more interesting state compared to Indiana. The nature alone and the vastness of the Ozark geographical region arguably puts it into top 25 states of the US, in terms of nature and natural beauty. The crystal springs, riverways, flora and fauna, backwoods culture and rugged terrain of the ozarks combined with its geographic isolation and moderate climate give it (and arkansas) a very unique experience not found in hardly any other parts of the country.

Geographically speaking, no other states in the Midwest, a part from Northern Michigan or small parts of Wisconsin can compete with the Missouri scenery and natural experience. It's just a far far different version of "the outdoors" than anything I've seen in Indiana (or most of the midwest). Missouri and Arkansas have actual wild / rugged terrain starkly untouched, with scenes (apart from high peaks or tall mountains) that can pass as parts of Colorado or Appalachia. The Ozarks aren't 'mountains' per se, it's a large dissected plateau, but 100% rugged and rough country, along with the culture that surrounds it.

The southern half has most of its natural diversity (which is more synonymous with the South than any other midwest state), that hosts a wild array of flora like southern "bald cypress trees" and wild life like black bears, armadillos, tarantulas, salamanders, mountain lions (slowly making a comeback), feral pigs, even a species of jelly fish. There's also an intense network of underground caves, second only to Tennessee, that offer incredible (seriously incredible) spelunking and views.

The northern half, I'm not too familiar with, but does offer Americana history with towns like Hannibal -- which is the setting for Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

The southern half also hosts interesting towns and wineries along the Missouri river banks. Towns like Ste. Genevieve are very very old French towns, with some old people still speaking a Missouri dialect of French. Most have died out, but the history is definitely still rooted there. I had fun exploring around there, and learning about the diverse industries in the Mississippi valley region near Memphis.

Research some of the big blue springs of Shannon County Missouri and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not a booster by any means, but Missourians should feel proud of the natural beauty the state boasts, which is often kept on the down low in the public eye.

I'm a Californian, and previous expat for almost 10 years. Don't have many ties back to Missouri nowadays, but sure miss the nature there, given all the places I've been around the world. It's one of a kind and hope it doesn't change.
Excellent post!

This ^^ is what puts Missouri ahead for me. To get a comparable outdoor experience and warmer climate like Missouri you look at states like Tennessee or Arkansas or Virginia, but these states all have problems. Tennessee is mega Jesusland, Virginia's either DC burbs or rural south, and Arkansas doesn't have much of an economy. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the other states where you get both good QOL and outdoors, but I thought the population differences wouldn't be as fair of a comparison.

Northern Missouri looks decently scenic as well, as there's treed hills regularly to break up the farm scenery. Somewhere like Kirksville looks cool where you have a resivour and rolling forested hills right next to town.

Both of these states are underrated, that's why I made this comparison, to see which was more underrated .

Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Excellent post!

This ^^ is what puts Missouri ahead for me. To get a comparable outdoor experience and warmer climate like Missouri you look at states like Tennessee or Arkansas or Virginia, but these states all have problems. Tennessee is mega Jesusland, Virginia's either DC burbs or rural south, and Arkansas doesn't have much of an economy. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the other states where you get both good QOL and outdoors, but I thought the population differences wouldn't be as fair of a comparison.

Northern Missouri looks decently scenic as well, as there's treed hills regularly to break up the farm scenery. Somewhere like Kirksville looks cool where you have a resivour and rolling forested hills right next to town.

Both of these states are underrated, that's why I made this comparison, to see which was more underrated .
I agree. Missouri wins for me.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Went to school at Purdue. Had a GF in Indy that i'd visit often. Traveled around the state, east to west, north to south.

Lived in Missouri, been to most places except some of the northern half.

Without any shred of doubt, Missouri is the more interesting state compared to Indiana. The nature alone and the vastness of the Ozark geographical region arguably puts it into top 25 states of the US, in terms of nature and natural beauty. The crystal springs, riverways, flora and fauna, backwoods culture and rugged terrain of the ozarks combined with its geographic isolation and moderate climate give it (and arkansas) a very unique experience not found in hardly any other parts of the country.

