Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cheapest City would you like to be located and do you know anything about these places? &#1285
Huntington WV 2 16.67%
Ashland KY 1 8.33%
PIkesville KY 0 0%
Paducah KY 1 8.33%
Jackson TN 1 8.33%
Dubuque IA 0 0%
Bloomington IL 2 16.67%
Springfield/ Branson MO 2 16.67%
Akron OH 0 0%
Toledo OH 0 0%
Fayetteville AR(getting pricier though) 3 25.00%
Rochester NY 1 8.33%
Saint Cloud MN 1 8.33%
Evansville IN 2 16.67%
Indianapolis IN 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times

Advertisements

Would you also consider the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati? Rents seem to be reasonable in towns like Covington, Newport, Dayton, and Bellevue, which are literally just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,190,811 times
I open to Indianapolis. Upstate NY is probably out. I once lived in Sioux falls South Dakota. Oddly though...apartment rents in Sioux falls are a thousand and up according to Craigslist these days. Rapid City is worse. the only places left on the west coast (thanks to The Californians) that are somewhat affordable is Pocatello Idaho and Idaho falls Idaho. I don't care about if a place has drug problems because that's everywhere. I figured the poorer the city or the poorer the town... The cheaper the rent and the more my money will stretch.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM

This is why I was looking at a couple places in Kentucky.... Because the are poor rural areas with cheap rent. Like I said I don't care if every citizen is on heroin... I just want affordable rent. It's a shame how expensive America is becoming... When a veteran like myself has to live in a poor area so they can afford to live. Seattle is now the fifth most expensive city in America. Average rents in Seattle or going for about $1500 and up for a studio or a small one bedroom. I've had no choice over the recent years but to rent a room in a house for $600 a month in Seattle. I'd like my own apartment. So if I gotta move to Pikeville Kentucky or to Jackson Tennessee I'll do it. I'm aware of Cookeville Tennessee being a retiree destination but I don't think it's that cheap there anymore. If I can get an apartment in around in Indianapolis for $600 I would consider it. but I'm sure Indianapolis is going to be getting more expensive quickly as other large cities are becoming. I'll research fort Wayne Indiana a little more to I once drove through there.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Yes I'm open to Covington Kentucky right near Cincinnati I've been always curious about that area. I use Craigslist a lot to determine apartment rent amounts. I'll have to take a look at the Covington area on Craigslist.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 AM

