Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Makes sense. People come from all over the world for surgeries at MGH and Children's Hospital. Bostons hospitals are second to none in the world as far as I know.
Baltimore's hospitals are quite good...one of them has a claim to being the best in the world as well...maybe the consequences of leaving a shooting victim alive are more serious in Bmore so the killers make sure it doesn't happen....just throwing something out there...certainly wouldn't jump on Boston's hospitals being superior being the reason...hospital staff in Bmore would have more experience with shooting victims as well...I could see Boston being more responsive (911, ambulance times)...would be an interesting study to see why some places have lower shooting death rates than others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:58 AM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Baltimore's hospitals are quite good...one of them has a claim to being the best in the world as well...maybe the consequences of leaving a shooting victim alive are more serious in Bmore so the killers make sure it doesn't happen....just throwing something out there...certainly wouldn't jump on Boston's hospitals being superior being the reason...hospital staff in Bmore would have more experience with shooting victims as well...I could see Boston being more responsive (911, ambulance times)...would be an interesting study to see why some places have lower shooting death rates than others
Boston is more responsive and its a city of only 48 square miles with many hospitals in it, throughout the city. response is faster and i think arrival time at the hospital is probally faster. Aside from that, ive read Baltimore thugs tend to have bigger and better guns than those in Boston and most places. Their guns do more damage, and they probably have more ammo to dispense. They said Baltimore killers are perfecting the 'walk down' tactic of cornering a victims and walking towards him firing rounds... when i find the source again ill post it

Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
They said Baltimore killers are perfecting the 'walk down' tactic of cornering a victims and walking towards him firing rounds... when i find the source again ill post it
Just like on THE WIRE when they killed Boadie

Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 PM

34 posts, read 29,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I read yesterday only 1 out of every 7 Boston shooting victims dies. In Baltimore 1 in every 3 dies.

If Boston had Baltimore death rate from shootings there would have been about 120 homicides last year and about 70 so far this year.

6 people shot in Boston on Saturday Night/Sunday morning about 12-14 hour span, 1 death.

+ 1 Stabbing homicide on Friday. 1 other stabbing and 2 other calls for shots fired Sunday.
Baltimore is notorious for head shots. They shoot to kill there unlike Boston that has a weak gangster scene that just fire shots and occasionally someone dies

I cant find the article im on my phone driving but i read somewhere that like 80% of Baltimore shooting deaths are head shots they even touched on that on the show The Wire as well

Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
Baltimore is notorious for head shots. They shoot to kill there unlike Boston that has a weak gangster scene that just fire shots and occasionally someone dies
Bruh I'm dead lmao

Old 08-27-2019, 10:32 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:

I cant find the article im on my phone driving but i read somewhere that like 80% of Baltimore shooting deaths are head shots they even touched on that on the show The Wire as well

Not 80% but you’re right about the headshots
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

With that said I would think it’s harder to save someone who was shot in the head compared to limbs, torso, chest, etc. Head shots are normally the death nail.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:

I will chose Boston over B'more anytime.
And besides, it seems like the wire is more of a documentary than a fiction

Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Most homicide victims in 2018 were black (291 of all victims) and male (275 victims). More were between the ages of 25 and 29 (78 victims) or 30 to 39 (76). Seventeen victims were juveniles, 10 of whom were under the age of 10. Thirty-four victims were aged 50 or older.

The majority of homicides occurred on the street (185), followed by homes (48) and then vehicles (30). Police said nearly a third involved drug crew or gang members.

A majority of victims had criminal histories. Police said 259 of the 309 victims had records, 219 had prior drug arrests, and 149 were previously arrested for a violent crime.
Is B'more really that dangerous...?

Let us see, if the overwhelming majority of the victims belong to a specific group of people and on top of that are criminals themselves, that makes me wonder...

259 out of 309 had criminal records (219 for narcos)

291 out of 309 were black, meaning just 18 were non black in a city 62.80% black, so 37.20% of the population only saw 18 murders.
In another words, 37.20% of the population only experienced 5.82% of the murders while 62.80% of the population got 94.18% of the murder count...

