Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has better food?
Philadelphia 62 68.13%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times

Advertisements

Yo, why are Nashville residents taking shots at ATL all of a sudden? Country music and Bluegrass hub, we get it. Fried chicken sandwiches smothered in Tabasco sauce and now every other city is unoriginal now. This is the same city that's famous for a fake Parthenon building. Gotta worry about Salt Lake and Charlotte first man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 11:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Nope. It was given that name by GDOT and a firm they hired to envision redevelopment of a 'part of downtown bordered by Underground Atlanta to the east, Philips Arena to the west, and Mitchell Street to the south, and including various adjacent parcels." The firm, Kimley-Horn tagged the area "The Gulch" in 2012, as it was similar in many ways to the section of Nashville called The Gulch, which had been under redevelopment for fifteen years. -Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 11, 2012.

In fact, there is no official reference to that portion of downtown as "the Gulch" prior to 2012. For most of the city's history, it was the site of two passenger terminals. And before the viaduct system completed in the 1930s, it was actually considered the heart of town. Sure, it created a gulch, but old official maps of the city do not refer to the area as The Gulch. During the rapid suburban growth that occurred in the second half of the century, the area became all but ignored.
Dude, the area is a literal railroad gulch so actually naming it "the Gulch" wasn't some kind of stretch; it's descriptive. This is a reach if there ever was one.

And this is really funny coming from someone whose city has neighborhoods named Capitol Hill and Broadway.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-10-2019 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
There's no neighborhood called Broadway, as you undoubtedly know. You also know that all the neighborhoods of downtown which did not exist 15 years ago have original names, even one named Pietown (like it or not). But Nashville didn't look to other places to see what to call those areas. When I think of the two cities, that's actually the thing I first think of, the originality of the places. How's your Centennial Park doing? Your Beltline? Your Capitol Hill (such as it is)?

Atlanta could have named it anything... Mitchell Street, King District (my favorite), Hub, Mile Zero (very historic btw), the Merge (railroads), Capitol District, Commerce District, South of Marietta (SoMa)... but they copied Nashville. How flattering.

As they say... imitation is the sincerest form of envy. So li'l ol' Nashville is being watched very closely by Atlanta these days. I guess they've arrived.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Yo, why are Nashville residents taking shots at ATL all of a sudden? Country music and Bluegrass hub, we get it. Fried chicken sandwiches smothered in Tabasco sauce and now every other city is unoriginal now. This is the same city that's famous for a fake Parthenon building. Gotta worry about Salt Lake and Charlotte first man.
This... wins Ignorant Post of the Day. Congrats.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
There's no neighborhood called Broadway, as you undoubtedly know. You also know that all the neighborhoods of downtown which did not exist 15 years ago have original names, even one named Pietown (like it or not). But Nashville didn't look to other places to see what to call those areas. When I think of the two cities, that's actually the thing I first think of, the originality of the places. How's your Centennial Park doing? Your Beltline? Your Capitol Hill (such as it is)?

Atlanta could have named it anything... Mitchell Street, King District (my favorite), Hub, Mile Zero (very historic btw), the Merge (railroads), Capitol District, Commerce District, South of Marietta (SoMa)... but they copied Nashville. How flattering.

As they say... imitation is the sincerest form of envy. So li'l ol' Nashville is being watched very closely by Atlanta these days. I guess they've arrived.
Lol, they named the area for what it is, and the railroads are why Atlanta even exists in the first place. But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night.

This is all just so laughable. Nashville isn't even part of this discussion but I guess the boosters are bored.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:

such weird vibe coming from this . nashville is a great city no need to chuck rocks for attention. at the end of the day atlanta is just in different league. it's like comparing providence to boston or comparing atlanta to philly on food for that matter.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
such weird vibe coming from this . nashville is a great city no need to chuck rocks for attention. at the end of the day atlanta is just in different league. it's like comparing providence to boston or comparing atlanta to philly on food for that matter.
One day someone should introduce you to punctuation. What an inscrutable post!

But to (what I think is) your point, this is just pushback that comes naturally to all the snide posts (Nashville's a hick town! Only Country & Gospel! etc.) Remember, this is a post of Philly vs. Atlanta. I made the point (correctly) that Philly has a deeper, richer and much more original food heritage than Atlanta boosters could ever hope to have. As an example of a lack or originality, I pointed to Atlanta's "Gulch". But (predictably) that didn't sit well with the Atlanta fan-units. Doesn't it give you pause, that you're so easy to trigger?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Nashvillian, your city is nice, I'm sure but can ATL and Philly people get back to their dialogue? I really don't think ATL is checking for Nashville like that but it's good that you have strong civic pride kid.

Back to the topic:
Philly has Stromboli, the cheese steak, water ice, subs/hoagies, etc.

Hometown has soul food, smoke houses, BBQ, wings, etc.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
One day someone should introduce you to punctuation. What an inscrutable post!

But to (what I think is) your point, this is just pushback that comes naturally to all the snide posts (Nashville's a hick town! Only Country & Gospel! etc.) Remember, this is a post of Philly vs. Atlanta. I made the point (correctly) that Philly has a deeper, richer and much more original food heritage than Atlanta boosters could ever hope to have. As an example of a lack or originality, I pointed to Atlanta's "Gulch". But (predictably) that didn't sit well with the Atlanta fan-units. Doesn't it give you pause, that you're so easy to trigger?
The Gulch has nothing to do with food, nor does it prove some sort of "lack of originality" on Atlanta's part. We could sit here all day and talk about cities taking development/nomenclature cues from other cities all day (like Nashville's "SoBro" which clearly emulated NYC) but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the food scenes of each city.

Has nothing to do with being "triggered" and everything to do with staying on topic. Yours was the snide post that started it all.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Nashvillian, your city is nice, I'm sure but can ATL and Philly people get back to their dialogue? I really don't think ATL is checking for Nashville like that but it's good that you have strong civic pride kid.

Back to the topic:
Philly has Stromboli, the cheese steak, water ice, subs/hoagies, etc.

Hometown has soul food, smoke houses, BBQ, wings, etc.
If there's anything type of food that is Atlanta's "thing," it's definitely chicken wings. THE best lemon pepper wings I've ever had in life was from a joint in downtown Atlanta.

Quote:
The city’s food scene serves as a clear metaphor for Atlanta at large. Yes, there’s a thriving culinary movement. Yes, most delicacies (Southern and otherwise) can be found with exquisite authenticity in the South’s most important city. But that also creates a world in which Atlanta falls into the trap of the jack-of-all-trades, master of none. You can find every kind of signature southern BBQ in the city, for example, yet it's one of the few parts of the region without a well-known signature spin on the genre.

Through all of these changes, there has long been one dish just sitting there—hiding in plain sight—waiting to be officially recognized as Atlanta’s most singular food: wings. There are places as far as Arizona, New York, and Texas with establishments called “ATL Wings,” because of the city’s reputation—one rightfully deserved when the occasional stroll in town will have you seeing the bones of discarded flats littering the sidewalks, as if they were cigarette butts. But it's not just wings, generically. After a lengthy hiatus from Atlanta, it was an episode of television and a pilgrimage home for the holidays that served as a reminder that, above all types of wings, it was lemon pepper in Atlanta that stood above the rest. Because they were ours.
https://firstwefeast.com/eat/lemon-pepper-wings-atlanta

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/dini...-lemon-pepper/
https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...-wing-obession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City