Geographically speaking, no other states in the Midwest, a part from Northern Michigan or small parts of Wisconsin can compete with the Missouri scenery and natural experience. It's just a far far different version of "the outdoors" than anything I've seen in Indiana (or most of the midwest). Missouri and Arkansas have actual wild / rugged terrain starkly untouched, with scenes (apart from high peaks or tall mountains) that can pass as parts of Colorado or Appalachia. The Ozarks aren't 'mountains' per se, it's a large dissected plateau, but 100% rugged and rough country, along with the culture that surrounds it.

The southern half has most of its natural diversity (which is more synonymous with the South than any other midwest state), that hosts a wild array of flora like southern "bald cypress trees" and wild life like black bears, armadillos, tarantulas, salamanders, mountain lions (slowly making a comeback), feral pigs, even a species of jelly fish. There's also an intense network of underground caves, second only to Tennessee, that offer incredible (seriously incredible) spelunking and views.

The northern half, I'm not too familiar with, but does offer Americana history with towns like Hannibal -- which is the setting for Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

The southern half also hosts interesting towns and wineries along the Missouri river banks. Towns like Ste. Genevieve are very very old French towns, with some old people still speaking a Missouri dialect of French. Most have died out, but the history is definitely still rooted there. I had fun exploring around there, and learning about the diverse industries in the Mississippi valley region near Memphis.

Research some of the big blue springs of Shannon County Missouri and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not a booster by any means, but Missourians should feel proud of the natural beauty the state boasts, which is often kept on the down low in the public eye.

I'm a Californian, and previous expat for almost 10 years. Don't have many ties back to Missouri nowadays, but sure miss the nature there, given all the places I've been around the world. It's one of a kind and hope it doesn't change.
What can I say.... you make a lot of great points, but there are a few missed marks. Definitely deserving of a rep point though.

Spot on with the fauna descriptions and natural topography. I would even add the flora is quite remarkable as well in parts of southern Missouri. I first got into backpacking while living in Missouri, and the “great outdoors” is without a doubt more alive in MO than IN. However... there are two sides to the coin. You have more snakes, scorpions, and other venomous creatures in Missouri. And summers suck for outdoor stuff unless you are on a lake, while in Indiana hiking can actually be enjoyable in the summer.

I think you glossed over the fact that the most beautiful parts of the state are also the most impoverished, dogmatically religious, and closed-minded parts of the state. I always loved arriving at a trailhead, but always hated the areas around it. It is an area that appeals to a specific mentality which most people don’t find palatable. Great if you are a retiree open to that, not great for everyone else. Not saying Indiana is much better in comparable areas, but southern MO is certainly no Shangri-La.

I wish Missouri had an area like NW Arkansas which is actually somewhat normal. If Missouri had a Eureka Springs or a Fayetteville it would win for me hands down. Branson doesn’t cut it, at all. Southern MO is a nice place to visit, in the national/state parks, but for me, it would be an absolutely awful place to live.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I think both states are quite similar these days. I’m from Missouri so I’m familiar with some hidden gems of places to live if I ever move back. Missouri has a more interesting geology and history. Unfortunately, Missouri is crippled by the urban-rural divide which has a number of facets and manifestations that are quite ugly. I don’t know if Indiana has the same problem.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:47 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

I wish Missouri had an area like NW Arkansas which is actually somewhat normal. If Missouri had a Eureka Springs or a Fayetteville it would win for me hands down. Branson doesn’t cut it, at all. Southern MO is a nice place to visit, in the national/state parks, but for me, it would be an absolutely awful place to live.
So why not take up residence in metropolitan St. Louis or Kansas City and head southwest (from St. Louis) / south (from Kansas City) when you need your Ozarks fix? It's an easy drive from either city via Interstates 44 or 49, depending on which city you choose to live in.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:51 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Unfortunately, Missouri is crippled by the urban-rural divide which has a number of facets and manifestations that are quite ugly. I don’t know if Indiana has the same problem.
I know about Missouri's urban-rural divide, and it's not the only state that has one; I live in one that, like Missouri, not only has an urban/rural split but one between its two biggest cities. Indiana's biggest city is a little more conservative than most large cities, and its rural parts not as conservative as those in other parts of the country, so the split there is much less pronounced.

But I'm curious to hear your take on what those "ugly" manifestations of Missouri's urban/rural divide are.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:07 AM

333 posts, read 240,375 times
Neither of these are my favorite, but Ive always felt like Indiana was one of the most well run states in the country (IMO), so I'd probably take that.

Missouri has some cool cities, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City