Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 PM

25 posts, read 18,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
You've obviously never ever ever set foot in LA if you believe white women don't go for Black men. Same with Austin but LA would be paradise for you if women is that important. I don't know where you're getting this crazy information from or if you're trolling but sounds like LA San Diego or Austin would be perfect. You don't have to be black to enjoy Atlanta lol Whites make up a large % of Atlanta and they seem to like it too.
XD I never have, I won't lie, most of the information that I get from cities is mostly online so if it's perceived as ignorant or totally wrong, It's only what I've see on some forums here more than likely. I don't really get the chance to travel a lot. I don't believe these things wholeheartedly, I take it with a grain of salt and that's why I try to seek more info from you guys. I honestly don't mean to come across as a troll i just genuinely wanted to know.

Further more, women aren't the #1 priority to me lol, I just wanna make sure the dating scene is pretty good for a guy like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The cities I listed are far from "small." They will surprise you and are more medium large, not small. In fact, in warm weather, Louisville and Nashville feel much more dense, urban, and vibrant than Tampa! They are much more developed from downtown and radiating out in contiguous neighborhoods with urban strips for pedestrians and interesting shops and restaurants. If you'd like examples of streets in Louisville and Nashville that fit this criteria, I can give you them to see the yellow shaded commercial corridors on google street view.
It's ok , You don't have to, I can google some recommended neighborhoods more than likely. I do appreciate the kind offer though! I never hear much about those cities and their YP scene, so that's intriguing.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
It's ok , You don't have to, I can google some recommended neighborhoods more than likely. I do appreciate the kind offer though! I never hear much about those cities and their YP scene, so that's intriguing.
Neighborhoods | New2Lou

This is not all but a start.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM

227 posts, read 198,087 times
Quote:
The cities I listed are far from "small." They will surprise you and are more medium large, not small. In fact, in warm weather, Louisville and Nashville feel much more dense, urban, and vibrant than Tampa! They are much more developed from downtown and radiating out in contiguous neighborhoods with urban strips for pedestrians and interesting shops and restaurants. If you'd like examples of streets in Louisville and Nashville that fit this criteria, I can give you them to see the yellow shaded commercial corridors on google street view.
Nashville and Louisville are not at all comparable.

And in what world is Louisville and Richmond "medium-to-large" cities?

OP, honestly, Nashville might be interesting to you. Dallas or Austin sounds right for you though.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:46 PM

432 posts, read 285,001 times
LA would be my choice but I'm from San Diego and visit once a month. LA is just San Diego on steroids. SD is laid back less of a rat race but the military makes it different than other coastal California cities. It's still liberal but there's a small town conservative feel at times especially when you go more inland San Diego. San Diego better traffic, can drive to Mexico in 20m, and doesn't feel like a big city. LA more to do because it's bigger, better food, and higher paying jobs. Homeless is an issue for both, crime in San Diego is always low compared to other big cities but LA is good as well.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Dallas and Austin will be your least culturally Southern cities that are located in the South. The Dallas area is quite a bit larger than Austin with more cultural diversity/entertainment and things to do.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Be more specific? If you want a bigger city I'd consider Tampa, Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix (Scottsdale). However if you don't like Atlanta, I doubt you will like any of these.

If you want a midsized city I could see you fitting nicely in Austin, Louisville, Nashville or Richmond. Everyone knows I am big on Louisville and also Richmond because they are still affordable and not over hyped. Especially Louisville is at least average safety, easy to enjoy the entire city (vs big cities where you are often stuck on one end of town due to the hassle of crossing congestion to get an hour to the other side). The Triad and RDU don't feel centralized enough to me...they are a collection of college towns within 4o miles that group together into a midsized CSA that CD folks love to over tout because they don't live or feel at all like a 2 million metro (except the sprawl and traffic).

Orlando may surprise you too. Great nightlife downtown. If you are only concerned with the club scene, Orlando, Austin, Nashville win.

Louisville and Richmond are a bit more urban, and also hipster with great restaurants, park, music scenes and dirt cheap rent (especially Louisville. Think waaaaay smaller versions of Baltimore/DC or Chicago, if those are your style of city (red brick and a bit of grit). They have good nightlife too in the neighborhoods....just not as touristy and swarms of folks every night like the three midsized southern boomtowns listed above.
Richmond and Louisville are way too cold given the OP's stated requirements.
Frankly, anything north of the 33th parallel is probably going to be too cold for him. That knocks out everything in TN, NC, much of SC too.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Your questions about LA traffic and how it impacts lifestyle- if you make enough money that you can live within a few miles of work, then the traffic isn't a deal breaker. You will probably find you spend more of your time in a smaller geographic area. I probably leave a 5 mile radius from my home in Central LA a couple of times a month to do stuff, not because traffic traps me, but just because there's so much to do in that area that there is no need to leave. There is definitely a lot of cool stuff outside that area, and I do try some new places, but there is so much stuff I haven't even explored in my own neighborhood in the last decade that I don't feel compelled to leave.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Nashville and Louisville are not at all comparable.

And in what world is Louisville and Richmond "medium-to-large" cities?

OP, honestly, Nashville might be interesting to you. Dallas or Austin sounds right for you though.
I hear good things about Austin, haven't heard a lot about Dallas though. The COL is VERY affordable compared to LA. Not that I couldn't afford LA, but that's a lot more money I could throw which is intriguing. However I suppose that would mean less amenities as well.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas and Austin will be your least culturally Southern cities that are located in the South. The Dallas area is quite a bit larger than Austin with more cultural diversity/entertainment and things to do.
Really? Austin is hyped up as the "mecca" of all Texas cities I feel like on here lol. I'm gonna have to look into Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City