Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 AM

367 posts, read 584,645 times

Advertisements

I'd pick one of the Nashville Suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffy515 View Post
Hi all! My husband and I and our young children are moving from California to...well we aren’t 100% sure yet. We really like the Nashville area and the Savannah area. We are middle twenties [of a]California nature! Anyways my question is, which city would be better for a family who didn’t like LA at all. Is Nashville too city like, is Savannah too boring? Which do or did you prefer! Any input would be very helpful. Thanks so much.

Nashville, hands down. Honestly, I will never understand people who don't know to distinguish large metro areas of 1 million-plus (Nashville, Charlotte) from far smaller ones of 390,000 (like Savannah or Tallahassee). A totally different world, with far fewer economic offerings in these smaller cities -- which have nowhere near the well-paying job opportunities and larger firms. I grew up in Savannah and am its loyal booster, but it's small and you will surely be bored there if you're considering dynamic places like Nashville or Charlotte. Forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Savannah is much quieter and more laid back, but with much less job opportunity. It is growing, but nowhere near "booming level." It has a very lazy river, spiritual vibe, but also has a lot of poverty, for a city its size. Savannah is beautiful in areas though.
Yes, Savannah lacks job opportunities, but sorry, Savannah is booming. Its metro population has enjoyed a high growth rate since the 2010 Census -- at 11.49%, it's higher than every metro area in Georgia including Atlanta (11.31%) according to US Census. Nashville's rate over the same period is 13.89%, but that's considered exceedingly high.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 12-20-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 06:19 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Nashville, hands down. Honestly, I will never understand people who don't know to distinguish large metro areas of 1 million-plus (Nashville, Charlotte) from far smaller ones of 390,000 (like Savannah or Tallahassee). A totally different world, with far fewer economic offerings in these smaller cities -- which have nowhere near the well-paying job opportunities and larger firms. I grew up in Savannah and am its loyal booster, but it's small and you will surely be bored there if you're considering dynamic places like Nashville or Charlotte. Forget it.
Did you read the OP?

Quote:
We hated living in LA. My husband doesn’t like cities that are too “city like” such as LA. We love the outdoors, and want to adopt and have a big family.
Based on their stated desires, why do you assume that the larger city is the default choice?
Savannah may be exactly what they're looking for.

-Relaxed
-Surrounded by nature
-Undeniably artsy

To the OP: There are a slew of talented photographers here in coastal Georgia, with an endless supply of subject matter (I'm an amateur photographer myself). Here's one of my favorites, my friend Jill Stuckey.

https://www.jillstuckey.com/

Old 12-20-2018, 06:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If you're coming from California and never spent much time in the South, I think Nashville would be a lot less culture shock for you and your family than Savannah. Savannah is in the Deep South.

Savannah is a relatively small metro. I think burn-out would be liable to set in not too long after moving there. For me, I think if I was going to live in that region of the Atlantic Coast, I'd go to Jacksonville.
What's this ominous "culture shock" that the OP should be so concerned about?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The shock of encountering genuine kindness and hospitality, I guess.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 PM

26 posts, read 31,276 times
Taking into consideration what you are looking for Savannah may be the better option. I'm not an authority on Savannah just visited once last summer but I was pretty impressed. There is a very laid back vibe and the historic core is pretty cool. Nashville is increasingly growing, increasingly becoming expensive, increasingly densifying.. If you are in Savannah and get bored I guess you could always may a wkd trip to Atlanta and if Nashville is to city heavy maybe consider Chattanooga down the street ? Good Luck.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:46 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Hi all! My husband and I and our young children are moving from California to...well we aren’t 100% sure yet. We really like the Nashville area and the Savannah area. We are middle twenties, not big on going out at night per say, and both grew up on the coast in California. We hated living in LA. My husband doesn’t like cities that are too “city like” such as LA. We live the outdoors, and want to adopt and have a big family. We are looking to buy a house wherever we go and start a business eventually. We are wanting to get out of California to buy because our quality of life here isn’t ideal and we work to live because everything is so expensive. We are both artsy type, photographers, and lean more on the easy going life. Probably our California nature! Anyways my question is, which city would be better for a family who didn’t like LA at all. Is Nashville too city like, is Savannah too boring? Which do or did you prefer! Any input would be very helpful. Thanks so much.
What is your budget?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Maybe you're not aware of it, but there are many people from outside the South who suffer culture shock after they move to the South. I think alot of them feel like outsiders. They are 2,000 miles from their home and family and it's different from what they been use to. Different demographics, the food's different, accents are different, moving to a small metro from a large metro will be a big adjustment, high humidity compared to California, and to be honest, there's some deep seeded hostility towards Yankees and Californians in the South, more so in the Deep South than the Upper South.

There's lots of reasons why people can experience culture shock. Why do you think there is no need for the OP to be concerned about it?

Old 12-21-2018, 04:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Nashville might be too much of what they're trying to get away from. If not yet, it's well on it's way to becoming that.
No, not monstrous like L.A., but it's already overpriced and traffic can be atrocious for a town its size.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Did you read the OP?

https://www.jillstuckey.com/
Moving from California ("our California nature", the OP said) to rather backward South Georgia? Sorry, Savannah's good aspects (and there are some) are not unlimited. I'm reminded how behind Georgia can be every time I come home for a visit. It's still a poor state. Nashville is a large city with national amenities, is much more diverse, doesn't have Savannah's grinding inequality, racial divide, limited job prospects, and high crime rate: (1) A jogger in Coffee Bluff is recently gunned down during a morning run. (2) After a heated argument with a companion, a shooter leaves City Market, jumps in his car to get away, and mows down pedestrians in the Historic District. This, in a county of 290,000. Savannah-Chatham's public schools are substandard, where it seems that one-quarter of students make the Honor Roll and where most middle-class white children attend private schools. Nashville has a better quality of life. Beaches and good mixed drinks don't seem like a tie-breaker for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City