Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs. Orlando
San Diego 92 80.00%
Orlando 23 20.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSun21 View Post
One of our highest priorities in finding a place to move was warmer weather and lots of sun.
This is not quite binary. SD will be warmer than Nashville in the winter, but cooler in the summer. Orlando will always be warmer than Nashville. Both are generally sunny. SD (esp coastal) will have more foggy/cloudy days and Orlando more rainy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
There’s no comparison between the two, especially if you want to be active outdoors. San Diego is worth every penny and then some in this regard.
Yeah, I'd say that the rental market is very fair value. Last I looked, there were still plenty of areas with easy access to both the city and the water where you can get a 2 bd for $2k.

Buying into SD is tougher than renting in SD based on everything I've seen.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM

18 posts, read 33,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
This is not quite binary. SD will be warmer than Nashville in the winter, but cooler in the summer. Orlando will always be warmer than Nashville. Both are generally sunny. SD (esp coastal) will have more foggy/cloudy days and Orlando more rainy days.
I looked at average number of sunny days and average annual* highs and lows compared to Nashville.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
San Diego is the much better option between the two based on your criteria if you can tolerate the cost of living. I would not have set this up as a poll, however, because you sort of block out recommendations that may be worth considering. Phoenix, Miami, and Los Angeles are also great options.
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll start researching Miami and LA more. Another poster brought them up as well.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
I'll agree this is not a fair comparison except for on a few very superficial levels like mid sized city within a few hours of a big city (LA for SD/Mia for Orl), but if warmer & sunnier are top priorities then Orlando, and it's significantly cheaper price tag, should at least be considered. If money is of no concern in this equation, then for most things you desire SD would be better.

Here's a couple videos to give you a different perspective of Orlando then you usually get.

This one is one of those cheesy promo videos that cities do but if you ignore that part you get a pretty good glimpse of the region. Paddleboarding, the beach, sports, sunrail, cultural events, and a few good shots of the town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdW-1ToLAw

And these guys are travel vloggers from San Diego actually and I love exploring my city through their lens. They definitely dive a lot deeper than most travel segments on Orlando, worth the 12 min of your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnKJ7TWbob4

Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'll agree this is not a fair comparison except for on a few very superficial levels like mid sized city within a few hours of a big city (LA for SD/Mia for Orl), but if warmer & sunnier are top priorities then Orlando, and it's significantly cheaper price tag, should at least be considered. If money is of no concern in this equation, then for most things you desire SD would be better.

Here's a couple videos to give you a different perspective of Orlando then you usually get.

This one is one of those cheesy promo videos that cities do but if you ignore that part you get a pretty good glimpse of the region. Paddleboarding, the beach, sports, sunrail, cultural events, and a few good shots of the town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdW-1ToLAw

And these guys are travel vloggers from San Diego actually and I love exploring my city through their lens. They definitely dive a lot deeper than most travel segments on Orlando, worth the 12 min of your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnKJ7TWbob4
ITA. I voted for Orlando, as it would give far more bang for your buck. It is consistently undervalued and misunderstood on this forum.

What $1.25M will buy you in one of San Diego's poshest neighborhoods:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...94_rect/11_zm/

What $1.25M will buy you in one of Orlando's poshest neighborhoods:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/12_zm/

Old 11-07-2018, 07:54 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
I voted Orlando. I travel extensively and rank metros. Everyone has what they personally value and what they're looking for. I lived in Orlando for a year and many people underrate Orlando, trust me. There are the theme parks (which we loved/loved). But there's much, MUCH more. It's a beautiful area and close to both coasts. Once you're north of the FL Tnnpk., it's away from the tourist areas and has some great neighborhoods, parks, and lots of lakes. We were never bored whatsoever and love the outdoors. San Diego is great and is my favorite city in CA., But you will get a good bit more bang for your buck (ESPECIALLY if you're buying a home eventually) in Orlando.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
One important factor the OP has not mentioned—while you are both CPA’s, will you have jobs lined up before moving to your new city?...some of the cities mentioned (San Diego, Miami) are expensive and not exactly the best job creating meccas unless you have a specific talent in a specific industry for which there is a limited number of high paying jobs.

I lived in San Diego and now Miami but built my wealth and brought my high paying tech job with the same bellwether company from elsewhere BEFORE moving to both of these cities. There are some whose life goal is achieved just by simply moving to a warm weather city, even if it means bartending or waiting tables for the rest of their lives or living paycheck to paycheck. Different strokes for different folks. At minimum, I personally would never move to a new city without a job or job offer in hand (but I’m not a bartender and especially to what many consider highly desirable warm weather cities in which people will accept lower wages—see “sun tax”)....you might also add Tampa to your list.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-08-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
One important factor the OP has not mentioned—while you are both CPA’s, will you have jobs lined up before moving to your new city?...some of the cities mentioned (San Diego, Miami) are expensive and not exactly the best job creating meccas unless you have a specific talent in a specific industry for which there is a limited number of high paying jobs.

I lived in San Diego and now Miami but built my wealth and brought my high paying tech job with the same bellwether company from elsewhere BEFORE moving to both of these cities. There are some whose life goal is achieved just by simply moving to a warm weather city, even if it means bartending or waiting tables for the rest of their lives or living paycheck to paycheck. Different strokes for different folks. At minimum, I personally would never move to a new city without a job or job offer in hand (but I’m not a bartender and especially to what many consider highly desirable warm weather cities in which people will accept lower wages—see “sun tax”)....you might also add Tampa to your list.
We would not move until at least one of us had a job lined up. I work for a large firm that I could transfer with to most major cities if I didn't want to change employers. We've definitely discussed Tampa as well, thanks for the suggestion! I honestly think California ticks more of our boxes and would be a better fit, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the financial sacrifices we would have to make vs Florida which ticks at least some of our boxes and would still be an improvement over our current location.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Depends on your budget. I've lived in Orlando and there's tons of things to do I was never bored living there, but the weather is better in SD, and you are in close proximity to mtns those are really the main things that set them apart. Orlando is very lush almost year round, and very colorful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City