Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Difference?
That's why i said he had it backwards. Homicides is what law enforcement count not murder. Justified killing, police killing, manslaughter all can be define as murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 02:53 AM

242 posts, read 174,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Drill was defenitely influenced by Trap as every genre is influenced to a degree but it's unique with the beats, videos, lyrical content, lingo, fashion and absolute violent culture. Drill has influened many rappers and taken over Brooklyn got NY switchin' the game all up. All kind of rappers bringing out the guns in videos, throwing up the gang, got the squad in the back talking 'bout the opps, catchin you lackin, smokin a pack, thots, and on and on. These Drillers weren't trying to be like Wacka and Gucci. That is how Chicago's been gettin down for ever. They ain't out killing and dying in Trap or any other scene point blank n period. In Chicago's history real gangsters didn't rap, they were seen as Goofy's and Neutrons that hung around gangs rapped but this is the first generation of street dudes rappin' so who knows what the next generation will elevate it to.

Drill didn't make the culture, the culture made Drill broski. This is how the city been gettin' down forever. The music is dark and graphic street talk about murder, guns, robberies, head-shots, smokin' on the opps etc. and not in any general terms. They're saying names, times and locations by dudes that actually are out doing what they rap about everyday and the long list of victims and murderes are there for you to see...They call out other rappers and their homies by name and talk about dead homies with ruthless disses talking all kinda shit and speak on specific details of murder scenes and shootings. They mock 'em and laugh about homies being killed. They straight call out their girls, mothers, kids, etc. etc. nothing is off limits. "F-ck Yo Homie He Dead" was the biggest line in Chicago for months with every set remixing it and the songs mention damn near every opp member that got killed and the circumstances. That's next level where only Drill will take it.

Now what would real gangsters do if you shot at them, killed a brother, threw down their set, dissed their dead homies and the whole 9? Now imagine you got dudes doing all that in songs and videos for millions to see. You better believe there's gonna be that get back and they all do it. The fact that it's on camera many times doesn't mean that it's not real street beef these boys are just that savage to give 0 Fcks to act and speak on what they do in public. Look at how many notable people in Chicago been killed on camera and no arrests were ever made. Some dudes pulled up on a mother holding her baby and got out of the car and emptied the clips on everybody standing by the street. They knew damn well there was a cop in a box on the pole filming and didn't care.

Lil Reese got jumped on live then made posts about that get back and a week later a dude from 079 was shot 3 times and Reese made the posts of pictures with one of the guys on crutches. That shows they self implicate and don't care who's watching.

I'll give you a perfect Drill/Chicago gang example, Young Pappy was a very talented G.D. rapper that got millions of views and woulda blown up for real. He made a song called "Shootas" making fun of the opps saying they can't shoot cause they tried killing him twice and killed 3 other innocent people trying to get him. So they finally walked up on him and shot him in the head 2 weeks after the song came out. Then his opps made videos talking about they "learned how to shoot" straight up dissin and implicating. 2 months later Pappy's friend/gang member and rapper Lil Shawn killed a dude in retaliation and is doing 55 years for murder. Their squad P.B.G. is the ones that kidnapped the white kid from the suburbs and duct taped him up, tortured him and put his head in the toilet all on live. That's the culture you're dealing with in Chicago. Young wild ass kids that are keeping score of opp packs in public and cameras ain't stopping that smoke when it kicks off.

These are rappers with names like Lil Durk and King Von that shot a guy on camera and robbed him in Atlanta. Pappy was gonna be a star, so was L.A. Capone, Rondo, Lil Marc, Wooski, Lil Jay, Jo-Jo etc. etc. and their songs get millions of views and were 69 and Bobby Shmurda's heroes. The dudes with the brightest futures are the ones that were still out bangin' the hardest. FBG Duck is still in the hood and lost his brother Brick, his best friend Tooka his homie Can'tgetright, he lost Dooski and Wooski is never gonna be the same from a head shot. He's got a few hit songs making major releases with probbaly close to or over a mil but is still in Chicago with the gang. Chicago's just different with the rap shit. These wars been going in the streets for decades and the rappers are living it out in the open, it's much bigger than "likes"..

L.A did all that 30 years ago with the banging on wax era...

Eazy E was doing videos and interviews with his Ak-47 assault rifle...

Bloods and CRIPS dissed each other dead homies in videos for years but it wasn't viral because social media wasn't out then...All we had was the Box and MTV lol...

MTV for damn sure wasn't showing those videos but those that know rap history will tell you DJ quik was banging gang raps back in 1987 ...

