Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:13 PM

25 posts, read 18,443 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I made a forum not to long ago discussing whether San Diego or Chicago was for me. I've learned Chicago is DEF without a doubt, not for me. However, I don't think San Diego is either.

Things about me (little more detailed than the last)

- powerlifter/bodybuilder
- I'm a mixed guy, I don't know if that matters (I'm native american and black so I kind of look Hispanic but me being taller kinda gives it away)
- Salaries for my job would be lowest in florida (90-95k), Tex is pretty decent (110k- 120k) or (100k)< many of the southern states. California (140k-160k) typically
- I dress pretty casual preppy (vineyard vines, patagonia, fayette chill, Birkenstocks, etc.) so maybe looking for a culture i'll fit into rather than be an outcast
- I don't really care that much about skyscrapers back to back and what not. As long as I have fun outdoorsy things to do, a good social circle, large dating pool, good or great amount of amenities, I'm pretty much set
- I really like heat or warmth (I stated I liked the Hottest of the hot previously, I'm good as long as it doesn't snow and go past 40 on a regular basis)
- looking for a Pretty good nightlife (good not "ok")
-I like white/Hispanic girls HOWEVER I am very open to all races.

No Go's

Miami- It was definitely in the runner up but it has an INCREDIBLE amount of HIV/AIDS present down there. Seriously, like 1 in 54 people down there are shown to have AIDS in the surrounding areas. Its like swimming in a shark infested waters and hoping you don't get bit. Only so much our rubber friend can do gentlemen.

Atlanta
Lol no. As much as it hurts to say this but I don't really resonate with most of the black culture. I LOVE Hip hop/rap and I love my race and culture, but I've been called "white boy" by the white kids in my high school growing up so me fitting here, just can't see it. Not really into to black chicks either.

Last words

I feel like LA is really nice (specially the Santa Monica/Venice area) but the traffic seems nightmarish. I would plan on living 5 miles from the workplace but I feel like shopping, going out etc would be pretty bad, however I am ignorant to this. LOTS of jobs for me in LA in my job field

Austin seems nice but I fear for the dating scene. From what I hear, it seems like girls here and LA typically go for that WASP look from what I see on here. I'm not here to b$#@# and moan ab how lifes not fair (like some of these posters do) , I just think you make yourself look the most attractive you can and shoot your shot, whatever race. Simple. I just want to have a pretty good dating/hook up scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM

no one?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Dallas? Houston?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas? Houston?
Which do you recommend?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,758,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
Which do you recommend?
Be more specific? If you want a bigger city I'd consider Tampa, Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix (Scottsdale). However if you don't like Atlanta, I doubt you will like any of these.

If you want a midsized city I could see you fitting nicely in Austin, Louisville, Nashville or Richmond. Everyone knows I am big on Louisville and also Richmond because they are still affordable and not over hyped. Especially Louisville is at least average safety, easy to enjoy the entire city (vs big cities where you are often stuck on one end of town due to the hassle of crossing congestion to get an hour to the other side). The Triad and RDU don't feel centralized enough to me...they are a collection of college towns within 4o miles that group together into a midsized CSA that CD folks love to over tout because they don't live or feel at all like a 2 million metro (except the sprawl and traffic).

Orlando may surprise you too. Great nightlife downtown. If you are only concerned with the club scene, Orlando, Austin, Nashville win.

Louisville and Richmond are a bit more urban, and also hipster with great restaurants, park, music scenes and dirt cheap rent (especially Louisville. Think waaaaay smaller versions of Baltimore/DC or Chicago, if those are your style of city (red brick and a bit of grit). They have good nightlife too in the neighborhoods....just not as touristy and swarms of folks every night like the three midsized southern boomtowns listed above.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM

432 posts, read 285,873 times
You've obviously never ever ever set foot in LA if you believe white women don't go for Black men. Same with Austin but LA would be paradise for you if women is that important. I don't know where you're getting this crazy information from or if you're trolling but sounds like LA San Diego or Austin would be perfect. You don't have to be black to enjoy Atlanta lol Whites make up a large % of Atlanta and they seem to like it too.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM

2,824 posts, read 2,292,611 times
Maybe San Diego. It has a lot of the attributes of LA in a more manageable size.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Maybe San Diego. It has a lot of the attributes of LA in a more manageable size.
It's the dream but INSANELY expensive and frankly the economy isn't all that it is cracked up to be. That's why I recommended the cities above.

If the OP hates ATL, he probably hates sprawl and likes older cities. If he is ok with medium large cities, I really think Louisville fits the bill, possibly Richmond but it has more crime.

Nashville, Austin, Orlando are the best combination of still relatively affordable (but still probably twice the rent of Louisville on the high end), weather, and singles nightlife. I prefer Louisville for the home base and with Allegiant and Frontier, great 100 dollar flights everywhere fun and also 2.5 hours drive to Nashville. Best of all worlds and a luxury 2 bed apartment for $800. I also like Louisville because you get actual spring and fall. orlando and austin are 90 degrees in March and November when Louisville is sitting comfortable at 60s. Climate wise, Louisville is more prone to rapid temperature swings. As an example, it was almost 70 last week in Louisville. It is 28 right now!

Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Be more specific? If you want a bigger city I'd consider Tampa, Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix (Scottsdale). However if you don't like Atlanta, I doubt you will like any of these.

If you want a midsized city I could see you fitting nicely in Austin, Louisville, Nashville or Richmond. Everyone knows I am big on Louisville and also Richmond because they are still affordable and not over hyped. Especially Louisville is at least average safety, easy to enjoy the entire city (vs big cities where you are often stuck on one end of town due to the hassle of crossing congestion to get an hour to the other side). The Triad and RDU don't feel centralized enough to me...they are a collection of college towns within 4o miles that group together into a midsized CSA that CD folks love to over tout because they don't live or feel at all like a 2 million metro (except the sprawl and traffic).

Orlando may surprise you too. Great nightlife downtown. If you are only concerned with the club scene, Orlando, Austin, Nashville win.

Louisville and Richmond are a bit more urban, and also hipster with great restaurants, park, music scenes and dirt cheap rent (especially Louisville. Think waaaaay smaller versions of Baltimore/DC or Chicago, if those are your style of city (red brick and a bit of grit). They have good nightlife too in the neighborhoods....just not as touristy and swarms of folks every night like the three midsized southern boomtowns listed above.
Lol How much more specific did you want? I never said I didn't like Atlanta it's just the things I've heard ab it and the culture. I could totally be wrong though. Tampa and Dallas sound like possibilities. I like how you added some small underrated cities in there. I'll be on the look out for them! Red brick I don't think is for me though.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
Lol How much more specific did you want? I never said I didn't like Atlanta it's just the things I've heard ab it and the culture. I could totally be wrong though. Tampa and Dallas sound like possibilities. I like how you added some small underrated cities in there. I'll be on the look out for them! Red brick I don't think is for me though.
The cities I listed are far from "small." They will surprise you and are more medium large, not small. In fact, in warm weather, Louisville and Nashville feel much more dense, urban, and vibrant than Tampa! They are much more developed from downtown and radiating out in contiguous neighborhoods with urban strips for pedestrians and interesting shops and restaurants. If you'd like examples of streets in Louisville and Nashville that fit this criteria, I can give you them to see the yellow shaded commercial corridors on google street view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City