This tends to be more like Chicago where the overwhelming majority are blacks, young black male young black male with a criminal record.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:

I worked with the Gang Unit in Boston as community liaison-type via 501c3 for two summers. In Boston, there is a lot of pressure within and amongst gangs to keep the "Ra Ra" down and there is a lot of give and take with the police and negotiating. Theyre sort of allowed to deal and do as they please so long as theres no bodies on the ground. Thats just what Ive heard and seen from Sargent and Lieutenants as well as the local reverends up there. From what I have seen drug dealers and gangs in Boston get alot more money because there is less unexpected interruption and much less competition. They have assets and cash thats pretty flush compared to some of the skinny yo's I see on the corner 13 hours a day in Baltimore. But im sure Baltimore moneyed folks are out there in NW and Western Bmore County. I just dont see many young boys doing well.

I dont think the lethal gangsterism really pays and its a symptom of a broken street economy.

Bostons Largest gang:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-charges.html
"The arrests mean 'the Columbia Point Dawgs leadership was effectively dismantled and removed from the community,' Ortiz said.

The investigation has resulted in the seizure of, among other things: 31 firearms; multiple boxes of ammunition; heroin, cocaine, crack cocaine, oxycodone pills, and marijuana, as well as drug trafficking paraphernalia; 15 vehicles, including a Maserati, a Mercedes Benz, and an Audi; and $1.5 million in cash.

Over 500 federal, state, and local law enforcement took part in the operation dubbed Operation Rising Tide."

Aside from the CPD Other Gangs we discussed or are memorable to me

IVP (Intervale Posse)

OPB (Orchard Park Blazers)- the inspiration for the movie In Too Deep

RSO (Real Strong Organization)-Affiliated with CPD (Columbia Point Dawgz)/Benzinos old crew

FNV (Fruits N Vegetables)-a defunct mixed race sang from suburban Boston

TAG (Talbot Ave Grizzlies)-Youth Gang

TNM (The New Movement)- Very young youth gang

HSF (High Society Fam)-Gang of Boston youths from all over the city who dealt with primarily suburban consumers

YBA (Young Black Affiliates)

HBR (H-Block Raiders) One of Bostons most violent gangs https://www.universalhub.com/2013/h-...-war-goes-back

LSD(Lucerne Street Doggz)-Largely defunct was a gang with 80% trained shooters

LSP (Lime Street Posse)-fictional gang depicted in movie 'Squeeze'

CBC (Corbet Street Crew)

SJS (Saint Josephs Saints)

Warren Gardens (feuds with SJS)

Lenox Street Boys

Wood Ave Eagles

Acdemy homes

Bromley Heath

BBMG (BackBlock Money Gang)

The Black Guerilla Family's presence in Baltimore creates a militarized drug scene complete with lowly soldiers (sacrificial lambs), civilian casualties and large warring factions.

In Boston its more of a family affair complete with actual families, and violent family quarrels and rivalries. There are 160 small largely nonviolent gangs in the city but only 80 are considered dangerous and only 30 are active. With fewer driving the gang violence. The definition is very loose

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...ngs-in-boston/
"DaRosa, who is making his second run for an at-large city council seat, thinks the Boston Police Department’s Youth Violence Strike Force, commonly referred to as the gang unit, uses too broad a definition of what a gang is. The BPD’s gang database lists more than 5,300 people either active or inactive in 160 gangs, 100 of which are active. Information on the database obtained by the ACLU of Massachusetts suggests Boston police may have an overly expansive definition of what a gang is and who’s in a gang."

“A group of three or more individuals, whether formal or informal, who has a common name or common identifying signs or colors or symbols or frequent a specific area or location and may claim it as their territory and has members or associates who, individually or collectively engage or have engaged in criminal activity which may involve incidents of targeting rival gang members and/or being targeted by rival gangs.”

Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 AM

52 posts, read 36,452 times
New York City is incredibly safe. For a city with 8 million people to only average 400 murders a year now is incredible. I don’t know what they are at now in the year but it can’t be that high. How did they go from 2000 murders a year back in the early 90s to only 400 now. It baffles me. Don’t get me wrong it’s great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City