Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:51 AM

51 posts, read 49,158 times

Advertisements

Dc and New York has the largest concentration of black millionaires in America, what is the culture of being rich and black in DC and how does it differentiate from being rich and black in NY, like schools, social circles, jobs, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGreggs55 View Post
Dc and New York has the largest concentration of black millionaires in America, what is the culture of being rich and black in DC and how does it differentiate from being rich and black in NY, like schools, social circles, jobs, etc
Aside from the question above, can anyone provide sources for the claims that DC and NYC has more black millionaires than Atlanta? I’m aware that median incomes in DC and NYC tend to be higher than Atlanta, so that’s not the question. I want to see the figures of the number of black millionaires in DC and NYC vs Atlanta.

It’s Sunday, I’ve got time today...

Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 AM

51 posts, read 49,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Aside from the question above, can anyone provide sources for the claims that DC and NYC has more black millionaires than Atlanta? I’m aware that median incomes in DC and NYC tend to be higher than Atlanta, so that’s not the question. I want to see the figures of the number of black millionaires in DC and NYC vs Atlanta.

Atlanta black people are not rich, they are middle class

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:44 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:

I mean, I can speak to a limited piece of it. I haven’t seen all the data and fully looked into it but DC and NYC are on a completely different level. Cities with the highest concentration of AA making over $100K, I think Atlanta was #8 or #9 on the list.

Atlanta has a very strong, probably the strongest in the country, Black middle class. And clearly there’s a lot of reality TV stars, etc out there, but in terms of true wealth that goes to DC and NYC imo.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 PM

[quote=PaulGreggs55;54520688]Atlanta black people are not rich, they are middle class

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Median Black Household Income Zip Code Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I looked and looked. All I saw was HHI figures, which I specifically said I realized that incomes in NYC and DC are higher as is the cost of living.

Do you or do you not have a list of cities/metro areas showing the numbers of black millionaires? I don’t think you do...

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:44 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I mean, I can speak to a limited piece of it. I haven’t seen all the data and fully looked into it but DC and NYC are on a completely different level. Cities with the highest concentration of AA making over $100K, I think Atlanta was #8 or #9 on the list.

Atlanta has a very strong, probably the strongest in the country, Black middle class. And clearly there’s a lot of reality TV stars, etc out there, but in terms of true wealth that goes to DC and NYC imo.
Well, for starters let me say that I’m not disputing your claims. Nor is what I’m about to say an attempt to dance around them. But...

Atlanta is a smaller city than DC and a MUCH smaller city that NYC. So based off that alone, Atlanta is at a disadvantage. If they used the metropolitan area, still Atlanta is smaller than the DMV area and NYC. So, still there’s an inherent disadvantage that Atlanta faces in terms of flat out numbers regardless of city or metro figures being used. Especially if they combine DC with Baltimore.

So, let’s just say that we’re using percentages instead of numbers. Are they using real estate in determining the net worth of these millionaires? If so, well, there goes the crown to NYC and DC just off real estate alone.

And then there’s this: how many of these millionaires are in the $1,000,000-$1,999,999 range of liquid assets verses those of $5 million or true HNWI over $30 million?

I have a hard time believing that Atlanta with all of its musicians, actors, TV Stars, song writers, music producers, film producers, on top of the usual business owners, trust fund babies, doctors, lawyers, and CEOs is behind DC. And if so, on the higher end (above $5 million in liquid assesets or more) I believe Atlanta would come out on top.

NYC, I would still believe to be head and shoulders above both, probably even if you combined the two. Especially considering both Jay-Z and Diddy call New York home. I believe the wealthiest famous black Atlantan would be Tyler Perry. I believe DC and NYC can claim one black billionaire each, too. Which is something that I don’t think Atlanta can.

But if someone has a link or source, there are still hours left in this Holy Day.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Well, for starters let me say that I’m not disputing your claims. Nor is what I’m about to say an attempt to dance around them. But...

Atlanta is a smaller city than DC and a MUCH smaller city that NYC. So based off that alone, Atlanta is at a disadvantage. If they used the metropolitan area, still Atlanta is smaller than the DMV area and NYC. So, still there’s an inherent disadvantage that Atlanta faces in terms of flat out numbers regardless of city or metro figures being used. Especially if they combine DC with Baltimore.

So, let’s just say that we’re using percentages instead of numbers. Are they using real estate in determining the net worth of these millionaires? If so, well, there goes the crown to NYC and DC just off real estate alone.

And then there’s this: how many of these millionaires are in the $1,000,000-$1,999,999 range of liquid assets verses those of $5 million or true HNWI over $30 million?

I have a hard time believing that Atlanta with all of its musicians, actors, TV Stars, song writers, music producers, film producers, on top of the usual business owners, trust fund babies, doctors, lawyers, and CEOs is behind DC. And if so, on the higher end (above $5 million in liquid assesets or more) I believe Atlanta would come out on top.

NYC, I would still believe to be head and shoulders above both, probably even if you combined the two. Especially considering both Jay-Z and Diddy call New York home. I believe the wealthiest famous black Atlantan would be Tyler Perry. I believe DC and NYC can claim one black billionaire each, too. Which is something that I don’t think Atlanta can.

But if someone has a link or source, there are still hours left in this Holy Day.
Do you have a source that details the amount of black millionaires in Atlanta?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Do you have a source that details the amount of black millionaires in Atlanta?
Why are you asking me for the same thing I’m asking them for? Scram.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:10 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
Fair question...I am not convinced NYC and especially DC have more Black millionaires than Atlanta...NYC probably does because of pure size but I think DC and Atl have a higher percentage of Black millionaires...would be interesting to know

Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Fair question...I am not convinced NYC and especially DC have more Black millionaires than Atlanta...NYC probably does because of pure size but I think DC and Atl have a higher percentage of Black millionaires...would be interesting to know
By percentage certainly would be DC/Atlanta, but NYC (especially by metro) is significantly larger than both and does very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City