Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 09:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Did you just say Houston is big on country? Genuinely curious, have you ever been here?

The biggest genre of music here is rap by far.
Country is National too. Just less in Major cities. Rap lovers in Central PA also. But plenty Country too as it is far less dominated by one age group. Texas is more Southern then not. Houston boast being the Most Southern major city in Texas. Country songs highlight Texas in them. Houston is a product if its whole metro also with its still vast suburbia stretches. But a large African American base in cities does increase likelihood of Rap more hyped. Age also.

Being in Houston doesn't mean you see it as a Rap base like Atlanta claims. If Country radio has few Country FM radio stations? You must be right.

I should avoid lumping Houston with the rest of Texas as I don't with Atlanta and Georgia too. Clearly, Philly in my State is more Rap oriented them my area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Undocumented people are counted in the Census right? Or, should we add 600K to Greater Houston? I know this is a dumb question.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:39 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Houston even in the suburbs is really big in rap, in fact our biggest artist, Travis Scott is from Suburban Houston. I think this year's rodeo George Straight and Cardi B were first to sell out tickets. Rap is by far the biggest genre of music, but as this is Texas, Houston is no Nashville or even Austin, but it attracts and has many country artists as well. I don't know a High School in Fort Bend County or even Montgomery County or Galveston County were Rap is not the number one genre of music. Only once you get into East Houston and Southern Houston like Southern Brazoria County (essentially Brazoria County that isn't Pearland) do you really see younger folk listening to Country more. Unlike many cities, I can't think of an area were Rock music is dominant in Houston, in places were it's popular it's often second after Rap (suburbs that aren't Country/ Give early 2000s Suburban movie vibe).
But if I had to rate music of Houston in general

Rap

Country

Rock
Pop

everything else.

People associate Rap with black people, but unless your a real Down South gangster rapper who isn't mainstream your fan-base is literally majority white or less than 40% black for every other rapper. Dallas is similar in that the two biggest artists of recent Post Malone and Tay-K are both people from the suburbs of Dallas although the latter wanted to be associated with being hood. Brockhampton as well follow this pattern.

Rap is by far the number one genre, all you have to see is how much a Pop song today can't be made without rapping, and people who wanted to be rockstars/rockstar-like (Post Malone) and (Lil Uzi Vert) are rappers. Even Country has people trying to rap. BTS the biggest boy band/ biggest group in the world period literally call some of their members rappers. Everything from R and B to Country to Rock to Pop have become much more "rappy", adopt "Rap production values", and you have groups like The Gorrilaz and Twenty One Pilots who straight up rap, not to mention Maroon 5 collabing with rappers as well as Pop music literally is rap at this point (Bruno Mars songs). Then you bring in the fact that the most famous Americans are from the island of Puerto Rico and Reggaeton is heavily influenced by rap You can see the takeover is already complete.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:00 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,486 times
Quote:
Did you just say Houston is big on country? Genuinely curious, have you ever been here?

The biggest genre of music here is rap by far.
DavePa doesn't have a clue about Houston, Texas, or the South beyond what is posted on City Data forums. I admire his effort, though.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Undocumented people are counted in the Census right? Or, should we add 600K to Greater Houston? I know this is a dumb question.
That’s not a dumb question. I was confused by it at first too.

They are counted in the estimates.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:49 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Rap is by far the number one genre, all you have to see is how much a Pop song today can't be made without rapping, and people who wanted to be rockstars/rockstar-like (Post Malone) and (Lil Uzi Vert) are rappers. Even Country has people trying to rap. BTS the biggest boy band/ biggest group in the world period literally call some of their members rappers. Everything from R and B to Country to Rock to Pop have become much more "rappy", adopt "Rap production values", and you have groups like The Gorrilaz and Twenty One Pilots who straight up rap, not to mention Maroon 5 collabing with rappers as well as Pop music literally is rap at this point (Bruno Mars songs). Then you bring in the fact that the most famous Americans are from the island of Puerto Rico and Reggaeton is heavily influenced by rap You can see the takeover is already complete.
Exactly. This is something that people who try to depict hip hop as some niche genre with limited appeal obviously miss.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
I didn’t take issue with anything you said except this:

Geographic proximity has very little to do with it at all. Chicago and Dallas’ foreign born and illegal Mexican population is higher than Houston’s. Houston just has a lot more illegal immigrants from Central America. If proximity was the reason for illegal immigration from south of the border, you’ll have to explain Chicago’s very high illegal immigration population. Don’t forget NYC has the highest undocumented population and it’s not a car ride away from any country except Canada.

Geography is not the answer here.
Geography isn't everything but it certainly plays a huge role. NYC has a high undocumented population for a very obvious reason... it's the unofficial capital of America and has always been an immigrant magnet. Chicago is similar to NYC, though not as pronounced, and it's also at the crossroads of multiple major interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Hell even EDM uses a lot of rap songs (old and new school).

Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. This is something that people who try to depict hip hop as some niche genre with limited appeal obviously miss.
I just couldn’t get over someone thinking country is bigger than rap in Houston.

If we’re talking about music we can’t leave our Dallas. It’s the most musically diverse of the three IMO, but it doesn’t stand out in one category.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
I just couldn’t get over someone thinking country is bigger than rap in Houston.

If we’re talking about music we can’t leave our Dallas. It’s the most musically diverse of the three IMO, but it doesn’t stand out in one category.
I don't think Dallas is the most musically diverse since in Houston you get all what Dallas has, plus more local influences that often come from Louisiana or Mexico (like Zydeco). Dallas may have a larger rock/punk scene, but it's not non-existent in Houston. That's about all I see though, but maybe I'm missing something.

Agree that there's no way country is larger than rap/hip-hop in Houston. A lot of the Houston hip-hop sound has been running rap (and lately pop) music since 2008-09.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:

I'm not young by far. Sure Rap is not MY preference. Though I like some in ALL genres Just the takeover in influence in Top 20 music overall. Is more recent. Before a couple years ago ..... it was not most in Top 20. Still young groups that were more Rock then not. rhymes.

The South is still a Country genre stronghold. Just less in major its metro's as noted..... Country and Rap ARE National in scope today. Country just such a looooong run with Rock. I can go back 10-years or so .... and much harder to find a Country genre FM station yet by me. Then there was new ones that popped up and some changed their format to Country with success.

But I noted A CURRENT TREND tend in FM station formats by me recently (clearly note it has nothing to do with Houston). That was FM radio stations changing to a 80s thru today's music saying .... best hit format and one Classic Rock that seems more 70s and another All 80s.

To me ..... it is a bit of a backlash to Raps influence takeover in Top 20. The is merely MY Opinion in the observing this change I noted on my work commute in my car. No Sirius, just FM.

My workplace even utilizes a 80s thru today station. Pleases all ages most. It even plays ALL 80s on weekends.

Of course I knew that era I was in my 20s for.

I concede if Houston and Dallas is now far more Rap preferred then say Country? But if Texas overall leaves Country behind .... It is the next genre to fade. But I see few if any of such signs by me in the North in Central PA. Still represents, primarily being a Redneck to them. Heck, you even can see a occasional Confederate Flag as a front License plate on a Big pick-up. I See a occasional window sticker to the flag on a home.

It denotes to them a badarsed-Redneck and most likely a staunch gun supporter and Trump's base one, with a degree of White Pride. It is what it is .... in the era of political high rhetoric dividing us more and more in some ways.

I will have to search FM radio when in Texas next time (no plans in a visit again sadly soon) there. See if County still has a good amount in FM stations represented. Maybe they are dwindling in Texas? God forbid .....

Last edited by DavePa; 02-19-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City