Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times

Advertisements

In SW Penna., I know plenty of people who have relocated to Charlotte. Some, like my cousin, relocated to Raleigh because of a better teaching opportunity. You see plenty of NC plates zoom by on I-77 to eventually I-79 as they head to their former homes not only in PA, but WV and OH too.

But 50 or so years ago, the reverse was happening. Many unemployed coal miners from southwest PA and northern and central WV relocated north to Akron.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
As a resident of NC from the northeast, I can see Raliegh lean more towards the i-95 cities like NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. Charlotte lean more I-84, i-81 cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc. being that Charlotte is further west while Raleigh is closer to the major east coast cities which make it ideal for those who have family up and down the coast while Charlotte suits those who live in the rust-belt cities further inland of NY and PA, and even some midwesters from Ohio and Michigan, people forget that midwesterners move to NC as well. I-77 begins around Cleveland Ohio so they have direct access to Charlotte as well.
again it does not

Most of Atlanta and Charlotte transplants also comes from northeast and they factually get more NE transplants than Raleigh......

http://i.imgur.com/XKrN3Ye.jpg

Raliegh to Birmingham is almost continuous CSA border each other. Between Raleigh and Charlotte is another NC CSA of a million people The Traid region of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Past Charlotte between Charlotte and Georgia is an SC CSA of over a million people the Greenville upstate SC area.

What I'm noticing in this threads some posters are trying to make it seem that Raleigh is more connect to Northeast which is false, it's more connected to the other Piedmont cities. Then try to back that claim by stating it get more NE transplants which is also false Charlotte gets more. Charlotte maybe more known for banking and Raleigh Tech but Charlotte in general is a larger Metro with a diverse economy that reaches in more areas than Raleigh that is why Charlotte has more Northeast transplants.

What posters are trying to do is pull the Miami Card, basically posters would insult the south by saying Miami is too cosmopolitan to fit there limited stereotype of what they think the south is.

Posters in another thread are trying to describe NC as midatlantic which is hilarious it's the South Atlantic. Now posters are trying to say Raleigh is more influence by north east but oh Charlotte is like Atlanta tho, again funny because Atlanta and Charlotte have more northeast transplant the whole premise on the argument is off. Raleigh is not exception to the southeast it's directing following the larger pattern on the Piedmont region.

My assumption is there maybe some Raleigh transplants who are not accepting of Raleigh southern identity, but don't realize the particular region the Piedmont corridor, "The New South" is already with in a region of cities that challenging and redefining what southern is.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:05 PM

617 posts, read 552,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
again it does not

Most of Atlanta and Charlotte transplants also comes from northeast and they factually get more NE transplants than Raleigh......

Raliegh to Birmingham is almost continuous CSA border each other. Between Raleigh and Charlotte is another NC CSA of a million people The Traid region of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Past Charlotte between Charlotte and Georgia is an SC CSA of over a million people the Greenville upstate SC area.

What I'm noticing in this threads some posters are trying to make it seem that Raleigh is more connect to Northeast which is false, it's more connected to the other Piedmont cities. Then try to back that claim by stating it get more NE transplants which is also false Charlotte gets more. Charlotte maybe more known for banking and Raleigh Tech but Charlotte in general is a larger Metro with a diverse economy that reaches in more areas than Raleigh that is why Charlotte has more Northeast transplants.

What posters are trying to do is pull the Miami Card, basically posters would insult the south by saying Miami is too cosmopolitan to fit there limited stereotype of what they think the south is.

Posters in another thread are trying to describe NC as midatlantic which is hilarious it's the South Atlantic. Now posters are trying to say Raleigh is more influence by north east but oh Charlotte is like Atlanta tho, again funny because Atlanta and Charlotte have more northeast transplant the whole premise on the argument is off. Raleigh is not exception to the southeast it's directing following the larger pattern on the Piedmont region.

My assumption is there maybe some Raleigh transplants who are not accepting of Raleigh southern identity, but don't realize the particular region the Piedmont corridor, "The New South" is already with in a region of cities that challenging and redefining what southern is.
Facts

Old 12-22-2018, 03:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
again it does not

I think what others are saying is that Raleigh gets proportionately more transplants from the NE than Charlotte and Atlanta. The Triangle is a bit different than those two in that its current population boom is really the only one it has ever experienced. Compare that to Charlotte and Atlanta that had prewar population booms related to the railroads, textile industry, etc and then as logistics/transportation hubs before their current booms as strong corporate centers. Durham had a legacy industry in tobacco but Raleigh wasn't particularly strong in any of NC's legacy industries (textiles, tobacco, furniture, etc) so it wasn't as much of a larger regional city that was able to attract migrants from beyond rural eastern NC. Charlotte and Atlanta most certainly did achieve that status so they have historically attracted lots of folks in their larger surrounding regions in addition to transplants from outside the region. The Triangle's history as a magnet for transplants pretty much begins with IBM locating jobs at RTP and moving lots of Northerners there in the 70s or 80s I believe.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I don't really think Charlotte and the Triangle are going to "pull apart more and more culturally" over time at all. The Triangle will continue to expand its tech presence for sure, and Charlotte will certainly do that same; as a matter of fact, it's already doing just that. At the same time, the Triangle will also become more corporate, landing more F500 headquarters like Advanced Auto Parts which is moving to Raleigh from VA. In terms of urban development, you'll definitely start to see downtown Raleigh take more cues from uptown Charlotte as it becomes more of a destination with big city amenities. Both will retain their distinctive flavors for sure, but more growth over time will result in increasingly similar vibes IMO.
It will be fun to see in 10 years the dynamic between the two and NC as a state.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:23 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
My view as a complete outsider to NC and never having been there - so solely a 'reputation' based view - is that Charlotte is a fairly generic corporate city with an AA hub airport. Hard to think of anything notable about it beyond that.

