Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,452,259 times

Advertisements

Austin, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Austin, TX
Not conclusively, but the fact that Austin is even in the discussion makes for a spirited debate. And depending on how you see things, Fort Worth and San Antonio have their arguments also.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:01 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,083,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Considering NC is the 9th most populous state, I find it a pretty forgettable place. I mean, I hear it's a great place to live, but for some reason, I never hear anything interesting or unique originating from the state. I found the cities and metros pretty standard as well- very general suburbia and unspecial downtowns. The scenery isn't particularly special either.

It's odd because I find Virginia and South Carolina to be full of character, or at least have specific or unique places with a lot of character.

It could just be my own life experience (although I have lived on the west coast, northeast, and mid-Atlantic).
Um, think again..... Mount Mitchell, NC, is only the highest mountain in all of the eastern United States - 6,684 feet. (2,200 meters).

Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,949,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Regarding traditional traits, the people and culture of Atlanta isn't an outlier compared to the people and culture of Georgia.
Meaning what, exactly?

Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Arguably, Pennsylvania culture is much more defined by Pittsburgh and the smaller steel cities than by Philadelphia which has always felt a world apart from the rest of Pennsylvania. .
Pennsylvania's economy by and large was historically defined by extractive industries (coal mining) and heavy industry, especially steelmaking but also the manufacture of locomotives (Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia and later GE in Erie).

They mined coal in Northeast Pennsylvania, the area around Reading, and parts of the Southwest. They made steel in the Southwest, though Phoenixville and Coatesville in the Southeast had mills too.

But much of the rest of the state, especially Lancaster County in the southeast, relied on agriculture and food processing.

Yes, the Southeast is a world apart from the rest of Pennsylvania, but to an extent so is the Southwest. Especially politically: the counties containing the two biggest cities (Philadelphia is a county and a city) were and remain solidly Democratic while most of what we call "the T" is overwhelmingly Republican. (Philly's suburbs, once reliably Republican, have taken on a purplish tinge of late (Montgomery, the most populous of them, has pretty much turned blue), while Pittsburgh's surrounding counties, which voted as Allegheny did often enough, went deep red in the last election, as their economies have never recovered from the loss of steel.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMO, neither the Southeast or the Southwest "define" Pennsylvania - this state is more varied than that. But there is this: geographically and geologically speaking, most of Pennsylvania lies in Appalachia. The Southeast does not. And the Southeast is part of the Northeast megalopolis, while no other part of the state lies in it (though one can make an argument that the Lehigh Valley has become a sort-of exurb of greater New York and York is becoming a sort-of exurb of Baltimore/Washington).

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,398,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Meaning what, exactly?
So you live in Atlanta yet you're unaware that, traditionally, white residents of the Atlanta area and white residents in the rest of Georgia are of the same cultural makeup. Really ?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times
Possibly in Wisconsin, where Madison often receives more attention than Milwaukee. Madison does have the state capital, the flagship campus of UW, and has grown considerably over the past 20 years..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City