Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,533,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Maybe you're not aware of it, but there are many people from outside the South who suffer culture shock after they move to the South. I think alot of them feel like outsiders. They are 2,000 miles from their home and family and it's different from what they been use to. Different demographics, the food's different, accents are different, moving to a small metro from a large metro will be a big adjustment, high humidity compared to California, and to be honest, there's some deep seeded hostility towards Yankees and Californians in the South, more so in the Deep South than the Upper South.

There's lots of reasons why people can experience culture shock. Why do you think there is no need for the OP to be concerned about it?
The first part of what you described was fair and accurate. BUT, your answer toward the end was what I was wondering about. Climate wouldn't have anything to do with "culture" shock. Moving 2k miles to a new area and/or going from a large to a small metro wouldn't be exclusive to the South. That will happen going to any region. So that's what impressed me to ask for clarification to see if stereotyping had anything to do with it. As a Southerner who has traveled for decades for work and personal leasure, I've had contact with thousands of people concerning these very types of issues. So, yes, I'm aware. We in the South have no problems with anyone from any other area of the nation migrating here. As long as a person isn't patronizing, a jerk, or disrespectful, we welcome anyone (and that would go for anyone moving from the South to another region, etc.). Where the problem most of the time comes in is when people come from the Northeast or CA fleeing the skyrocketing cost of living, they come here and bring with them the same policy mindsets that created the mess they are running from. We can see what happened when many Californian's moved to Seattle, Portland, and Denver (all 3 were pretty affordable 10-20 years ago). They have helped price the average person out of home ownership with skyrocketing costs of living. Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth are in the process of having that happen now. Nashville as well. So, if there are any "hostilities" of any significance, that would be it. Other than that, there are no more hostilities towards "outsiders" here than there would be anywhere else. The unfair and false impression you were giving is what I was wanting to get at. It's not fair to the OP to have false, urban legend-type regional stereotypes cloud their decision. And I know different people have different experiences when they travel or move to other places. But that can happen with anyone in any region. But, generally speaking, the South is very welcoming IF you respect us and not try to change the positive aspects of what brought you here to start with. I would never move to a new area and treat them like buffoons or other aspects of disrespect. No disrespect intended. Just wanted a fair clarification.

Last edited by march2; 12-21-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,114,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
We in the South have no problems with anyone from any other area of the nation migrating here. As long as a person isn't patronizing, a jerk, or disrespectful, we welcome anyone (and that would go for anyone moving from the South to another region, etc.
You're assuming this is the case with the OP, or are you conflating most non-southern new arrivals with arrogant jerks who criticize "southern living"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
They have helped price the average person out of home ownership with skyrocketing costs of living. Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth are in the process of having that happen now. Nashville as well..
That's to be expected. "They" are attracted to Austin, Nashville, Dallas, because these are large cities, more national than southern now, far more open-minded than, say, Montgomery or Fayetteville, have lower housing prices, and state/local taxes are lower (and services are weaker). These three cities are booming and desperately need transplants who are educated and productive. They don't have enough local job seekers with the skills they need. In some ways cities can be victims of their own success, but successful cities are not victims. They will have a higher cost of living, more traffic, and worse air than before though.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM

64 posts, read 69,570 times
I grew up in Savannah, spent my early twenties there professionally and did quite well. I now live in NYC and still visit frequently. I'm not sure what type of business you'd like to start, but I've seen many new businesses open in Savannah over the past 5-10 years. It really depends on what you're looking to do.

Savannah certainly has plenty of outdoor activities, especially relating to the water since it's on the coast. You say you'd like a big family, and housing is generally cheaper in Savannah, compared to Nashville, and especially LA. I'd recommend areas south of the historic district or areas around the islands, isle of hope, etc. I don't think Savannah is too boring. In terms of art, there are many galleries, Telfair Museums, SCAD, and other cultural offerings like the Savannah Music Festival, the symphony, jazz festival, music venues, etc.

I haven't spent too much time in Nashville, but it is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, and certainly isn't becoming less “city like.” Savannah is also growing. I was just down there, and was surprised by the amount of activity downtown and around the city. Savannah manages to have an urban quality, but of course is a smaller metro area with plenty of room to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City