Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 02:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Why many people don’t give Latin America/Miami much credence is the same reason people don’t give Canada and Mexico much credit when making a point of how global a U.S. city is. Canada and Mexico are located in close proximity/same region to U.S. cities just like Miami is to many points in Latin America.

What is different from a short flight to the Caribbean/Central America/Northern tier of the South American continent as opposed to a flight from Chicago to Canadian cities or San Francisco to numerous Mexican locales?

Miami is closer to more Latin American cities than it is to other cities in its own country. So “Global” pertaining to Miami/Latin America is as much regional more than “Global”
Latin America is huge. Miami may be closer to the Caribbean portion than it is to other parts of the US, but South America is huge. Chileans, Argentinians, Brazilians, Colombians are a long ways away from Miami, while Atlanta is only a 1hr and half flight away. This also doesn't speak as to why Miami attracts so many Europeans. Both tourist and residents. Or why Miami attracts Israelis. I'm sure if Miami were on the westcoast, it'd attract more Asians. Every city benefits from proximity to a degree. Northeast cities have a builtin advantage merely due to settlement history. We can talk about proximity and advantages all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 03:02 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWC Research Bulletin #23
Like all cities past and present, world cities provide services but contemporary advanced producer services (e.g. accounting, advertising, finance, insurance, and law applied in transnational contexts) are different; they constitute a leading edge of the world economy in their own right.
In other words, it's a measure of a city's concentration of FIRE, law and public relations jobs.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:03 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
HUh? your little LOL and link did nothing to address my challenge:

I challenge anyone here to name another city not named New York that is more profoundly linked to more countries and places in THIS hemisphere than Miami.

and since we're at it . according to you and some others, how did podunk resort town Miami manage to build the 3rd largest skyline in the US? Why here with all it's non importance and seriousness? Why not Atlanta or anywhere else for that matter? Do real estate investment dollars count? these are questions that have not been realistically addressed here and are often brushed off without real analysis.
Cocaine. lol!

Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,581,638 times
That’s the misperception many, such as yourself, have. Most of it has actually come from wealthy individuals—same people parking their money in NYC, London, etc. from mainly (not all) legitimate business ventures, be it from Europe, Canada, South America, Russia, and, recently, Turkey.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...state-now/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...s-buyers-study

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...s-buyers-study
https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...eturning-75472

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observe...ing-homes/amp/

Many wealthy people from high tax states in the US are relocating to Miami/SoFla as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...south-14610369

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....x-shelter/amp/

And for our Asian lovers who complained about the lack of direct connectivity from Miami, note the above Forbes article and upcoming direct Miami-Shanghai route....also, note below:

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2017/...wo-years-away/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Cocaine. lol!

Last edited by elchevere; 11-19-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,597,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You're posting evidence that it should be. If anything, don't use consulates as your defense, considering Miami has 11 NON-LATIN CONSULATES and only a handful of American cities -- most of them much older and more established -- have even 10 TOTAL.

And why are we even excluding Latin America anyway? Are they not a major part of the world?

Next, you'll post that it doesn't get cold in Canada, and use a picture of the Arctic North as evidence.
The evidence is that 11 is not nearly the amount of the top 5 have, Miami's non-Latin America consulate numbers are significantly lower than the others, the closest by my count is San Francisco at 28. After that it gets pretty bad for Miami comparing. It is more in line with Houston and Atlanta in that respect.

With that said Miami does better than a few of the top 5 within Latin America, and probably along with NYC has the best Latin America diversity in the world.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That’s the misperception many, such as yourself, have. Most of it has actually come from wealthy individuals—same people parking their money in NYC, London, etc. from legitimate business ventures, be it from Europe, Canada, South America, Russia, and, recently, Turkey ( not to mention US residents looking to relocate from high tax states).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...state-now/amp/

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida...eturning-75472

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observe...ing-homes/amp/

And for our Asian lovers who complained about the lack of direct connectivity from Miami, note the above Forbes article and upcoming direct Miami-Shanghai route....also, note below:

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2017/...wo-years-away/
No, its not a misperception. Miami exploded in the 80's because it was the center of the transnational cocaine trade. Even Pablo Escobar had a home in Miami.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 AM

Sorry, but today’s skyline and city does not remotely resemble that from 3 or 4 decades ago and has nothing at all to do with Pablo Escobar, El Chapo, or Jimmy Eight Ball.

