Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
If you would have asked me 10 years ago, I would have said Nashville easily. As of 2019, I think Nashville is much bigger, but is it materially better in most ways? I am not so sure. Lots more entertainment options and restaurants (although Birmingham is pretty good on this front too); parks-wise, not sure, and in terms of job, Nashville has a somewhat stronger economy. But people exaggerate the size of Nashville greatly. It is an upper mid-tier Southern City.
When was the last time you visited Nashville?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I know people like to exaggerate Nashville's significance on this forum a lot but neither Dallas or Atlanta are really rivals of Nashville. Austin is and maybe Charlotte barely but Dallas has 7.5 million people and has one of the largest concentrations of fortune 500 companies in the country. Nashville is just getting to the 2 million mark. The notion that Nashville is a peer or rival of Dallas is ridiculous. Nashville is in the tier with Charlotte, Orlando, Austin, Raleigh-Durham combined, Columbus, and Las Vegas. It's not a peer of Atlanta and certainly not Dallas.
Agree here.... However, Nashville IS kinda a competitor with Dallas in this way...

I've lived in Uptown Dallas for 6 years now and there's a lot of moving between the two cities. They attract many of the same types of people. The average Uptown Dallas person has very high regards for Nashville. So if/when someone gets tired of the huge DFW life, there's a very good chance they'll move to Nashville (Denver/Chicago are close seconds).

People here don't really care much for Atlanta and I've literally been asked where Birmingham is several times.

Now, this is completely anecdotal but I'd say that Nashville punches way above it's size weight in attracting those kinds of people that spur a city forward. Young educated professionals. Where they are, things will happen and grow. Where they are not, things wither and die.

Last edited by bfmx1; 06-24-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Mitsubishi North America is moving its North American Headquarters from California to Nashville!! It's this kind of Boom that puts and keeps Nashville in a league way ahead of Birmingham.. This is starting to be a norm for the city! https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...ia/1549906001/

Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Absolutely love Nashville, but B-ham is a pretty great place too. Just not sure they're in the same category size wise.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Absolutely love Nashville, but B-ham is a pretty great place too. Just not sure they're in the same category size wise.
Yessir!

If Birmingham was an NBA Player, it would’ve won MIP. Total 180.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...obseekers-2019

10. Salt Lake City, UT
9. Washington, DC
8. Oklahoma City, OK
7. Milwaukee, WI
6. Minneapolis, MN
5. Nashville, TN
4. Birmingham, AL
3. Boston, MA
2. San Francisco, CA
1. San Jose, CA

Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Birmingham is a great place but Alabama needs to get it together. If Alabama would just try to be somewhat forward in politics Birmingham would catch on fire easily. The infrastructure is there, the location is spot on, the suburbs are as sophisticated as they get, you’ve got a growing dining and entertainment scene, and UAB and Samford are quality schools with UA being in the CSA. But I’ll be damned if Montgomery won’t let that city be great. The city has GOOD bones to become a good urban environment but the state politicians would rather this all go to waste.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Agree here.... However, Nashville IS kinda a competitor with Dallas in this way...

I've lived in Uptown Dallas for 6 years now and there's a lot of moving between the two cities. They attract many of the same types of people. The average Uptown Dallas person has very high regards for Nashville. So if/when someone gets tired of the huge DFW life, there's a very good chance they'll move to Nashville (Denver/Chicago are close seconds).

People here don't really care much for Atlanta and I've literally been asked where Birmingham is several times.

Now, this is completely anecdotal but I'd say that Nashville punches way above it's size weight in attracting those kinds of people that spur a city forward. Young educated professionals. Where they are, things will happen and grow. Where they are not, things wither and die.
There are very few Georgians that are fond of Texas and vice versa. Most of the moving between Georgia and Texas is either job or family related. That being said Dallas and Atlanta are more similar than they are different. I happen to share a love for both Nashville and Birmingham. They are BOTH great cities but one has a state that kind of gets the 21st Century and the other doesn’t.

Anyone asking where Birmingham is either not an American or dumb beyond belief. The city is not that irrelevant, especially considering it’s place in history. Something we should all be knowledgeable of.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Birmingham is a great place but Alabama needs to get it together. If Alabama would just try to be somewhat forward in politics Birmingham would catch on fire easily. The infrastructure is there, the location is spot on, the suburbs are as sophisticated as they get, you’ve got a growing dining and entertainment scene, and UAB and Samford are quality schools with UA being in the CSA. But I’ll be damned if Montgomery won’t let that city be great. The city has GOOD bones to become a good urban environment but the state politicians would rather this all go to waste.
The nice B'ham suburbs are majority Republican which is the case for most of Alabama. Not sure how Alabama politics is holding the state back.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Mitsubishi North America is moving its North American Headquarters from California to Nashville!! It's this kind of Boom that puts and keeps Nashville in a league way ahead of Birmingham.. This is starting to be a norm for the city! https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...ia/1549906001/
Pilot.com announced it will bring hundreds of new jobs to Nashville. Nashville continues to progress.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/pilot-com-...9d53eca12.html

Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 AM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Pilot.com announced it will bring hundreds of new jobs to Nashville. Nashville continues to progress.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/pilot-com-...9d53eca12.html
Also, Harrow Health pharmaceuticals announced yesterday it's moving its HQ from San Diego to Nashville.

As for pilot.com, here's what its CEO said about expanding to Nashville:

Pilot CEO Waseem Daher didn’t say why Pilot chose to not to grow in California, but did give plenty of reasons why Nashville was an attractive destination.

He said Pilot looked at several cities to house its account-management headquarters and Music City emerged as the clear winner due to its ability to attract talent, its educated workforce, burgeoning tech industry and business-friendly government policies.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill..._news_headline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City