I take my hat off to Drill but they was influenced by that Atlanta trap scene.....Gucci and Wayne was the poster boys for all that type of **** and really to be honest,Master P and No limit was on that wild thing **** in videos before Chicago too....

P would have 100 goons with no shirt in the projects thugging it up....

Chicago drill didn't do nothing new except show it through the social media

Old 08-16-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
lol look at every decade going back a hundred years. what about this decade or the 2,000s LA isn't as bad as Chicago and it won't ever be. there was the crack epidemic and LA saw a high murder rate for a decade or so. that's it. Chicago remains dangerous with a very high murder rate decade after decade for a century. you bring up one or two decades that were a fluke because of some drug that was introduced to that time period. list both cities homicides every decade including this one and it's clear what city is historically more violent with a consistently high murder rate going back to the 19th century. I mean LA has like 250 homicides a year and a population of what 4 million? LA won't ever see its murder rate that high again unless some new drug like crack takes over.

Go back 200 years and L.A was worse than Chicago in the wild west area also...you want proof ???

But there's really no need to post articles about that,

I think we all agree, Chicago was worse over a longer period of time but we talking peak for peak, L.A put up numbers Chicago never seen in it's entire history...

No need to get in your feelings when you can just look at the factual stats...

L.A not as bad today because of the strict gang injunctions that Chicago doesn't have... Ain't no hanging out in L.A more than 2 deep without the Sheriff's pulling up with the gang unit...Sherriff's patrol L.A street's if you didn't know...Plus we have the highest incarceration system in America.

Take that into account that Los Angeles gangs are damn near now in every city in America and you'll see why it has way more of an impact on gang culture than Chicago by far.

Don't take it wrong,I'm just saying no decade in Chicago history was worse than L.A worse decade.

You bringing up crack as the reason ? Negative

L.A started hitting 700 murders around 1977/78 and in 1980 it out up over 1000+ murders with a lesser population than Chicago at that time and this all before crack cocaine.

I bet if a compare Los Angeles to Chicago from 1977 - 2007, I can almost guarantee Los Angeles had more murders and I'm not even including our surrounding areas like Compton and East L.A

Old 08-16-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
D.C homicides: 482 / 443 ( Black victims/ 92% average)
D.C Black pop: 393K
D.C Black rate: 112 per 100K

Main source: Crime of D.C Wikipedia. Additionally D.C police report that stated the average plus pie chart

L.A homicide : 1,092 / 438 ( Black victims / 40%*)

* I've been searching diligently for that percentages and most of the focus on the riots. Lapd reports back then didn't state the number of victims by ethnicity. I have found 36% of the homicides to be gang related with largest increase from hispanic gangs during the 90s. I used the L.A times reports back from 2000-03 to see a percentage pattern ( 38%). The pattern most likely was similar during 90s but added 2 points for margins.

L.A Black pop: 485K
L.A Black rate: 90 per 100K

Peace.
L.A all time black murder rate was 368 per 100k

Homicides hit a record number in 1980, then surged again in the early 1990s. The statistics are staggering: in 1992, black men in their 20s in Los Angeles Country were killed at a rate 30 times the national average: 304 deaths per 100,000 people. In 1993 things got worse: black men aged 20 to 24 died by homicide at a rate of 368 per 100,000, which Leovy points out was “40 times the national average and almost exactly the per capita rate of US soldiers deployed to Iraq in the aftermath of the 2003 invasion.â€

https://daily.jstor.org/ghettoside/

Old 08-16-2019, 03:26 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Wait I'm confused. I've seen people on r/philadelphia and r/boston talking about heyjackass. But typing heyjackass Philadelphia just directs to the Chicago page. Funnily enough I could've sworn Ive actually been on a Philly heyjackass page. Maybe not? Is this really only documentation of Chicago crime?, because Chicago isn't anywhere near being the most dangerous city in the US. Not even the most dangerous big city.

Also in the 2016 commentary I found this

"2017 isn’t looking much better than 2016. In fact, we believe it’ll be worse as the CPD will continue to stay fetal and let the Strategic Subject List(ed) jagoffs ventilate one another. 850 homicides with an additional 3850 shot and wounded very well may be the tally come December 31st, 2017."