The transformation since that time has been dramatic and has moved well beyond the drug trade. Last I checked, and I live here, Escobar didn’t build up Brickell, Brickell City Center, downtown, Edgewater, Midtown, Design District, Bal Harbour and the beach areas. Be like comparing today’s Chicago with the Al Capone era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, its not a misperception. Miami exploded in the 80's because it was the center of the transnational cocaine trade. Even Pablo Escobar had a home in Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-19-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 AM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Sorry, but today’s skyline and city does not remotely resemble that from 3 or 4 decades ago and has nothing at all to do with Pablo Escobar, El Chapo, or Jimmy Eight Ball.

The transformation since that time has been dramatic and has moved well beyond the drug trade. Last I checked, and I live here, Escobar didn’t build up Brickell, Brickell City Center, downtown, Edgewater, Midtown, Design District, Bal Harbour and the beach areas. Be like comparing today’s Chicago with the Al Capone era.
Miami's skyline exploded with a lot of residential development in the 1990s.

That turned out to be a local real estate bubble that burst. When I visited the city in the summer of 2008, a good number of those high-rise condo towers in Brickell, which had become Miami's second downtown (connected to the first by the MetroMover city-center elevated people mover), remained see-through structures.

They've been filled since then.

Were I to live there, I'd rather live on one of those artificial islands built to carry the Venetian Way Causeway, the first road linking Miami and Miami Beach, across Biscayne Bay.

I really don't get where these "Podunk" put-downs come from either. Miami swings with a beat you don't find in any other U.S. city, and Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine should have clued you all into that. Or maybe you're all too young to remember the TV series "Miami Vice." Just because the city began life as a tourist resort doesn't mean it can't grow up. It has, in spades.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,808,390 times
EVERY airport in the country will tout they're working on gaining new air service. Until a carrier makes a filing with DOT and the associated authorities in China, Shanghai to Miami non-stop flights are just a wish. Eventually Miami will get a non-stop flight to East Asia, most likely to one of American's One World Partners, ie JAL to Tokyo.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:39 AM

and since 2008 the new building has continued--Brickell Flatiron, Echo Brickell, Millicento, 4 separate SLS Brickell high rises, 1010 Brickell, Brickell House, Bond, Nine, Rise and Reach Brickell City Centre, 1000 Museum, Park Grove, Grove at Grand Bay, Marea, Peloro, Paramount, Biscayne Beach plus too many to name in Edgewater, Faena, Edition residences, Palau, Eden House, Fendi, Glass, Surf Club Four Seasons, One Ocean, etc. etc (leaving out at least a dozen new projects) with plans for even more new construction that just broke ground or will shortly--Aston Martin Residences, Una, Monad Terrace, etc.

Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Miami's skyline exploded with a lot of residential development in the 1990s.

That turned out to be a local real estate bubble that burst. When I visited the city in the summer of 2008, a good number of those high-rise condo towers in Brickell, which had become Miami's second downtown (connected to the first by the MetroMover city-center elevated people mover), remained see-through structures.

They've been filled since then.

Were I to live there, I'd rather live on one of those artificial islands built to carry the Venetian Way Causeway, the first road linking Miami and Miami Beach, across Biscayne Bay.

I really don't get where these "Podunk" put-downs come from either. Miami swings with a beat you don't find in any other U.S. city, and Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine should have clued you all into that. Or maybe you're all too young to remember the TV series "Miami Vice." Just because the city began life as a tourist resort doesn't mean it can't grow up. It has, in spades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City