13,357 posts, read 39,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
This is why I was looking at a couple places in Kentucky.... Because the are poor rural areas with cheap rent. Like I said I don't care if every citizen is on heroin... I just want affordable rent. It's a shame how expensive America is becoming... When a veteran like myself has to live in a poor area so they can afford to live. Seattle is now the fifth most expensive city in America. Average rents in Seattle or going for about $1500 and up for a studio or a small one bedroom. I've had no choice over the recent years but to rent a room in a house for $600 a month in Seattle. I'd like my own apartment. So if I gotta move to Pikeville Kentucky or to Jackson Tennessee I'll do it. I'm aware of Cookeville Tennessee being a retiree destination but I don't think it's that cheap there anymore.
Didn't you say you want something less than $700? As long as you're not looking for granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, that is easily doable in Cookeville. My mother pays $700 for a beautiful 2BR in a converted 1940s bungalow downtown, and her neighbor's 1BR apartment is only $450 (utilities included).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
This is why I was looking at a couple places in Kentucky.... Because the are poor rural areas with cheap rent. Like I said I don't care if every citizen is on heroin... I just want affordable rent. It's a shame how expensive America is becoming... When a veteran like myself has to live in a poor area so they can afford to live. Seattle is now the fifth most expensive city in America. Average rents in Seattle or going for about $1500 and up for a studio or a small one bedroom. I've had no choice over the recent years but to rent a room in a house for $600 a month in Seattle. I'd like my own apartment. So if I gotta move to Pikeville Kentucky or to Jackson Tennessee I'll do it. I'm aware of Cookeville Tennessee being a retiree destination but I don't think it's that cheap there anymore. If I can get an apartment in around in Indianapolis for $600 I would consider it. but I'm sure Indianapolis is going to be getting more expensive quickly as other large cities are becoming. I'll research fort Wayne Indiana a little more to I once drove through there.
I mean if you want cheap rent, then Pikeville and Ashland and Huntington are okay. However, remember that with the heroin epidemic comes an increase in crime and blight. Assaults, robberies, burglaries, etc. are more common if people are desperate for money to buy heroin. That also means less social amenities since nobody has disposable income except to spend on heroin. There won't be as many social activities, restaurants, quality stores, etc. It's all your personal preference, and there are nice neighborhoods to be found in EVERY city. I just suggest you visit Eastern KY and WV before making such a drastic life change.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:23 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
I have been similarly researching and while I'm not a military veteran, also looking for a city that has lower rent averages in order to save more toward retirement. Of your list in my opinion the Midwest group of Bloomington-Normal, Akron and Toledo are probably the best options when factoring value of housing cost versus services, public safety and overall community amenities. Akron and Toledo are seen by some as rundown but that's a bit broad of a brushstroke as there are many nice neighborhoods in both though Bloomington-Normal tops the list in my opinion. It's a pretty clean metro area that is home to Illinois State University and corporate headquarters of State Farm Insurance.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Since you have Jackson TN on your list, I'm going to recommend you look at Cookeville TN. It's a much more attractive and much safer town than Jackson, and it's very popular with retirees. In addition, Cookeville has a VA clinic which, in addition to Tennessee's very favorable tax structure, has also made it popular with military retirees.

Compared to Seattle, groceries in Cookeville are 30.75% cheaper, housing is 67.51% cheaper, utilities are 19.94% cheaper, transportation is 34.78% cheaper, and healthcare is 27.97% cheaper (or basically free ifyou use the VA clinic).

Cost of living calculator

Cookeville is surrounded by beautiful countryside with over 100 waterfalls, 24 state parks, and 1200 miles of lakeshore within 40 minutes of town. Cookeville is also only an hour east of the Nashville airport which has nonstop flights back to Sea-Tac on 3 different airlines if you want to go back to visit or have friends who want to visit you. There's a fixed-route bus system in Cookeville (with a stop at the VA clinic) as well as door-to-door, on-demand minibus service for just $1 per ride. There's also an organization in Cookeville whose goal is to build 100 homes for veterans on land adjacent to a large city park and lake.
Off-topic. Reason: Cookeville is not part of the discussion. Lol .jk..I agree that Cookeville would be a great place for him as well.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:51 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,380,298 times
Spokane WA should probably be on the list.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have a population limit either way?

Here are some residential communities in Upstate NY(since Rochester is on the list): Our Apartments | Christopher Community

VA facilities: https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/s...TE=NY&dnum=ALL
Out of the places with housing on this site and that have VA facilities, Canandaigua would have a good combination of affordability, services and safety. This is a place listed on the site and its VA facility: Eighty Parrish Street - Canandaigua, NY | Rental Apartments in Canandaigua | Christopher Community
https://www.canandaigua.va.gov/

It is also on a Finger Lake and has enough shopping as well. https://www.downtowncanandaigua.com/
Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce - Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce, NY
https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...7_wel_rev1_iwd

If you want a little bit bigger, Syracuse has a very good VA Hospital in this area of the city: https://university-hill.com/
https://www.syracuse.va.gov/ and has similar housing nearby: McCarthy Manor
https://www.apartments.com/mccarthy-...se-ny/30zypxe/ There are similar types of housing in other parts of the city that are solid to very nice as well.

Also, say you can get into that apartment, you actually have this a couple of blocks away, if interested and while the VA Hospital isn't too far away as well: https://syracusestage.org/index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City