Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
and since 2008 the new building has continued--Brickell Flatiron, Echo Brickell, Millicento, 4 separate SLS Brickell high rises, 1010 Brickell, Brickell House, Nine, Rise and Reach Brickell City Centre, 1000 Museum, Park Grove, Grove at Grand Bay, Paramount, too many to name in Edgewater, Faena, Edition residences, Palau, Eden House, Fendi, Glass, Surf Club Four Seasons, One Ocean, etc. etc (leaving out at least a dozen new projects) with plans for even more new construction that just broke ground or will shortly--Aston Martin Residences, Una, etc.

Haters gonna hate.
Aside from just residential, there have been quite a few additions of office and mix-use towers.

I really don't get the denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 AM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Good point...whereas retail and malls are failing in many US cities, Miami is defying odds with its opening of the high end Brickell City Center Mall—owned by the same family as Bal Harbour Shops, consistently at the top of all grossing malls in the entire country (Bal Harbour Shops will also be expanding).

Voters endorsed the David Beckham MLS Soccer Stadium.

Brightline (soon to be called Virgin, in a partnership with Richard Branson) high speed rail completed with further expansion planned. Other states have talked about similar high speed rail but still on the drawing board and only talk at this time.

Panorama the tallest residential building south of Manhattan on the East Coast. Same developer, Tibor Hollo, has plans to build an equally tall, or taller, condo project directly on Biscayne Bay.

Miami Worldcenter

None of these have anything to do with Pablo Escobar or Butch Cassidy (sarcasm) and are a reflection of Miami’s transformation from a sleepy, seasonal resort city to a year round, thriving global city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Aside from just residential, there have been quite a few additions of office and mix-use towers.

I really don't get the denial.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-19-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,295,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Sorry, but today’s skyline and city does not remotely resemble that from 3 or 4 decades ago and has nothing at all to do with Pablo Escobar, El Chapo, or Jimmy Eight Ball.

The transformation since that time has been dramatic and has moved well beyond the drug trade. Last I checked, and I live here, Escobar didn’t build up Brickell, Brickell City Center, downtown, Edgewater, Midtown, Design District, Bal Harbour and the beach areas. Be like comparing today’s Chicago with the Al Capone era.
Are you saying that Miami has grown faster in the last 30 years than Chicago has grown in the last 80?

I believe you that there has been a profound change in the last 30 years but there were cranes all over the Miami skyline back then and those buildings certainly still contribute quite a bit to how it looks today.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Huh??...how the hell did you connect those dots from my comment....I suggest you read ALL the factual links I have provided over the past page or two in response to your foolish statement that Miami’s skyline and development that continues today is the result of Pablo Escobar from 30-40 years ago. I will give you a chance to save face by admitting you exaggerated (or were joking about) something that took place back then in a completely different era and city but has nothing whatsoever to do with Miami’s growth and transformation this past century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Are you saying that Miami has grown faster in the last 30 years than Chicago has grown in the last 80?

I believe you that there has been a profound change in the last 30 years but there were cranes all over the Miami skyline back then and those buildings certainly still contribute quite a bit to how it looks today.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-19-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM

413 posts, read 324,233 times
LOL! The incessant Seattle and Portland boosters on here are probably noticing their heads explode while the rest of us laugh.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:51 AM

I am actually a big fan of Portland...love how they have transformed many parts of their DT while incorporating existing structures to give the impression residences have been around much longer than they actually have. No cookie cutter architecture here...also a phenomenal food and beverage city. Could not live there because of the weather/climate though, and fact it is not a major hub would make it more difficult for me to visit where I prefer to vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
LOL! The incessant Seattle and Portland boosters on here are probably noticing their heads explode while the rest of us laugh.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:34 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,232,838 times
Lies!!! Dallas is absolutely in line with Houston if not slightly above (Due to diversity of economy) Houston is still energy/oil heavy.

This list made more since a few years ago. Also no way Orlando is ahead of Raleigh/Durham, Kansas City or Vegas.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Lies!!! Dallas is absolutely in line with Houston if not slightly above (Due to diversity of economy) Houston is still energy/oil heavy.

This list made more since a few years ago. Also no way Orlando is ahead of Raleigh/Durham, Kansas City or Vegas.
Again, on an INTERNATIONAL/GLOBAL LEVEL. No way are Raleigh/Durham and KC ahead of or even close to Orlando globally. Not even close.

And I'm pretty sure energy/oil (in Houston's case) play MAJOR factors in its strength globally. No, Dallas is not in line with Houston.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,062,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Again, on an INTERNATIONAL/GLOBAL LEVEL. No way are Raleigh/Durham and KC ahead of or even close to Orlando globally. Not even close.

And I'm pretty sure energy/oil (in Houston's case) play MAJOR factors in its strength globally. No, Dallas is not in line with Houston.
Agreed. Houston is definitely a more globally important city. Being the center of the international oil industry and still a major player in the space industry cements that in my view. Dallas is a domestic behemoth, but not quite at that level imo.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,902,194 times
Heeey I got a chance to look over some of these Alpha City lists over the weekend, And MIAMI is NOT a Alpha City like the OP said it's a Alpha - (minus) and HOUSTON is not even Alpha AT ALL across Multiple Lists it's listed as a BETA + city ( Same as Dallas)

OP your List is BULL SHYT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City