Meanwhile when I think of Raleigh I think of the Triangle of course...and Northern transplants making it politically as left-leaning as any city in the Northeast, also tons of new development which ironically creates the sprawl many politically left-leaning people don't like.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I think what others are saying is that Raleigh gets proportionately more transplants from the NE than Charlotte and Atlanta. The Triangle is a bit different than those two in that its current population boom is really the only one it has ever experienced. Compare that to Charlotte and Atlanta that had prewar population booms related to the railroads, textile industry, etc and then as logistics/transportation hubs before their current booms as strong corporate centers. Durham had a legacy industry in tobacco but Raleigh wasn't particularly strong in any of NC's legacy industries (textiles, tobacco, furniture, etc) so it wasn't as much of a larger regional city that was able to attract migrants from beyond rural eastern NC. Charlotte and Atlanta most certainly did achieve that status so they have historically attracted lots of folks in their larger surrounding regions in addition to transplants from outside the region. The Triangle's history as a magnet for transplants pretty much begins with IBM locating jobs at RTP and moving lots of Northerners there in the 70s or 80s I believe.
I see can see the point thats it's more proportionately transplants from the NE than Charlotte and Atlanta because it's younger and smaller. but it actually has a smaller amount of NE transplants then either of the cities.

You would call them "legacy" now, but they birth as changing guard in the south, So actually Raleigh is only at the young end of the new south movement on the Piedmont that started after the civil war. For Raleigh not be include in this group would be saying its the changing guard against the changing guard.

All these cities have different histories and different niche industry that cause them to initially grow, for the fact Raleigh found it's own path and now is one of the fastest growing metros only echo what larger Piedmont region is doing. by all means I'm not saying these cities are monolithic but rather they do have regional ties similarities and as well differences that make them their own. I sorta see Raleigh as the Piedmont corridor's Boston, Oblivious I'm ignoring history but looking at education and tech, as well as both being at the trail end of there corridors it sort of make sense.

As I stated the new south idea was used to promote that Southern cities can evolved, on city data there an issue of not accepting the South can be cosmopolitan, The Northeast can be cosmopolitan, The West Coast can be cosmopolitan, and the Midwest sure, but the south? No... So instead of saying if a city becomes more cosmopolitan it's redefining what the south is, On city data it would be argue the place is becoming less southern in which makes no sense.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
My view as a complete outsider to NC and never having been there - so solely a 'reputation' based view - is that Charlotte is a fairly generic corporate city with an AA hub airport. Hard to think of anything notable about it beyond that.

Meanwhile when I think of Raleigh I think of the Triangle of course...and Northern transplants making it politically as left-leaning as any city in the Northeast, also tons of new development which ironically creates the sprawl many politically left-leaning people don't like.
The bottom highlight my point, both Atlanta and Charlotte are both left leaning areas, both have significant transplants from NE both literally more than Raleigh. Raleigh does have things that stick out about the city but those point doesn't. if anything is generic those would be generic points that larger Piedmont cities would have in common.

Maybe because Charlotte is the larger city and more established people have more to attach to them, but Raleigh being newer a major city people are just stating generic Piedmont regional troopes.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

Not that Raleigh is such a bastion of conservatism, but I find it interesting that it has this uber-liberal reputation for some folks outside the region. I suppose that's a function of Raleigh being the region's largest city even though Durham/Chapel Hill are actually the more liberal cities of the region. The dynamic in the Triangle is truly interesting as the Durham/Chapel Hill side (which is technically its own MSA) has most of the institutions the region is known for (most of RTP, Duke, UNC) and Durham has arguably had a better downtown than Raleigh (Raleigh is rapidly improving its downtown these days), yet most of the region's growth and economic development outside of RTP has gone to Raleigh/Wake County. And this is actually due to the more liberal Durham/Chapel Hill having had a more managed approach to growth whereas Raleigh/Wake County historically didn't.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-22-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 06:38 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Not that Raleigh is such a bastion of conservatism, but I find it interesting that it has this uber-liberal reputation for some folks outside the region. I suppose that's a function of Raleigh being the region's largest city even though Durham/Chapel Hill are actually the more liberal cities of the region. The dynamic in the Triangle is truly interesting as the Durham/Chapel Hill side (which is technically its own MSA) has most of the institutions the region is known for (most of RTP, Duke, UNC) and Durham has arguably had a better downtown than Raleigh (Raleigh is rapidly improving its downtown these days), yet most of the region's growth and economic development outside of RTP has gone to Raleigh/Wake County. And this is actually due to the more liberal Durham/Chapel Hill having had a more managed approach to growth whereas Raleigh/Wake County historically didn't.
I think most people outside of NC mean the triangle when referencing Raleigh. I sure do.. also the liberal thing is probably due to the very educated populace and their stronger then average folks connections to others like them in other major cities. Raleigh seems to have a higher profile then Charlotte in alot of circles and it's the "circles" that tend to generate the "cool" factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.