How could anyone possibly think Chicago could ever reach 850 homicides again? Sure 762 was unprecedented, but obviously when a spike that high happens, the next year will inevitably be better, and it has in fact only gotten better each year and will continue with that trend.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
LA was do to crack epidemic. how many murders did LA county have last year. LA had a 20 year run. that's it? Chicago has had am elevated murder rate for over a century. they're not the same. once again how many murders did LA have last year amd how many did LA by itself? I don't care about how many murders a city had due to a drug taking over. fact is Chicago's murder rate has been consistently higher over the course of a century. and as of today is still high. the crack epidemic is over amd so is LA's high murder rate
Chicago didn't have a high murder rate because of some drug. look up last year in LA there were only 243? that's it? LA hasn't hit 300 in a decade. the cities aren't the same Chicago dates back to the 1800's.
Dude L.A County is historically more dangerous than the entire state of Illinois with 2/3 million less population

State of Illinois population in the 90's = 12 million
90 : 1,182
91 : 1,300
92 :1,322
93 : 1,322
94 : 1,378
95 : 1,221
96 : 1,179
97 : 1,096
98 : 1,008
99 : 939

Illinois Crime Rates

Illinois Crime Rates 1960 - 2016

Los Angeles County population in the 90's = 8 million
90 : 2,373
91 : 2,401
92 : 2,589
93 : 1,944
94 : 1,669
95: 1,682
96 : 1,389
97 : 1,176
98 : 959
99 : 891

Illinois state total homicides in the 90's w 12 million = 11,957

L.A County total homicides in the 90's w 8 million = 17,073

Here's a highlight for you !!!!

L.A COUNTY IN 1992 PRODUCED
2,589 MURDERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S MORE THAN 6 MIDWEST STATES COMBINED WITH 2,557 MURDERS

ILLINOIS
NORTH DAKOTA
MISSOURI
WISCONSIN
INDIANA
SOUTH DAKOTA

Old 08-16-2019, 03:31 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
L.A all time black murder rate was 368 per 100k

Homicides hit a record number in 1980, then surged again in the early 1990s. The statistics are staggering: in 1992, black men in their 20s in Los Angeles Country were killed at a rate 30 times the national average: 304 deaths per 100,000 people. In 1993 things got worse: black men aged 20 to 24 died by homicide at a rate of 368 per 100,000, which Leovy points out was “40 times the national average and almost exactly the per capita rate of US soldiers deployed to Iraq in the aftermath of the 2003 invasion.â€

https://daily.jstor.org/ghettoside/
1. You misquoted the link.
2. Go here or elsewhere with all that L.A v Chi rants: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-90s-111.html

Old 08-16-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Please share your PDF and make certainly it's city proper & not county. The population of Black in 1990 was 14% which is 487,955. So it's least likely to drop that much in 2 years.
It's funny you say that because Chicago city black population is comparable to L.A County black population

So that pretty much even things out for you.

But this topic is old, Let's move on"

Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
1. You misquoted the link.
2. Go here or elsewhere with all that L.A v Chi rants: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-90s-111.html
The link isn't misquoted,When you read the article you'll see the all time murder rate ...

But I agree, Let's move on !!!

Old 08-16-2019, 08:03 AM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I didn't Google anything, I grew up in Chicago, all this is history handed down. We all know major incidents that happened in those projects. My dad was a Titanic Stone/El Rukn from 63rd and Cottage back in the 70's & 80's and my Aunt was a secretary for the nation. Chief Malik had Woodlawn on lock and police didn't have any weight there for years cause Stones self policed the neighborhood. CPD rarely even bothered patroling many of the blocks and it wasn't any irregular occurence to shoot at them when they interviened.

You think everybody in Chicago don't know the Mayor moved out of Cabrini? You think the day 10 police officers were shot isn't common knowledge in the city? So because it happened in the 70's it is excused as an "unstable period" but whatever happened in the 90's in L.A. is the benchmark of gangbangin and no circumstances is questioned? That's why I brought up that incident because police killed a man and then 10 police were shot in retaliation. That is more relevant than some L.A. cop saying 55 shootings happened in a month over the entire city. Come on now, cherry picking like always with your county/metro totals and "black murder rate"....Anyways snipers were a regular thing and part of the gangbangin' culture in Chicago.

There were constant shootouts/standoffs with police. "Days" may have been exaggerating but the point remains that shooting at police to stop them from entering was a ritual at every housing project in the city. Also shooters holding paramedics and police back from collecting dead bodies and ivestigating homicide scenes was a regular occurence. This wasn't isolated to the 70's either. Anybody in Chicago knows police couldn't just make entry whenever they felt like it and there are many accounts I'm sure you can find about officers taking gunfire almost daily from the projects throughout the city. The gangs controlled them buildings and they were the most violent projects in the country. This is undeniable history.
I get what you saying but this is midwest news.

I remember when I was in school and some dudes bumped into my man and said " we from Chicago". We were baffled and looked at each other like what does that even mean. The reputation did not precede them we were confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City